GAME THREAD 1: NYR @ NJ 7:00 September 17th

Triumph

Typical kind of ragged initial preseason game.  Bratt just seems less and less impressive, but I really don't want to make a huge deal out of a game like this.  Sure the Ranger fans will do plenty of that.

I still don't think Q has much of a future here, but at least he seems to be going down fighting now...quite literally.

• Like 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Hall looked great out there for the most part at least. Lappin looked great and Ty Smith impressed me. 

Yeah on second thought Hall and Hischier looked fine. Bratt looked rusty.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Typical kind of ragged initial preseason game.  Bratt just seems less and less impressive, but I really don't want to make a huge deal out of a game like this.  Sure the Ranger fans will do plenty of that.

I still don't think Q has much of a future here, but at least he seems to be going down fighting now...quite literally.

After all it's the first game of pre-season. Not worried. Guys will get it clicking eventually with the full lineup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

Yeah on second thought Hall and Hischier looked fine. Bratt looked rusty.

After all it's the first game of pre-season. Not worried. Guys will get it clicking eventually with the full lineup.

Yeah really hard to evaluate a first preseason game.  Especially with a lineup that is clearly a preseason lineup in just about every way.  I just enjoy it for what it is...Devils hockey starting up again.

And yeah, Micheletti sucks.  DD56 nailed exactly how I feel about his "work".

• Like 2

RECAP:

- Somebody needs to flip on Mike Brown’s power switch for proper recaps.

- Brutal turnover by Bratt to end the game. 

- I don’t know which name made me and my daughter laugh harder, Georgeiev or Pionk. 

- It’s preseason and it’s irrelevant who wins. Still pissed. 

- Lias Anderson is definitely a Ranger because I already want him to go eat a bag of d!cks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Deleted

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

RECAP:

- Somebody needs to flip on Mike Brown’s power switch for proper recaps.

- Brutal turnover by Bratt to end the game. 

- I don’t know which name made me and my daughter laugh harder, Georgeiev or Pionk. 

- It’s preseason and it’s irrelevant who wins. Still pissed. 

- Lias Anderson is definitely a Ranger because I already want him to go eat a bag of d!cks. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:
  • Whatever the coaches came up with for tonight, I could've come up with something better.  If only the Devils would acknowledge my "I'd make a killer consultant, I really would!" texts...
  • Why isn't Eric Gelinas here on a PTO?
  • Insert stoppable shot list and numbers that don't seem to have much to do with the final result.

yawn

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:
  • Whatever the coaches came up with for tonight, I could've come up with something better.  If only the Devils would acknowledge my "I'd make a killer consultant, I really would!" texts...
  • Why isn't Eric Gelinas here on a PTO?
  • Insert stoppable shot list and numbers that don't seem to have much to do with the final result.

Whatever he posted would be more interesting to me than you guys making fun of him, that's for sure.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah amazing how all it takes is one preseason game to plant that seed.  He's already made my "arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh" list.

• Like 1

The kids looked pretty good. Lappin had a strong sound game, and Pietila caused problems for the Rangers defense in the first two periods, he's a strong pesky player and showed it on the play before the goal he assisted on. Ty Smith looked really poised and mature with the puck, rarely made the wrong move and showed some great confidence in tight situations, like that no-look pass on one of his two assists. Hall and Nico looked like they're ready to play (although also both a little rusty), but Nico especially showed some good things in his two-way play and ability to possess and hold onto the puck (he did bulk up a little bit). Cam Johnson looked solid too, I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the coming games (and from what I saw and heard, Lack had a strong game in Montreal too). Noesen and Coleman were a bit quiet, and McLeod was a bit slow to start, but you can see he definitely has the tools to take the next step. Bratt got hustled on that final play in OT, but let's face it, he was a bit gassed as this was an OT just 3 days after wrapping up a long offseason, and also played the most minutes as a forward at 21:31(Nico was second at 20:12; good to see the kids eating up big minutes!). I didn't see enough of Santini (good or bad) so I can't comment. Vatanen I think quietly put up a good game, as did Kinkaid (he made the saves he should be making). Kurtis Gabriel looks like an old school enforcer, and Gryba looks like an old school stay-at-home defenseman (big but strange hit on Nieves!), for better or worse.. 

Rangers' goalies played really well, and Lias Andersson looks dangerous this season. Admittedly, I don't know much about Buchnevich, but from previous times I remember seeing him play, he looks like he's matured. Meanwhile, Kreider was relatively quiet. Early preseason game though, so we'll see. Overall, I think New York put out the weaker/less experienced of the two teams tonight, so they played a pretty strong game in order to keep tying and staying in the game and then wrap it up in OT.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 2

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Was great being at the arena tonight for a game. Obviously less people than normal cause it's preseason but I'm amped up for the home opener already. 

Need to find a close up picture of Johnson's mask. Looked really cool on the scoreboard. 

How many were there?  7-8k or so?  Would've gone myself, but just got back from CA today.

1 minute ago, DJ Eco said:

The kids looked pretty good. Lappin had a strong sound game, and Pietila caused problems for the Rangers defense in the first two periods, he's a strong pesky player and showed it on the play before the goal he assisted on. Ty Smith looked really poised and mature with the puck, rarely made the wrong move and showed some great confidence in tight situations, like that no-look pass on one of his two assists. Hall and Nico looked like they're ready to play (although also both a little rusty), but Nico especially showed some good things in his two-way play and ability to possess and hold onto the puck (he did bulk up a little bit). Cam Johnson looked solid too, I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the coming games (and from what I saw and heard, Lack had a strong game in Montreal too). Noesen and Coleman were a bit quiet, and McLeod was a bit slow to start, but you can see he definitely has the tools to take the next step. Bratt got hustled on that final play in OT, but let's face it, he was a bit gassed as this was an OT just 3 days after wrapping up a long offseason, and also played the most minutes as a forward at 21:31(Nico was second at 20:12; good to see the kids eating up big minutes!). I didn't see enough of Santini (good or bad) so I can't comment. Vatanen I think quietly put up a good game, as did Kinkaid (he made the saves he should be making). Kurtis Gabriel looks like an old school enforcer, and Gryba looks like an old school defenseman (big but strange hit on Nieves!).. 

Rangers' goalies played really well, and Lias Andersson looks dangerous this season. Admittedly, I don't know much about Buchnevich, but from previous times I remember seeing him play, he looks like he's matured. Meanwhile, Kreider was relatively quiet. Early preseason game though, so we'll see. Overall, I think New York put out the weaker/less experienced of the two teams tonight, so they played a pretty strong game in order to keep tying and staying in the game and then wrap it up in OT.

Nice summation, pretty much what you'd expect to see for a team like this at this point...some good moments, some sloppy ones, some rust, and some conditioning issues here and there.