2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Great, now us fans can have this hanging over our heads...not sure if the discussion warrants its own thread or not so I'll post here. 

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/one-year-from-potential-opt-out-nhl-players-mull-another-work-stoppage-1.1173027

I save money if it happens. Not the best outlook but this sh!t has happened way too much for me to care anymore when it does happen. 

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The brain can be a scary place. Good to see he got help and good for Lou for giving him a shot. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I save money if it happens. Not the best outlook but this sh!t has happened way too much for me to care anymore when it does happen. 

On the bright side, at least we'll get to see "THANK YOU YET AGAIN FANS!" emblazoned beneath the ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

And like the suckers we are, we will keep coming back.  They know it.

Guys like me, you, MD2020, and many others on here will.  But it's amazing how quickly you find yourself finding other things to do when something's taken away from you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guys like me, you, MD2020, and many others on here will.  But it's amazing how quickly you find yourself finding other things to do when something's taken away from you. 

I will admit I was pretty much out of the loop during the 2005 lockout.  I was also in the middle of college and that was a pretty busy time in my life as well so I was distracted.  While I watched Devils games in the 05-06, 06-07 and 07-08 seasons, it took me until the 08-09 to get back to the same level of enthusiasm as I did prior to the lockout.

• Like 1

For some reason, the last one in 2012 pissed me off even more...to the point where I didn't even want to hang out in my basement much, because even seeing all of my Devils stuff would just aggravate me.  I'm tired of looking up certain players' numbers and seeing 48 GP played in 1995, NO GAMES played in 2004-05, and 48 GP in 2013.  It's sad that some players in the thick of their primes lost a whole fvcking season to this crap.  Sad and incredibly frustrating.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It doesn't help that Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman have to be two of the least likable asshats on the planet...anytime Bettman starts condescending to us in that wormy little voice of his, I want to start punching things...especially his round lil' Count Chockula face.

For fvcking ONCE, figure sh!t out without killing the game, and stop holding everyone hostage.  a$$holes.

How did I never see this? :lol:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For some reason, the last one in 2012 pissed me off even more...to the point where I didn't even want to hang out in my basement much, because even seeing all of my Devils stuff would just aggravate me.  I'm tired of looking up certain players' numbers and seeing 48 GP played in 1995, NO GAMES played in 2004-05, and 48 GP in 2013.  It's sad that some players in the thick of their primes lost a whole fvcking season to this crap.  Sad and incredibly frustrating.

How many more games would Marty have won? How many more points would Patty have? Those lockouts irk me to this day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I remember being glues to twitter in 2012 to see what the latest was on the lockout.  It took a stupid mediator to actually get things done; and it was the second or third time the mediator was asked to step in to boot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

How did I never see this? :lol:

Actually I was thinking of the wrong Count...it's this guy (Count von Count):

See the source image

• Haha 4

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I remember being glues to twitter in 2012 to see what the latest was on the lockout.  It took a stupid mediator to actually get things done; and it was the second or third time the mediator was asked to step in to boot.

I really thought they were going to lose another full season.  I gotta admit it, if that had happened, I think I might have been done...at the very least, it would've taken me far longer to come back.  I was much angrier in 2012...I think mostly because I understood that maybe something drastic needed to happen that first time in 2004-05.  But all I could think was "You fvckers are here AGAIN?!  Millionaires vs billionaires?  I don't care who's wrong or right...just fvck all of you!"

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On the bright side, at least we'll get to see "THANK YOU YET AGAIN FANS!" emblazoned beneath the ice.

I think it should be "Sorry...We Suck" instead. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Actually I was thinking of the wrong Count...it's this guy (Count von Count):

See the source image

I was just preparing to call you out for referencing the wrong Count lol. 

Now you're dead on. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I really thought they were going to lose another full season.  I gotta admit it, if that had happened, I think I might have been done...at the very least, it would've taken me far longer to come back.  I was much angrier in 2012...I think mostly because I understood that maybe something drastic needed to happen that first time in 2004-05.  But all I could think was "You fvckers are here AGAIN?!  Millionaires vs billionaires?  I don't care who's wrong or right...just fvck all of you!"

That's how I feel about any sport when they threaten or actually lockout their season.  They're playing a game for a living and making millions off it.....its entertainment. Yes they love the game,but love the $ more.

The reality is they dont hurt the owners or the players when they lockout in the long term....its the refs, stadium workers, team workers, and everyone who makes a living working for the game who suffers and are out of a check for however long it takes to get back.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I remember reading somewhere, I can't remember where and I can't verify it, that EK was holding up the whole thing by refusing to sign an extension because he wanted to see if his family liked it where ever he was traded before he commit to a long term deal. Looking at it now, especially since he didn't sign an extension with the Sharks, it makes sense that it could have been true. It still probably would have been better for Ottawa to have gotten the deal done sooner than later. Either way, July 2019 may have just gotten a lot more exciting. 

Yea that's true,  he said in swedish newspaper that he was going to live in San Jose and see if he likes it before signing a new contract. He don't want to move to a city that he and his girlfriend don't like

Running around today (sorry if someone already posted this quote) - Ray lookin to make a move? : 

Corey Masisak of The Athletic: New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero when asked about any trade talks.

“There’s always a lot after free agency, but then it really died down, which tends to be the case. Now there is maybe a little bit, but it really is probably another two weeks because then teams have exhibition games and get to see some younger players or maybe some injuries pop up, some younger player jumps up and makes another player expendable. We have to get the preseason going here first for much of that to happen. If that’s the case, we’re in a position to try and improve our team if that comes around. You never know, it could be tomorrow. It takes a couple weeks, 10 days for teams to really get their exhibition games going and make some roster decisions, some cuts. So we’ll see what happens.”

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 2:56 PM, MadDog2020 said:

It does great courage to admit one has a problem and will get help for it.  Nobody needs to do this alone.

• Like 2