NJDevs Fantasy Football 2018 Smack Talk

aylbert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My team is a ****ing joke, can't even beat VALUE when he has all of his good players on bye or when he has a bad scoring week in Week 1.  Fitting my season should end with Cory Davis pulling a Monday Night junktime miracle out of his rear end.  Well technically I still have a shot at the playoffs if I beat Clown and one other team loses but really now.  Even making the playoffs I'd just be in them to get punted by ayl's souped up team.  Basically everyone this side of Zach Ertz was a dissapointment this year, and Ben but I died on the Wentz hill this week.

This league's about as dead as my team...I don't even know why I still care at all.  There was one draft trade and one in-season trade all year.  Sure I wasn't involved in either and I'm more meh on fantasy at this point in general (kind of hitting a wall with the hockey league too) but it's hard to do the draft trades when half the people pick offline.  Even the in-season threads used to fill up several pages, we're on page two here.  The draft drama has gotten to be more angst than it's worth at this point too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

My team is a ****ing joke, can't even beat VALUE when he has all of his good players on bye or when he has a bad scoring week in Week 1.  Fitting my season should end with Cory Davis pulling a Monday Night junktime miracle out of his rear end.  Well technically I still have a shot at the playoffs if I beat Clown and one other team loses but really now.  Even making the playoffs I'd just be in them to get punted by ayl's souped up team.  Basically everyone this side of Zach Ertz was a dissapointment this year, and Ben but I died on the Wentz hill this week.

This league's about as dead as my team...I don't even know why I still care at all.  There was one draft trade and one in-season trade all year.  Sure I wasn't involved in either and I'm more meh on fantasy at this point in general (kind of hitting a wall with the hockey league too) but it's hard to do the draft trades when half the people pick offline.  Even the in-season threads used to fill up several pages, we're on page two here.  The draft drama has gotten to be more angst than it's worth at this point too.

Image result for lighten up francis

Forum usage appears way down; so it would make sense fantasy follows suit. 

WELCOME TO THE PLAY-OFFS!  

The quarter finals feature:

#1 TY/FY/BY! and #2 Kick Shins and Run have byes and advance to the semi-finals.

#3 Sworn Defenders (9-4, 1627.72) vs #6 Power of Positivity (5-8, 1576.26)
In their week 7 match-up, both teams performed significantly over their projections, but Sworn Defenders won 147.12-126.82  (projected was 113.34-100.68)...  Leading performances for SD came from the Broncos D (33pts), Emmanuel Sanders (26pts) and Kerryon Johnson (20.9pts), while PP was lead by Mitchel Trubisky (33.42pts), the Rams D (28pts) and Trey Burton (23.1pts).

This time around SD are currently projected to put up 125.01 to PP's 102.22 )

Russell Wilson is a premier talent and has had a solid fantasy year.  Dak Prescott has seen an improvement with Amari Cooper arriving but is still battling inconsistencies.   Match-up wise though, Dak is facing a very injured Eagles secondary which on the season has been the 12th friendliest to fantasy QBs while Wilson is facing a tough Minnesota Vikings defense that has allowed the 5th fewest fantasy points.

Advantage: Push.       As Yahoo projections confirm...   the better player has the worse matchup and it kinda equals out.

Both teams sport very skilled and competent receivers, but PP has the  marquee advantage.    There is also the unknown of how the Packers offense will be run without Mike McCarthy's predictable play calling.  SD losing Sanders to an Achilles tear obviously hurts his depth chart.

Advantage: Moderate PP

Clearly PP has his work set out to him with Connor's injury holding him out - we'll see if Ridley can vulture a random TD. On the flip-side, SD will be fielding Zeke and Aaron Jones.    Kerryon Johnson remains sidelined for SD.

Advantage: Strong SD

Kelce has been lights out this season as the best top end in fantasy football; Rudolph is part of the run of the mill tight end pool.   Yards and TDs have been scarce for Rudolph, and both trends should continue. 

Advantage: Strong SD

Kickers kick.  Sometimes they miss.   It's really a crapshoot... but the Eagles like to elect forego fgs on 4th down.
Crosby has 3 fgs 20-29, 9  30-39, 6 40-49 and 4 50+ with 27pats and 2 misses for 105 pts. 
Elliott has 6 gs 20-29, 7 30-39, 5 40-49 and 1  50+ with 23 pats and 0 misses for 87pts. 

Advantage: Slight PP 

The Rams hit the big plays more often... forcing fumbles and interceptions and are clearly the better defense.    The Rams have put some serious fantasy points some weeks, while the Eagles have been mundane at best.

The Rams have 292 pts against, 33 sacks, 2 safeties, 11 interceptions, 11 fumble, 4tds and 2 blocked kicks for 105 points on the season... and are facing the the Bears who give up the 16th most fantasy points. 
The Eagles have 260 pts against, 31 sacks, 0 safeties, 6 interceptions, 3 fumbles, 0tds, 0 block kicks for 74 points on the season   Vs Dallas who give up the 14th most fantasy points.

Advantage: Moderate PP
Summary/Prediction: PP has the better QB, better WR, better kicker, better defense...  yet is is still a significant underdog because they have no one to run the ball with Connor out.   With Connor healthy and in;  this is obviously a lot closer.  But given the QBs and WRs are pretty close...  there is nothing there to really offset the advantages SD has in the backfield, so, barring a disastrous outing by their running backs, the Sworn Defenders should march on to the semi-finals.

#4 Big Blue (7-6 1520.00) vs #5 New Jersey Swamps (6-7 1399.90)

In their week 10 match-up, both teams came in under projections as NJS beat BB 114.4-105.22, with NJS relying on the Ertz (33.5pts) / Wentz (24.1 pts) connection for over 50% of their production.    BB had a good showing from OBJ (21.3pts) and the Packers D delivered 15pts.    At the end of their contest, both teams left week 10 as 5-5.  NJS took only one more win the rest of the way, but that's all he needed to get in... BB had two wins.

In the current match-up, NJS is projected to win 126.12 vs 115.12

Big Ben isn't so big this year, and he's chucking the ball well... he's facing Oakland who has been the 6th friendliest fantasy team for QBs.     Newton hit 300 yards last game for only the third time this season; but twice in the last three weeks.   The downside; he had 4 interceptions against the Bucs off those 300 yards.  He is facing the Browns this week; but is also battling a shoulder injury.    If he can't shake the questionable tag; BB will need to reach into free agency pool for Case Keenum, Derek Carr, Eli Manning...  Ryan Tannehill?   And the names get worse from there.     NJS meanwhile has Wentz and Trubisky (but rostered IRd currently) on the bench.

Advantage: Moderate NJS

NJS is missing Kupp here, as he's fielding Golladay and Gordon as his top wide receivers...   decent, but not top tier fantasy talents this year.  Meanwhile, OBJ is facing a collapsing Redskins and has been receiving targets and even tossing a TD himself last week.   Both Evans and Diggs are also in line for some pretty good performances this week against the Seahawks and Saints respectively.

Advantage: Moderate BB

Ok; so if you're looking for an RB and wondering why Alfred Blue is your best option off free agency, it's NJS's RB hoarding fault.  Phillip Lindsay had a monster game that he likely won't repeat, but is still in line for another good week.  Dalvin Cook is also finding his legs in the 4 weeks he's been back; maybe he makes a breakout statement against the Seahawks on MNF.      Meanwhile, Mixon is carrying a questionable tag and it limited, but practicing, for BB...  and he's really counting on him to a- play and b- get something done against the Chargers.    Theo Riddick isn't terribly exciting and hasn't scored all season.

Advantage: Strong NJS

Hooper has a decent outing last week pulling in 5 receptions, 44 yards and TD...   but will face a Packers Defense that has largely kept TE's in check.    Meanwhile,  Ertz thinks that's a decent a first half.    Ertz is on-pace to break Jason Witten's reception record as he's a target machine for Wentz and they are facing Dallas.  BB should remember this matchip, because it's from week 10 when Wentz/Ertz I spoke about at the top...   He took in 14 receptions from 16 targets, 145 yards and 2 touchdowns in a 27-20 loss to the Cowboys.   

Advantage: Strong NJS

So you have Prater, who is playing for a struggling Lions team that likely will get stopped a lot.   And then you have the KC offense battling a Ravens defense that has been holding teams in check in the red zone.   I like the KC offense better than the lack of Detroit offense here...   

Prater:  8fg 20-29yds, 11fg 30-39yds, 1fg 40-49yds, 3fg 50+, 23PATs 0 misses
Butker: 7fg 20-29yds, 5fg 30-39yds, 6gf 40-49yds, 1fg 50+, 51PATs, 4 misses
Advantage: Slight NJS

The Packers have the Falcons, which sounds scary traditionally when you think of their offense... but they never found their stride this year and are middle the pack for fantasy defense matchups.   The Ravens are facing the high powered KC offense - so yea, let's just keep them on the bench.        Meanwhile, the Broncos have the 49ers, who have gifted defenses the 3rd most points this season...

Packers- 279 pts against, 38 sacks, 0 safeties, 6 interceptions, 6 fumble recoveries and a Blocked Kick
Ravens- 208 pts against, 35 sacks, 0 safeties, 5 interceptions, 4 fumble recoveries, 2 touchdowns, 0 blocked kicks/1 returned for a TD 

Broncos- 262 pts against, 37 sacks, 0 safeties, 13 interceptions, 8 fumble recoveries, 2 td, 4 blocked kicks

Advantage: Moderate NJS 
Summary/Prediction: NJS was down on his chances to make it...  but looks to be in a good position to win this week.  I think ultimately NJS's strong running back group will outpeform BB's wide receivers...   add in Ertz at TE... and I think you see a repeat of their last match-up... close, and close to projections; but NJS with the W yet again.

Edited by aylbert

lol at my hideous team not only making the playoffs at 6-7 but getting the fifth seed cause a 5-8 team actually made it :P  And clearly red was this season's version of what the 49ers were last season.

Honestly though if I had Cooper Kupp I'd take my chances against anyone (bad record and all) with Cook finally a viable RB starter again.  As it is I still have a non-zero chance of actually making the second weekend.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Ugh, I was really hoping Kerryon Johnson would be back this week.
Losing Sanders, and effectively losing Dion Lewis this week since he already played...  I'm starting to tax my bench.  I likely would have went with Lewis...

Now, I'll just look to negate a TD hopefully as I field Lockett with Wilson on the other side tossing it.

lol I thought I was done in the middle of the fourth quarter after that long Diggs catch.  My jaw hit the floor when I looked at the final score just now, of course this game's so close it could be a double troll and a scoring change could still screw me over.  If not though...

Playing on Rex - three collusus teams in the final four and the fvcking Swamps (for now).

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol I thought I was done in the middle of the fourth quarter after that long Diggs catch.  My jaw hit the floor when I looked at the final score just now, of course this game's so close it could be a double troll and a scoring change could still screw me over.  If not though...

Playing on Rex - three collusus teams in the final four and the fvcking Swamps (for now).

I had your game as close but you ahead, but it looked bleak after Sunday, but the fvcking Swamps did it again.

Ultimately, I think both our stories end this week and we battle it out for third.    We will see.

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Nah I think it’s you and CRASHER, your team is hot and VALUE lost Kareem Hunt. At least the pressure was taken off me now that he’s only 12-1 instead of 13-0 :P

My team is predicated on the Cowboys continued success; which has me quite weary.
Unfortunately, Stafford has been garbage since the trade deadline; forcing me to use Dak.
Cooper obviously became a Cowboy through a trade...
and I gotta run with Zeke.

I'll see how Kerryon Johnson is doing (and might be my keeper... that or Aaron Jones)...   but I'm bummed Emmanuel Sanders is IR'd (bumping up Cooper to my WR2) and leaving my flex open for the hot hand.

I am sooooo happy Crasher isn't getting a perfect season; even if he grabs the title in the end.

All things considered,  I think I survived  the onslaught of Damien Williams with Mahomes and Badgley (LA kicker) underperforming.   Kick Shins is only up 2.21 on projections.
Of course I'm down 5.14pts on projections with Kelce...  but any good performance by Kelce was going to be offset by Mahomes on the other side of it.

Well at least my ‘defense’ is better than my prognostication skills lol, two straight playoff wins scoring under 100 points. I’m not counting on that for a third straight week but now I just need my team to step up for one lousy week...

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well at least my ‘defense’ is better than my prognostication skills lol, two straight playoff wins scoring under 100 points. I’m not counting on that for a third straight week but now I just need my team to step up for one lousy week...

I knew I was playing with fire with three Cowboys...  but that's how the cookie crumbles.
Losing Aaron Jones in the first quarter on top of that was just a cruel act by the fantasy gods.

Might as well do the list one more time and not throw it on anyone else last minute, presuming the league itself actually continues next year with the lack of enthusiasm for this season.  Assuming me and VALUE don't make any more last-second moves (nice adjustment by CRASHER locking add/drops per team once they're eliminated) this is up to date.  As usual, previous years' keepers are crossed out, everyone else has the round value in which they were drafted. 

American Outlaws

QB - Ryan (9)

RB - Bell (1), D. Henry (3), Ingram (4), C. Thompson (5), Mack (7), J. White (10), D. Foreman (15)

WR - A. Brown, M. Thomas (2), Fitzgerald (4), A. Jeffery (7), D.J. Moore (11)

TE - Empty

K - M. Bryant (13)

DEF - Texans (14)

Big Blue

QB - Newton (5), A. Smith (11)

RB - Mixon (2), Lynch (4), Powell (8) Riddick (13), Gore (15-FA)

WR - Diggs, Beckham (1), M. Evans (3), Watkins (10), Godwin (15-FA)

TE - J. Reed (6), Hooper (14)

K - Prater (14)

DEF - Ravens (13), Packers (15-FA)

Dynamo Nation

QB - Watson, Winston (15-FA)

RB - D. Freeman (1), Ajayi (4), Cohen (7), Crowell (8), Blount (15), J. Samuels (15-FA), D. Martin (15-FA)

WR - K. Allen (2), Smith-Schuster (3), Cooks (5), C. Ridley (11), D. Jackson (15-FA)

TE - Herndon (15-FA)

K - Lutz (12)

DEF - Bears (13)

LOTCB

QB - Brees (5), Mayfield (15-FA)

RB - McCaffery, Fournette (1), C. Carson (4), A. Peterson (8), Yeldon (10)

WR - A. Green (2), Goodwin (5), M. Jones (6), Crabtree (7), Westbrook (15-FA)

TE - Olsen (5)

K - Gano (15-FA)

DEF - Redskins (15-FA)

MantaRavens

QB - Rodgers (2)

RB - Da. Johnson, Ekeler (15), J. Adams (15-FA), G. Edwards (15-FA)

WR - A. Callaway (15-FA), Z. Jones (15-FA), C. Conley (15-FA), J. Brown (15-FA), Valdes-Scantling (15-FA)

TE - Gronkowski (3), McDonald (15-FA)

K - Tucker (11)

DEF - Jaguars (9), Bills (15-FA)

Masked Marauders

QB - Brady (2), Goff (9)

RB - L. Miller (3), Burkhead (5), G. Bernard (8), J. Richard (15-FA), N. Hines (15-FA), J. Jackson (15-FA)

WR - J. Jones, D. Thomas (4), S. Shepard (10), P. Garcon (10), D. Bryant (15-FA)

TE - Kittle (12)

K - Fairbairn (15-FA)

DEF - Patriots (14)

Power of Positivity

QB - R. Wilson (4), L. Jackson (15-FA)

RB - McKinnon, J. Conner (8), C. Clement (10), I. Smith (15-FA), S. Ridley (15-FA)

WR - D. Adams (2), T. Hill (3), A. Humphries (15-FA), Boyd (15-FA), C. Patterson (15-FA), T. Gabriel (15-FA)

TE - Rudolph (6)

K - Crosby (15)

DEF - Rams (11)

Revis and Buttheads

QB - Cousins (9), Mariota (12)

RB - M. Gordon (1), Drake (3), Michel (6), Hyde (6)

WR - Thielen (2), G. Tate (4), R. Woods (7), Edelman (8), Enunwa (15-FA)

TE - Burton (5), J. Graham (5)

K - Zuerlein (11)

DEF - Seahawks (15-FA)

-as of Monday night-

Sworn Defenders

QB - Stafford (9), Prescott (15-FA)

RB - E. Elliott, D. Lewis (5), K. Johnson (7), Du. Johnson (8), A. Jones (9)

WR - Hopkins (1), Cooper (4), E. Sanders (6), Lockett (10), R. Cobb (13), C. Samuel (15-FA)

TE - Kelce (3), Brate (15-FA)

K - J. Elliott (13)

DEF - Lions (15-FA)

TY/FY/BY!

QB - Luck (6), Rivers (9)

RB - Kamara, Barkley (1), Breida (8), McGuire (15-FA)

WR - Hilton (3), Landry (4), W. Fuller (7), Da. Moore (15-FA), Sutton (15-FA), R. Foster (15-FA)

TE - Cook (15-FA), Ebron (15-FA)

K - Gostkowski (12)

DEF - Chargers (13)

Kick Shins and Run

QB - Mahomes (7)

RB - Gurley (1), Chubb (8), S. Ware (10), C.J. Anderson (11), Da. Williams (15-FA) J. Kelly (15-FA), Ju. Davis (15-FA)

WR - Baldwin (2), A. Robinson (5), C. Davis (7), Stills (12)

TE - Njoku (9)

K - Badgley (15-FA)

DEF - Vikings (13)

New Jersey Swamps

QB - Wentz (5), Roethlisberger (10), Trubisky (15-FA)

RB - Cook (1), J. Howard (2), Ja. Williams (6), T. Coleman (7), Barber (7), P. Lindsay (15-FA)

WR - R. Anderson (11), Kupp (11), Golladay (15-FA), Pettis (15-FA), Mi. Williams (15-FA)

TE - Ertz

K - Butker (14)

DEF - Titans (15-FA)

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 12/4/2018 at 5:08 PM, aylbert said:

Summary/Prediction: NJS was down on his chances to make it...  but looks to be in a good position to win this week.  I think ultimately NJS's strong running back group will outpeform BB's wide receivers...   add in Ertz at TE... and I think you see a repeat of their last match-up... close, and close to projections; but NJS with the W yet again.

I just read this now tbh...nice job and good call on the first-round prediction.  Truth be told I was more negative over actually doing anything IN the playoffs than I was making it since given the Week 13 matchups with the other borderline teams I knew I had better than a 50-50 chance of making it even from 5-7, assuming I beat a dead Clown team.  What I didn't see was the entire league falling into a black hole and getting me the #5 seed as a 6-7 team with no chance of a tiebreaker edge. 

If I'd gotten the #6 seed like I assumed, the end would have been exactly as I predicted - losing to you by 9000 points in the first round.  Instead I scraped by the railing on a junktime Dalvin Cook TD against Big Blue then got the benefit of CRASHER's worst week of the season by far, now I'm one win away from the all-time troll job here which is saying something considering I also won the title from 4-7 a few years back.  But that team was actually highest scoring in the league - that regular season record was just stupid, this year's was legit lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well how about that, New Jersey Swamps - 2013, 2014, and 2018 NJDevs Bowl champions!  Beating two straight 12-1 teams deserves a Vince McMahon pimp walk.

biDFHU0.gif?noredirect

Knew I would need my team to finally go off to beat VALUE and his golden arm this week and they did.  At least being the best team in the league for one week was somehow enough to steal a title here this year.  Honestly for most of the season my team was a dissapointment.  I don't know what it says that 1/3 of my starting lineup in the final (Anderson, Williams, Titans) were FA pickups this week and all did well.  It's funny the parallel to 2013 where I started 4-7 and ripped off five in a row to win in a season where my starting QB (Romo) was dissapointing and hurt, and in rode Big Ben with a little assist from McCown.  Now this year I start 5-7, my starting QB (Wentz) is again dissapointing and hurt and again rides in Big Ben, Jim Plunkett-style to the rescue.  So clearly I have to get Ben on whatever team I have in whatever league next year :P 

Although there's been plenty of off-field angst with this league over the years there's been a lot of fun too.  Especially with draft maneuvers like ayl keeping Peyton and trading for Rodgers, then drafting Stafford in the year of the QB lol.  Or the year Masked didn't draft a receiver till like the 12th round.  Plus the Manta-blocks, especially when people actually did them.  And one of the things that's always made this league compelling is the parity, usually there's been different winners every year.

That said, I'm going to do what I should have done with hockey a couple years ago and go out on top.  Not because I somehow won this year, I've just had my fill of August drama and draft organization with the board threads, not to mention the sheer length of the drafts - plus the recent lack of draft negotiations/trading in part because people made so many picks off the board took away some of the point of doing a long draft tbh.  I'd just rather not play half-heartedly if I'm not up to a two-and-a-half week draft in the summer with contacting next up for picks and helping to do the draft stuff on the board (updating picks and clock time) besides. 

CRASHER does fine updating the picks on Yahoo with some of the stuff here along with the regular league management and of course ayl does a yeoman job organizing the draft threads here, it was nice to have the reference closer to home and not have to check Yahoo for the picks, then come back here.  Hope the league stays active, new blood might help.  Whoever takes over my team next year should have some good keeper choices at least.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 12/22/2018 at 9:00 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

I just read this now tbh...nice job and good call on the first-round prediction.  Truth be told I was more negative over actually doing anything IN the playoffs than I was making it since given the Week 13 matchups with the other borderline teams I knew I had better than a 50-50 chance of making it even from 5-7, assuming I beat a dead Clown team.  What I didn't see was the entire league falling into a black hole and getting me the #5 seed as a 6-7 team with no chance of a tiebreaker edge. 

If I'd gotten the #6 seed like I assumed, the end would have been exactly as I predicted - losing to you by 9000 points in the first round.  Instead I scraped by the railing on a junktime Dalvin Cook TD against Big Blue then got the benefit of CRASHER's worst week of the season by far, now I'm one win away from the all-time troll job here which is saying something considering I also won the title from 4-7 a few years back.  But that team was actually highest scoring in the league - that regular season record was just stupid, this year's was legit lol

Congrats with the win.

I’d give it some time before deciding to step away.   Clearly we are transitioning, but I’m confident we will find a happy medium.   But in general, very few are pounding keyboards and staring at monitors these days.   It’s largely mobile traffic which suffers from multi tasking and random drop ins...   the recently active member list is useless these days.

Im really disappointed with my two week fizzle after getting red hot right before that.    I actually did draft Russel Wilson this year for three minutes; but changed it to Amari Cooper.  Coincidentally he had a horrible week 14 as well...