NJDevs '18-19 Fantasy Hockey Season Thread

NJDevs4978

If I finish in 2nd place in my second season part of this league, I’ll be happy. Most improved positioning year over year. Still terribly frustrated that 1st place wasn’t secured because of Hall being out and me freakishly leaving 4 shutouts on the bench throughout the year.

Looks good for next season though w Pastrnak, Barzal and Nico being kept. (I don’t have a 3rd round pick however.)

• Like 2

Currently battling it out for 2nd/3rd or maybe 4th it seems.  

I tell ya, if I had lucked into a couple more shutouts I could've gotten a lot closer to the #1 spot.  And somehow I'm like.. way, way way below average in PPP.  Not sure how that happened - might've focused too much on hits/FOWs/Blocks in the later rounds.  Lesson learned for next year.

But I feel pretty good right now going forward with Barkov (what a breakout year, wow), Marchand, and either Guentzel/Price/Hellebuyck as my keepers.  Have some pre-draft dealing to do if anyone wants one or both of these goalies. 

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I tell ya, if I had lucked into a couple more shutouts I could've gotten a lot closer to the #1 spot.  And somehow I'm like.. way, way way below average in PPP.  Not sure how that happened - might've focused too much on hits/FOWs/Blocks in the later rounds.  Lesson learned for next year.

But I feel pretty good right now going forward with Barkov (what a breakout year, wow), Marchand, and either Guentzel/Price/Hellebuyck as my keepers.  Have some pre-draft dealing to do if anyone wants one or both of these goalies. 

Quite the late season charge you’ve put forth. Losing 2nd place, for me, would be crushing. One more week to recapture it!  

Great keeper set you have going, too. Already looking forward to next season’s fun.

Edited by devlman

23 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The fact that you got a 100 point keeper for what will amount to the difference of 6 to 15 picks is just a joke

On 4/3/2019 at 9:17 AM, redruM said:

The fact that you got a 100 point keeper for what will amount to the difference of 6 to 15 picks is just a joke

Image result for shrug gif

People knew Marchand was on the market - especially since the first deal got nixed.  I don't think anyone drove the price up - it wasn't like we were secretly negotiating.

I mean yea... we all knew Marchand was on the market;  and if that was the best offer... that was the best offer.
I think keeper prices will come down as we lock into our keepers and don't have spare slots.

Like I wasn't going to trade for Marchand who is now on the wrong side of 30...   I was interested in swapping Aho for Laine+; but Laine was ultimately kept.

17 hours ago, aylbert said:

Like I wasn't going to trade for Marchand who is now on the wrong side of 30...   I was interested in swapping Aho for Laine+; but Laine was ultimately kept.

Very true, I mean I don't think it's unreasonable to think this season may be Marchand's peak season.

But alas, I'll worry about that when the time comes.  Hoping for top-15, 20 production from him next season at least.

56 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Very true, I mean I don't think it's unreasonable to think this season may be Marchand's peak season.

But alas, I'll worry about that when the time comes.  Hoping for top-15, 20 production from him next season at least.

Right; and that was my point.   Marchand is a solid keeper who will produce well....  but I wasn't in the market for him, because I wouldn't keep him over Aho (22), Eichel (22) or Draisaitl (23) for Marchand (31)   (ages at the start of next season).
I imagine other teams are in that camp as well...  where they have young talent that they value over high scoring veterans...   

I swapped my star goalie in Bobrovsky for Draisaitl and lost this year on goaltending.
Aho was drafted his rookie season and kept since by me.
And I paid an arm and a leg to pry Eichel away  (1st rounder, Ovi, Toews)

You certainly got the better deal with Marchand in the short term...   but I'm hoping Eichel continues to develop and is a top 10 talent by like 2022.  

• Like 1

You can do add-drops till moves no longer apply for today (I suspect when the first game starts), then rosters will be locked.  Try not to waste your time - or mine - adding keeper ineligibles though, Letang was drafted in the first five rounds for example so no keeper for him.

Actually it seems like as long as you pick up a player before their own game starts they're eligible for today so I'll leave the full roster lock and non-keeper drops for later tonight.

Edited by NJDevs4978

30 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Believe it or not, I grabbed Letang in the desperate attempt he'll get me a PPP or two today.

Now watch the Penguins rest him..

Terrified of you chasing my second spot! Will be a battle to the end today!

Welp congrats again to Zamboni Warriors on winning back-to-back and for the third time in five years.  He's joined me (five times) and ayl (three times) as multiple winners of the NJDevs league but is the clear king of the mountaintop now with three in the last five seasons.  Of course NJDefenders proved a couple years ago anyone can still win the league with the right draft and moves and there's been a lot of changeover within the top three from year to year, so even with a clear top dog at the moment, there's still hope for everyone in a league like this. 

Congrats also to Hard Dump and Zajac-ing Off for solid seasons and finishing on the medal podium and I'm glad most everyone played out the string in terms of standings, especially with draft position choosing order being on the line - and a lot of the positional jockeying was close in the end.  I'd hoped I could somehow sneak into the top five but ran out of time I suppose.  I'll drop non-keepers when Yahoo turns the calendar - in the past it let me drop players for the next day even when this day's games haven't been played but now anyone I drop would affect today's stats so it's gotta wait till tomorrow.

Spoiler

I don't want to overshadow the champs with my last post but I gotta put this somewhere so I'll hide it in a spoiler tag.  As some of you know or suspect, this was my last season doing the league, so after the keeper drops tomorrow I'm turning over commish duties to aylbert, who's also been a long-time member here.  After sixteen (!) years of playing and fourteen of them running the league, I've had my fill and then some.  I'd say 85-90% of the time I was successful as a manager my last two mediocre seasons aside, and maybe 98-99% of the time as a commissioner.  I'm glad this has become a solid league with people mostly invested year to year since we added the keepers, the ability to trade draft picks and everyone getting to pick draft position in the order they finish.

As far as my roster, it's in good enough shape that ayl shouldn't have much trouble finding a replacement for me since the reason I'm leaving as commish is purely I just don't want to do the day-to-day of playing a daily roto league anymore and obviously can't commish without playing lol (well perhaps I could but wouldn't really want to).  As meh as my season was in the standings, the fact I have two first round picks - likely both in the top ten - and some solid keeper candidates should attract interest in taking over the roster, and perhaps being able to do better than I have the last couple of seasons when I went through the motions a bit...although since I had a pretty good idea I was leaving from about halfway through the season, I wanted to leave the roster in as good a shape for the next guy as possible and made moves accordingly once I figured I was going to be left in the dust again by the top teams, while still trying to finish high enough to get a decent pick.

I'd say that's pretty much a rap...good luck to everyone going forward!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp congrats again to Zamboni Warriors on winning back-to-back and for the third time in five years.  He's joined me (five times) and ayl (three times) as multiple winners of the NJDevs league but is the clear king of the mountaintop now with three in the last five seasons.  Of course NJDefenders proved a couple years ago anyone can still win the league with the right draft and moves and there's been a lot of changeover within the top three from year to year, so even with a clear top dog at the moment, there's still hope for everyone in a league like this. 

Congrats also to Hard Dump and Zajac-ing Off for solid seasons and finishing on the medal podium and I'm glad most everyone played out the string in terms of standings, especially with draft position choosing order being on the line - and a lot of the positional jockeying was close in the end.  I'd hoped I could somehow sneak into the top five but ran out of time I suppose.  I'll drop non-keepers when Yahoo turns the calendar - in the past it let me drop players for the next day even when this day's games haven't been played but now anyone I drop would affect today's stats so it's gotta wait till tomorrow.

Hide contents

I don't want to overshadow the champs with my last post but I gotta put this somewhere so I'll hide it in a spoiler tag.  As some of you know or suspect, this was my last season doing the league, so after the keeper drops tomorrow I'm turning over commish duties to aylbert, who's also been a long-time member here.  After sixteen (!) years of playing and fourteen of them running the league, I've had my fill and then some.  I'd say 85-90% of the time I was successful as a manager my last two mediocre seasons aside, and maybe 98-99% of the time as a commissioner.  I'm glad this has become a solid league with people mostly invested year to year since we added the keepers, the ability to trade draft picks and everyone getting to pick draft position in the order they finish.

As far as my roster, it's in good enough shape that ayl shouldn't have much trouble finding a replacement for me since the reason I'm leaving as commish is purely I just don't want to do the day-to-day of playing a daily roto league anymore and obviously can't commish without playing lol (well perhaps I could but wouldn't really want to).  As meh as my season was in the standings, the fact I have two first round picks - likely both in the top ten - and some solid keeper candidates should attract interest in taking over the roster, and perhaps being able to do better than I have the last couple of seasons when I went through the motions a bit...although since I had a pretty good idea I was leaving from about halfway through the season, I wanted to leave the roster in as good a shape for the next guy as possible and made moves accordingly once I figured I was going to be left in the dust again by the top teams, while still trying to finish high enough to get a decent pick.

I'd say that's pretty much a rap...good luck to everyone going forward!

Thanks so much for your efforts in running a GREAT league and setting up the next commish/manager into a good spot.

Congrats to Zamboni Warriors - the gold standard to chase next season. Back to back titles is impressive. Already looking forward to next year’s draft.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

:rant: :rant: :rant: Yahoo isn't letting me drop players after the 'game is over'...I've never had this kind of issue with it before.  Usually it let me drop players on Saturday effective the next day but didn't let me do that yesterday (I tried Dumba as a quasi-test since dropping him wouldn't affect any kind of scoring and his dropping did show up on the Saturday roster) and now I apparently can't drop at all so I'll just post the ineligibles here per team - I'm the only one that previously dumped all of mine - and they'll have to be dropped next preseason I suppose...at least listing them by team will make it easier to do:

(Have I said how much Yahoo REALLY sucks for a keeper/dynasty format?)

Dynamo Nation - D Charlie McAvoy

Eaglejelly - RW Nikita Kucherov, C Mark Scheifele, RW Jakub Voracek, C/RW William Nylander

Hard Dump - C Connor McDavid, LW Taylor Hall, G Pekka Rinne, LW Max Pacioretty, G Ben Bishop

NeoThrashers - C Sidney Crosby, G Andrei Vasilevskiy, C Patrice Bergeron, RW Alexander Radulov, C Ryan Johansen 

Nicoise Salad - D Victor Hedman, LW Johnny Gaudreau, RW Vladimir Tarasenko, C Evgeny Kuznetsov, LW Jonathan Huberdeau, LW Matthew Tkachuk, C Sean Couturier, D Zach Werenski

NJDefenders - C Anze Kopitar, D P.K.Subban, C Sean Monahan, G Frederik Andersen

One More Tank - C/LW Jamie Benn, D Brent Burns, D Roman Josi, G Braden Holtby, C Ryan Getzlaf, D Torey Krug

Palm on and SLAM - C John Tavares, RW Phil Kessel, D Drew Doughty, LW/RW Viktor Arvidsson, LW James van Riemsdyk

Squirtle Squad - C Evgeni Malkin, RW Patrick Kane, C/RW Steven Stamkos, LW Fillip Forsberg, C Nicklas Backstrom, C/LW Logan Couture

Sworn Defenders - D Erik Karlsson, RW Wayne Simmonds, D Alex Pietrangelo

Wolverines - C Tyler Seguin, C/LW/RW Clayton Keller, D John Carlson, G Jonathan Quick, LW/RW Teuvo Teravainen

Zajac-ing Off - LW Alex Ovechkin, D Dustin Byfuglien, D Kris Letang, LW Gabriel Landeskog, C Jonathan Toews, C/LW Brayden Schenn, C/LW/RW Yanni Gourde, C Eric Staal

Zamboni Warriors - C/LW/RW Claude Giroux, C/RW Blake Wheeler, C/LW Pierre-Luc Dubois

To reiterate, these players were all drafted in the first five rounds and ineligible to be kept.  Doesn't matter if they were traded or dropped, they're still ineligible cause they were picked in the first five rounds.  They will seemingly show up on the listed rosters next preseason because Yahoo sucks but will likely have to be dropped at that time before the LM can re-open for trading.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Thanks 4

Well I made it a little interesting for a bit yesterday - I crawled into second in the early afternoon before the night games started.  

But overall, a fun year.  Lots of trades, lots of action, lots of movement, and not many dead teams.  One of the best in recent memory.  Great job everyone, already looking forward to next year.

Here's to you Hasan - thanks for running this thing and inviting me to join a few years ago.  If we ever do an NJDevs meetup or something the beer (or your drink of choice :lol:)  is on me.  You'll be missed, wish we could convince you to stay as a player!

rhyming leonardo dicaprio GIF

Ayl, if I can assist at all with the administrative stuff please don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 11:08 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Congrats to Zamboni, I thought I posted that already but maybe not. Hopefully I am more competitive next year, I keep getting suckered in by hidden gems and not main line players.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:45 AM, DevilMinder said:

Congrats to Zamboni, I thought I posted that already but maybe not. Hopefully I am more competitive next year, I keep getting suckered in by hidden gems and not main line players.

It's a tough mix between main line and hidden gems but I look forward to next season!

I'll have a more formal post later this summer, but Hasan has officially resigned and I have taken over the league.   
I plan on no major changes for this upcoming season to ensure a smooth and orderly transition.

Perhaps the only significant change will be trade approvals.   The approval process went from rubber stamp to confusing pretty quickly as our keeper slots have matured...  but all of this will be open and transparent.

• 3 weeks later...
I imagine we'll have a spot or two open - any idea [mention=186]aylbert[/mention]?  Probably still a little early to do a headcount.
Sweet! I'd love to be part of it if theres a place for me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk