Wood signs 4-year deal

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Now, if Miles was arguing for more term rather than more AAV, I have more respect for that. Happy to see him get a deal done. 

I think you are reading that wrong and Cordell is not stating it well. A bridge deal would have been 2 years. I think Ray offered 2 years $3MM and by “giving up term” it means Wood gave up Extra years to the devils at a lower AAV for more total $

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

I think you are reading that wrong and Cordell is not stating it well. A bridge deal would have been 2 years. I think Ray offered 2 years $3MM and by “giving up term” it means Wood gave up Extra years to the devils at a lower AAV for more total $

That’s not my interpretation of what “gave up term” means. I think you are right, it was not well stated. 

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s not my interpretation of what “gave up term” means. I think you are right, it was not well stated. 

To be fair, theoretically this is a “bridge” deal as well because he’s still an RFA after it but there is enough years on this that it is cost controlled for the Devils much longer than a typical bridge deal and even w/ arbitration in year 5, if Wood becomes a 45-60 point player, there’s only so much higher he’ll go. In today’s dollars, he wouldn’t be a $7mm guy as if he were a UFA coming off those years. 

It feels like a mild win for Wood, but seems like a reasonable deal for both sides.  One less guy to worry about for a while.  Like others, glad it's over with, with plenty of preseason left to boot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

4 years at this price is a great deal.  I was very surprised when it was reported that they were talking about a 2 year deal because that's when so many other players are free agents.  This is almost exactly what I wanted out of this deal.

Which part do have a minor quibble with?  AAV or term?  I have this as a mild win for Wood because the AAV seems a little higher than I would've expected.  I would've considered 4 years at $2.5 million per season (or slightly less) a perfect deal. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Which part do have a minor quibble with?  AAV or term?  I have this as a mild win for Wood because the AAV seems a little higher than I would've expected.  I would've considered 4 years at $2.5 million per season (or slightly less) a perfect deal. 

$2.5m was what I thought was fair. And it’s $2.5m for the first three years with a raise in year 4. 

Now, he turns 27 in September 2022. So that means July 1 of that year, he remains an RFA, is that accurate?

If so, it’s just barely so, and I think the $1m raise in the last year is a classy move. It will be interesting to see whether he signs a one year deal and tests UFA. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wanted 5 years.  4 years at 2.75 when Kase is making 2.6/3 and Wilson got 5.1/6 is a pretty good deal for the Devils.