New MSG Devils host

mikemarc1

I have almost 22,000 followers on Twitter (over 3 times more than Abbey, but a little less than Amanda), I know what it's like to deal with trolls and randoms sending malicious or annoying tweets for no reason; it's really easy to ignore it (and mute them), I don't understand them making this big dramatic spectacle about it. It's social media 101 that the bigger deal you make in showcasing your trolls, the more trolling you get.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Email the record, tweet at them as well that you want better coverage of the team. If enough people actually contact them about and do it respectfully they might actually acknowledge it. 

Personally I don't care about any of the Twitter coverage and I don't follow either of them but from what I see everyone post here both Abbey and Amanda seem ridiculously annoying. 

Amanda is actually very competent when she is not going off the rails in her posts.  She seems to have slowed that down a little bit on that since late last year but she once in a while does stray off.

Abbey on the other hand is just not good at all.  She is a glorified sports ticker and if you scroll through her timeline there is about as much Mets coverage as there is Devils and she seems far more engaged at the Mets stuff than Devils.

Sarah Baicker was still the worst of the worst.  Glad she is not affiliated with the Devils anymore.

1 minute ago, DJ Eco said:

I have almost 22,000 followers on Twitter (over 3 times more than Abbey, but a little less than Amanda), I know what it's like to deal with trolls and randoms sending malicious or annoying tweets for no reason; it's really easy to ignore it (and mute them), I don't understand them making this big dramatic spectacle about it. It's social media 101 that the bigger deal you make in showcasing your trolls, the more trolling you get.

Because it is attention-seeking behavior.  Simple as that.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

That's quite a bit of followers.  What do you specialize in to get those followers?  Devils related?  If so, what is your info so I can give you a follow.  I unfollowed Abbey and Sarah.  I think Amanda is good.  She did a lot of personal stuff early on, but don't see it as much.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Email the record, tweet at them as well that you want better coverage of the team. If enough people actually contact them about and do it respectfully they might actually acknowledge it. 

Personally I don't care about any of the Twitter coverage and I don't follow either of them but from what I see everyone post here both Abbey and Amanda seem ridiculously annoying. 

Fundamentally I still have the same issue that I have with criticism of Amanda's Twitter. These are posts on her Twitter page, not official reports for the Record, which I am sure you get elsewhere. Just because you want to read Twitter as your official news source doesn't make it an official news source.

BUT, that said, Abbey's account definitely looks more like she is trying for it to be an official news feed. Amanda's doesn't have that vibe whatsoever. And to quote Abbey herself:

"Also, you don’t get to tell me what to tweet. I don’t come into your office and tell you how to do your job, you don’t get to tell me how to do mine."

To me, that's an acknowledgment that posting on Twitter is "her job", at which point, yeah, she should be more professional than calling out her new followers and laying down the law without anyone asking nor having violated it. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Fundamentally I still have the same issue that I have with criticism of Amanda's Twitter. These are posts on her Twitter page, not official reports for the Record, which I am sure you get elsewhere. Just because you want to read Twitter as your official news source doesn't make it an official news source.

BUT, that said, Abbey's account definitely looks more like she is trying for it to be an official news feed. Amanda's doesn't have that vibe whatsoever. And to quote Abbey herself:

"Also, you don’t get to tell me what to tweet. I don’t come into your office and tell you how to do your job, you don’t get to tell me how to do mine."

To me, that's an acknowledgment that posting on Twitter is "her job", at which point, yeah, she should be more professional than calling out her new followers and laying down the law without anyone asking nor having violated it. 

Honestly they all (amanda,abby) seem very annoying.  I couldn't really give 2 craps about their personal life, and esp their politics. 

Having to "lay down the law" is a mini power trip to whoever thinking they're more important then anyone else....and in reality shes horrible, and doing stuff like that's makes her petty and worse then any of her followers imo

Edited by bobilly45

The thing that annoys me with sports twitter accounts is when they try to mix in politics, and I mean any politics, although sometimes that's twitter's fault when they make you see stuff that people you follow just liked.

I would suggest that if any of these people want to discuss politics, they do a separate account for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I just keep thinking if TG or AG would post the exact same thing what would happen.  Instead of getting 90% agreement and 10% hate in the responses to that post those numbers would be flipped.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The thing that annoys me with sports twitter accounts is when they try to mix in politics, and I mean any politics, although sometimes that's twitter's fault when they make you see stuff that people you follow just liked.

I would suggest that if any of these people want to discuss politics, they do a separate account for it. 

Jesse Spector and Damien Cox are really close to being unfollowed for me for this exact same reason.

12 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Honestly they all (amanda,abby) seem very annoying.  I couldn't really give 2 craps about their personal life, and esp their politics. 

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Not liking everything people post is true for me about basically everyone. That's why I stay off of Twitter and other "look at me" forms of social media, sticking instead to targeted forums like this one.

As I have said before, everyone has a friend who posts stuff that annoys them. It's your choice whether you follow them, but your opinion as to what they should or should not post is irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Jesse Spector and Damien Cox are really close to being unfollowed for me for this exact same reason.

I unfollowed Spector a long time ago.  I imagine I did the same with Cox, but I don't remember if I ever followed him.

I also unfollowed Peter King, which is a pity since his football reporting is interesting. 

• Like 1

I'm in the camp "if you don't want to read that stuff then skip over it or unfollow". 

I unfollowed Abbey early on - I get enough info from other sources and, for me, she has 0 value add.  

Amanda doesn't bother me at all. Some stuff I skip/skim over but the vast majority of her tweets are Devils related and interesting. I like that she has a personality & isn't afraid to show it. I didn't even remember the guy she met while traveling but it obviously made a big impression on some lol. It's whatever but I think we're lucky to have her... She's really embraced being a part of the Devils "family". I think she brings excitement & a fan's energy to the job.

Love Julie now but I didn't like her covering the Devils. She's much better suited to reporting on the Prospects; it seems to be where her heart is (prospects... and traveling). I enjoy her podcasts too.

TG was like Spock/Data/Si-mok Hwang. Miss him very much but the personality of wet cardboard. I'd take him over all the others in a NY min.

Gross was OK... IMHO, TG ruined that job for anyone else - no one would give us more information.  Don't remember anyone complaining when he would tweet about music or his daughters. I actually liked it - it made him more human than TG. 

I like Chris Ryan but it's rare he tweets out something different than what out there from other sources. He keeps it very professional. 

I don't miss Chere one iota; never followed him on twitter. 

Todd Cordell is great - I enjoy his writing/tweets. But you have to overlook his other interests that he tweets about - and all his coverage of Calgary (the other team he covers for Hockey Buzz). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not liking everything people post is true for me about basically everyone. That's why I stay off of Twitter and other "look at me" forms of social media, sticking instead to targeted forums like this one.

As I have said before, everyone has a friend who posts stuff that annoys them. It's your choice whether you follow them, but your opinion as to what they should or should not post is irrelevant. 

The one difference I will say is that my friends are not using their accounts for work or posting work-related items.

On FB they have a nice option where you can remain friends with someone but unfollow them where their posts do not show up on your timeline.  I have used that feature a lot on random people who have friended me on the Devils groups or former classmates of mine.  I had to unfollow a former HS classmate of mine because I got tired of seeing 10-15 posts a day about her infant son doing, quite literally, everything and everything.

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The one difference I will say is that my friends are not using their accounts for work or posting work-related items.

On FB they have a nice option where you can remain friends with someone but unfollow them where their posts do not show up on your timeline.  I have used that feature a lot on random people who have friended me on the Devils groups or former classmates of mine.  I had to unfollow a former HS classmate of mine because I got tired of seeing 10-15 posts a day about her infant son doing, quite literally, everything and everything.

You can do that on Twitter as well, it's called muting. "Mute is a feature that allows you to remove an account's Tweets from your timeline without unfollowing or blocking that account. Muted accounts will not know that you've muted them and you can unmute them at any time."  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

You can do that on Twitter as well, it's called muting. "Mute is a feature that allows you to remove an account's Tweets from your timeline without unfollowing or blocking that account. Muted accounts will not know that you've muted them and you can unmute them at any time."  

Didn't know that and thanks for telling me.  I am admittedly not as proficient at Twitter as I am on Facebook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Exactly. You didn't say "she should open a separate account for talking about her infant son". You made your choice. 

Doesn't matter that they post work related stuff, its still their choice to do so, and your choice whether or not to read it. The complaints read as "they should only post Devils related stuff because that's all I personally care about". Which as I said, is irrelevant. 

I'm older than most of the people here it seems, yet even I know that that's how Twitter accounts are used these days. And no matter how much one wants them to be "official" Devils related only Twitter accounts, that's not what they are. And, their respective employers 100% know it and encourage it because they know that's what "the kids are into". 

Now get off my lawn before I run over there, fall down the stairs, and break my hip. 

4 hours ago, lucifer91 said:

That's quite a bit of followers.  What do you specialize in to get those followers?  Devils related?  If so, what is your info so I can give you a follow.  I unfollowed Abbey and Sarah.  I think Amanda is good.  She did a lot of personal stuff early on, but don't see it as much.

Once upon a time, I was a touring DJ/producer; I kind of pulled the plug on the DJ/touring part last year as the lifestyle was increasingly not for me (lots of flights, time away from friends and family), and to focus on design/architecture (what I went to college for); but I still produce a lot of new music, so I try to keep a social media presence going in between releases!

I've got 84,000 followers on Facebook, so you can imagine some of the random trolling and baiting messages you get with those kinds of numbers; sometimes really hurtful stuff just to garner a response. Not even joking, there were times I'd get a really messed up message and when I replied like "wtf", they were like "Oh, I didn't mean that, just wanted to get a reply from you, your music rocks.. How's it going?" It's some weird generational behavior that's accompanied the rise of social media; but you learn to ignore it REAL fast, and it's really easy. You also learn that giving them a platform or attention just emboldens them and many others, so it's better to just mute those accounts and let them languish in not getting the satisfaction of a response.

On 9/17/2018 at 2:10 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I'm what you'd probably consider a "leftist" progressive, and even I'm a bit surprised by how often Jesse tweets about politics. I agree with a lot of what he says, but in this case, it doesn't matter, my standards are the same across the board and I'm surprised none of the publications he writes for asks him to tone it down or go with an alternate account. Just putting myself in other people's shoes, if he were very conservative and similarly opinionated, I'd probably unfollow as well.