Behind the Glass- Devils Training Camp: NHL Network

Nicomo

43 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Great to see something like this for our team, but there was an inexplicable amount of time and resources spent on chronicling Kurtis Gabriel, which was strange.

Also, John Hynes is the man.

Yeah that would be my one complaint. Who gives a rats fvck about Kurtis Gabriel?

On 9/27/2018 at 5:57 AM, devlman said:

I like how Ray uses Cap Friendly.  Maybe that explains all those ridiculous armchair GM trades.

I finally got to finish it thanks to my DVR actually recording the full episode yesterday. Thought that they use CapFriendly in their meetings is pretty hilarious 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Would love to see a lot more footage of the upper level management meetings, although I know that's probably not what excites the average non-Devils hockey fan who may be tuning in, so I can see them limiting that to a minute or 2.

Wasn't there a video/special on the Bruins when they traded Phil Kessel? Something like that anyway. Watching GMs wheel and deal on the phone is pretty damn cool. Especially now that I know they're all just using CapFriendly lol.

• Like 1

seeing the part on Kurtis... how often do we see guys like that.. enforcers or energy guys... not able to do much else than that, pumping themselves to "prove themselves" but they cannot wait for the right opportunity, force it and end up making a super stupid move cause they were thinking of themselves and not for the team. I remember Cam Jansen did that a few times too. Just wanted to get out there and deliver a huge hit... opportunity wasnt there so he was just making a dumb late hit or wtv and would get us in trouble.

obviously its understandable that you have like... 4-5 minutes per game to impress so your time is restrained but you still got to be smart about it

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Wasn't there a video/special on the Bruins when they traded Phil Kessel? Something like that anyway. Watching GMs wheel and deal on the phone is pretty damn cool. Especially now that I know they're all just using CapFriendly lol.

I thought it was the Seguin trade. But yeah it was interesting.

• Like 3

Spoiler Alert, I guess? haha

Episode 2 was miles better than episode 1. We see Shero and Hynes meeting with some of the players to let them know they've been cut. We get some kind words about Jersey and the fanbase from Hall walking along the Hoboken waterfront. I don't think he'll ever want to leave this place, he's become a man and found his identity here in Jersey; who would've thought? We get some glimpses from Ty Smith. Boy, does he seem like a Stoic, cut from the same cloth as Hynes. We saw it in the maturity in his play, and we see moments of the commitment and confidence with which he approaches the game at such a young age. He is so cool, calm, and collected, and has some potential leadership qualities. He's really deadpan (like Hynes) and nothing fazes him, which we saw in some of his playmaking in tight spaces. I love how he didn't mince words in front of Shero and Hynes, he said "I hate it" when told that he had to go back to juniors. I think he knows he has what it takes to make the team, he knows he proved himself. He also understands that he needs some seasoning and then he'll be back as soon as next season and have a big spot on the team waiting for him. It's pretty clear that Shero and Hynes absolutely love the kid, Shero and Fitzgerald were really excited in their comments about his potential, while Hynes was keeping things in perspective and not trying to blow the kid's head up. He knows what he's doing, and he knows that Ty Smith has the potential to become a big piece of the puzzle (and I think he will too) if they groom him correctly. The kids is a warrior.

More than anything, you can see Hynes has worked with and groomed many talented young men before, and that he knows how to interact with them each differently. Hall said it last episode, and we see it in action in this episode; he knows how to press their respective buttons. He rides the players really hard, but knows when to engage them more casually and light-heartedly; like him chatting with Vatanen during a stretch asking him if he's excited to go to Europe, or Quenneville joking with him to "get out the way or next time I'm going to run you the fvck over if you're there (haha)." There's no doubt in my mind that he has the respect of every single guy in that locker room.

Finally, we see the return of Wood in the locker room, and Johansson cracks me up, barging into the locker room fully dressed from practice and greeting Wood with, "Holy sh!t! Nice of you to show up! There he is!" Oh man, that was hilarious. Wood has real positive aura about him and a winning personality. Then they shift to Nico in anticipation of the game vs. Bern. You can tell the whole team thinks the world of him, and that he has a quiet, calm, light-hearted but important presence on this team. Everyone loves the kid, and it's clear that they're all excited about sharing the experience in Switzerland with him.

Great episode, much better than episode 1. I feel really good about the state of the team and the leadership/coaching staff in place. Don't mind the 2-2-2 record; those 4 losses were us trying things out. The Winnipeg and Bern games are closer and closer to our starting lineup and you can see they've found the lines we're going with on opening night Saturday.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 3