2018 Pre-Season Thread

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Please, if a bunch of white guys had a band called "Wang Chung" today, they'd be publicly humiliated, lose their record contract, and have to give up music. 

You 100% know more than a few will scream cultural misappropriation to that name.

What's interesting is that their original name was Huang Chung which is Mandarin for the first note in the Chinese music scale.  It is pronounced the same way but when they signed a new record deal right before they got big the record company forced them to change their name because too many people were mispronouncing them as "Hung Chung"

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the showcase last year in Buffalo, unfortunately the game I made it to we got pummeled by Pittsburgh and Nico wasn't playing, Speers had a great snipe in that game though. It's just a nice app

That's insane. Absolutely insane. They were not talking as if he was supposed to be a big deal or anything. Little did we know how important that pick was. I mean seriously, who would have though

"When Hell freezes over" should be the answer. 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You 100% know more than a few will scream cultural misappropriation to that name.

What's interesting is that their original name was Huang Chung which is Mandarin for the first note in the Chinese music scale.  It is pronounced the same way but when they signed a new record deal right before they got big the record company forced them to change their name because too many people were mispronouncing them as "Hung Chung"

I think I like Hung Chung even better. 

That's what she said. 

18 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I used to own a bunch of Rockies and Scouts for a bit back about 8-10 years or so ago.  I wore them back when there would be either no one else or at most 1 other person with a Rockies or Scouts jersey on either.  It definitely grabbed people's attention back then.  These days I see about 3-5 people wearing one or the other (or both) and many times they are these god-awful reproductions where the mountain is in a horrible weird "mound" shape or one of those Mitchell & Ness dress jerseys.

My first foray into Rockies' jerseys was when I bought the M&N Ramage jersey (the one I traded to you for the Dean preseason GW)...that was a LONG time ago...I want to say that I bought that in 2004 (I can't remember).  We've been over the M&N "fit"...heavy material, mini-skirt-like fit...I segued into CCM versions of Rockies jerseys (authentics that look nice, but on the blues have incorrectly proportioned stripes)...I liked wearing those for a while (especially my home and away Resches), but as we've discussed, one thing that was definitely annoying was hearing occasional boos from brain-damaged Devils fans who were convinced that I was wearing a Rangers jersey (from a distance).  I still dig my Rockies stuff (also have a McDonald, a misspelled MacDonald, and a blank white), but just don't see myself breaking one out anytime soon.  And yeah, a lot of bad knockoffs of Rockies jerseys for sure. 

I don't mind the white Scouts jerseys, and I have one of those (CCM replica #9 Paiement, no name, just the number), but the blue Scouts jerseys are REALLY hard on the eyes.  I have a M&N Paiement that I bought super-cheap on ebay (it's a legit jersey), that I don't think that I've ever worn. 

18 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know that your story is the correct one, but the other one I've heard (in a couple of places, oddly enough) is that the Wang Chung moniker wasn't actually Chinese in origin, but the sound one makes when nailing a couple of hard notes on a guitar (strumming down, then up):  WAAAAAAAAAAAAANG CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUNG

Think I prefer the Huang version...

I agree with the sentiment on the Whalers jerseys. With such a tenuous situation with ownership/fanbase/attendance down in Carolina (and all the rumors that come with it), it just seems kind of tone deaf; not sure if any 'Canes fans feel any pride in the green/blue/white, nor do I blame them.

• Like 1

Interesting reason why we have so many afternoon games this year - quotes are Hugh Weber: 

"We happen to be one that we've been in front of the league the last five years saying 'hey, use us any way you can'.

"This is a pretty amazing opportunity for us and also for our players to get out and engage with these fans that will be watching a lot of the Devils family over the season."

So keen are the Devils to tap into the European market that they have scheduled a franchise-record 12 afternoon home games this season, all of which Weber said will be broadcast live at primetime in Europe. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-devils-hope-european-road-trip-paves-road-130342573--nhl.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Interesting reason why we have so many afternoon games this year - quotes are Hugh Weber: 

"We happen to be one that we've been in front of the league the last five years saying 'hey, use us any way you can'.

"This is a pretty amazing opportunity for us and also for our players to get out and engage with these fans that will be watching a lot of the Devils family over the season."

So keen are the Devils to tap into the European market that they have scheduled a franchise-record 12 afternoon home games this season, all of which Weber said will be broadcast live at primetime in Europe. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-devils-hope-european-road-trip-paves-road-130342573--nhl.html

Met a guy in the UK once that said he loved hockey and football. He was a Montreal fan but he was super excited just to see a hockey fan at all he thought I was awesome. He said the games were on really late and when the lockout hit he just never got back into it. 

1 minute ago, LittleBallofHate said:

More cuts:  @NJDevils  The #NJDevils have assigned defenseman Ty Smith to his junior team in Spokane (WHL). In addition, the club has assigned forwards Kevin Rooney and Brett Seney to Binghamton (AHL).

Smith made a hell of an impression in camp, he can be proud of himself and keep on improving. He'll definitely fight for a spot next year. Can't wait to follow his progression in junior and watch him at the WJC.

• Like 6

too bad about smith.

so if i have this right, the team is set:

hall-hischier-palmieri

johansson-zacha-bratt

wood-zajac-quenville

coleman-boyle-noeson

dea

*stafford PTO

greene-vatanen

butcher-serverson

meuller-lovejoy

santini/gryba

kinkaid

lack

--edit - did lappin ever actually go to bingo after he made it through waivers? or is he going on the trip as insurance in case of injury?

Edited by sundstrom
3 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

too bad about smith.

so if i have this right, the team is set:

hall-hischier-palmieri

johansson-zacha-bratt

wood-zajac-quenville

coleman-boyle-noeson

dea

*stafford PTO

greene-vatanen

butcher-serverson

meuller-lovejoy

santini/gryba

kinkaid

lack

--edit - did lappin ever actually go to bingo after he made it through waivers? or is he going on the trip as insurance in case of injury?

Lappin is at practice in Binghamton, smiling away... https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/9/28/17911570/binghamton-devils-upbeat-during-training-camp

• Like 1

re: Quenneville (guess i will now have to learn how to spell his name correctly), i know that i'm likely the only one that cares about such things but, since he's made the team, man do i hope he switches to 17. wouldn't mind getting that number back in the rotation for someone that might actually do something.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Met a guy in the UK once that said he loved hockey and football. He was a Montreal fan but he was super excited just to see a hockey fan at all he thought I was awesome. He said the games were on really late and when the lockout hit he just never got back into it. 

You also "know" a French Devs fan who struggle since 1998 to follow NHL and his Devils team and who is ecstatic about this schedule... He knows that he will be able to sleep better next season! I guess I should thanks the little Swiss guy who isn't too bad as a player... 

... Oh... Yeah, I was talking about me btw! : ) 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

As a UK fan I'm used to watching games that start at midnight but the afternoon games mean I can watch with my daughter who loves hockey which is great news.

• Like 3
On 9/27/2018 at 2:20 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

I really like that Whalers jersey, BUT... why would they pay homage to a team/city that isn't theirs?  You don't see the Calgary Flames wearing throwback Atlanta Flames jerseys.  Or the Coyotes wearing Winnipeg Jets for 3rds.  Just seems stupid to me, and kind of a slap at your own fanbase and current hometown.  I'm actually pretty shocked the NHL would want and/or allow this.  Does it happen in other sports?  I don't recall the Nationals wearing Expos sh!t. 

This. I never want to see the Devils wear Rockies or Scouts jerseys. Those teams weren't my team and the Devils only exist because those failed. Thanks for the team but we don't need to pay homage to that sh!t. It's bad enough we paid homage to them with the new jerseys. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This. I never want to see the Devils wear Rockies or Scouts jerseys. Those teams weren't my team and the Devils only exist because those failed. Thanks for the team but we don't need to pay homage to that sh!t. It's bad enough we paid homage to them with the new jerseys. 

The bolded I definitely didn't like...a miscalculation by the franchise for sure.  Seemed like they were trying to address a demand that didn't exist, but my theory on that will always remain the same:  some corporate out-of-touch dipsh!ts saw some fans wearing Scouts and Rockies gear during games (though for any given game, it's a fraction of a percent of those who actually do that...there's far more Devils fans who couldn't tell you the first thing about the Scouts and Rockies), waaaaaaay overestimated fan interest in those iterations, and thought wouldn't it be so clever to incorporate elements of those jerseys, at the expense of introducing an inferior design to the outgoing Edges.  It could've been much worse though...thank whoever that someone put the kebosh on the Bingo Devils crest being the NJ Devils crest.  That would've been a disaster of Buffaslug and Fishsticks proportions.  As long as the classic NJ crest remains untouched, I can tolerate a hell of lot.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded I definitely didn't like...a miscalculation by the franchise for sure.  Seemed like they were trying to address a demand that didn't exist, but my theory on that will always remain the same:  some corporate out-of-touch dipsh!ts saw some fans wearing Scouts and Rockies gear during games (though for any given game, it's a fraction of a percent of those who actually do that...there's far more Devils fans who couldn't tell you the first thing about the Scouts and Rockies), waaaaaaay overestimated fan interest in those iterations, and thought wouldn't it be so clever to incorporate elements of those jerseys, at the expense of introducing an inferior design to the outgoing Edges.  It could've been much worse though...thank whoever that someone put the kebosh on the Bingo Devils crest being the NJ Devils crest.  That would've been a disaster of Buffaslug and Fishsticks proportions.  As long as the classic NJ crest remains untouched, I can tolerate a hell of lot.

I’m not entirely sure that they actually did that. I think they redesigned the jerseys and then tried to make up a story to justify it. I don’t look at the New Jersey’s and think they are reminiscent of the Rockies or the Scouts, nor the Bulldogs.

If they never said it, I wouldn’t have thought it at all. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not entirely sure that they actually did that. I think they redesigned the jerseys and then tried to make up a story to justify it. I don’t look at the New Jersey’s and think they are reminiscent of the Rockies or the Scouts, nor the Bulldogs.

If they never said it, I wouldn’t have thought it at all. 

I did notice the equal-width sleeve stripes and thought "Rockies", but yeah, never would have tied the collar area to the Scouts.  The Bulldog hem was especially forced.

• Like 1
On 9/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, mfitz804 said:

Could the Dea move mean Stafford will be packing his bags? 

Doubt it imo. Stafford can be plugged in anywhere, on all 4 lines. (although likely) someone else would move up to play on 2nd like) . And he's a righty, where we lack depth. I think they keep 7 D 14 FW's in total?