GDT: Devils @ Bern 1:30 PM, MSG+, NHLN

MadDog2020

When i was at a NHL game for the first (and unique) time... I was surprised how relatively quiet the audience was compare to what i know in Europe for others sports (especially Football) (yes football ! Bunch of imperialist Yankee ! ; ) )
It was in Montreal and it was supposed to be a hot place and all that... It was still fun and I had a blast ... But was surprise nonetheless !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moustic said:

When i was at a NHL game for the first (and unique) time... I was surprised how relatively quiet the audience was compare to what i know in Europe for others sports (especially Football) (yes football ! Bunch of imperialist Yankee ! ; ) )
It was in Montreal and it was supposed to be a hot place and all that... It was still fun and I had a blast ... But was surprise nonetheless !

Eastern Canadian crowds are like watching a wake, regardless of the sport, at least I have found. 

1 hour ago, moustic said:

16 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Eastern Canadian crowds are like watching a wake, regardless of the sport, at least I have found. 

I was listening to the radio and the report was that the crowd was a lot quieter than the game earlier in the week because a lot of their STH fan base boycott the game or something. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I was listening to the radio and the report was that the crowd was a lot quieter than the game earlier in the week because a lot of their STH fan base boycott the game or something. 

Yeah, I think their main supporter groups sent an email out saying they wouldn't have their normal presence, because SC Bern season ticket holders weren't given any sort of priority in purchasing tickets, so they couldn't organize, not to mention many other rival fans could buy tickets too.

What I'd still really like to get going in the Devils fanbase is Iceland's "Viking Clap", that would sound amazing in an enclosed arena. Without supporters groups or a chanting section though, unfortunately we don't have a way to work these into the "repertoire" so to speak..

I'm curious if being there in Switzerland in that environment has Hugh Weber and the Devils brass thinking they should allow and encourage something like that moving forward. One section that allows banners, flags, noisemakers, chanting, etc., and not overly canned like the Diablos after the 1st year..

Edited by DJ Eco

6 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

What I'd still really like to get going in the Devils fanbase is Iceland's "Viking Clap", that would sound amazing in an enclosed arena. Without supporters groups or a chanting section though, unfortunately we don't have a way to work these into the "repertoire" so to speak..

I'm curious if being there in Switzerland in that environment has Hugh Weber and the Devils brass thinking they should allow and encourage something like that moving forward. One section that allows banners, flags, noisemakers, chanting, etc., and not overly canned like the Diablos after the 1st year..

I don't think they mind it, but I think they cannot trust our fans to not try their hardest to shoehorn in "you suck" or something about the Rangers/Flyers/Penguins/etc into whatever chant there is.

53 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I don't particularly like the Viking clap at this point cause there are too many teams in the states doing it now. 

Also have 0 faith in Hugh Weber doing anything creative that is any good. This is pure cringe... 

On 10/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, DevsMan84 said:

I don't think they mind it, but I think they cannot trust our fans to not try their hardest to shoehorn in "you suck" or something about the Rangers/Flyers/Penguins/etc into whatever chant there is.

It's not shoehorning when it happens organically, from the fans. What a buzzword that's become on this board since current ownership took over. 

What would be shoehorning would be trying to force a soccer/European type atmosphere in the NHL. The groups would be under lock and key by ownership, and it would be canned and lack that organic passion. In most of those countries, those groups are organized by street gangs or based on political affiliation, and they decided to bring it to the US and try to make it look real while keeping a lid on the explosiveness that makes those atmospheres unique. You can just hear it in the voice of American soccer supporters, the passion is nowhere near the same, and it wouldn't be if Hugh set up a little band up in 232 to sing family friendly songs.

One of those goofy Red Bull groups swung through a few years ago didn't they? It was stupid.

If there's anyone we should be modeling after, it's how they organize English fans. One section of the stadium should be there with the understanding the rowdier fans can all congregate there, stay standing, go nuts and drink beer, and from there songs and chants can start organically. And you should have sections cordoned off for visiting fans. Keeps people safer and brings all the energy of the away fans into one area. It would make for a great atmosphere. 

Giving a season ticket holder a drum and a list of approved songs is not the way to go. 

5 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

It's not shoehorning when it happens organically, from the fans. What a buzzword that's become on this board since current ownership took over. 

What would be shoehorning would be trying to force a soccer/European type atmosphere in the NHL. The groups would be under lock and key by ownership, and it would be canned and lack that organic passion. In most of those countries, those groups are organized by street gangs or based on political affiliation, and they decided to bring it to the US and try to make it look real while keeping a lid on the explosiveness that makes those atmospheres unique. You can just hear it in the voice of American soccer supporters, the passion is nowhere near the same, and it wouldn't be if Hugh set up a little band up in 232 to sing family friendly songs.

One of those goofy Red Bull groups swung through a few years ago didn't they? It was stupid.

If there's anyone we should be modeling after, it's how they organize English fans. One section of the stadium should be there with the understanding the rowdier fans can all congregate there, stay standing, go nuts and drink beer, and from there songs and chants can start organically. And you should have sections cordoned off for visiting fans. Keeps people safer and brings all the energy of the away fans into one area. It would make for a great atmosphere. 

Giving a season ticket holder a drum and a list of approved songs is not the way to go. 

I think you're quite off base on how soccer is here right now. I don't like how the team USA supporters groups are but there are some MLS teams that have absolutely fantastic atmospheres. 

• Like 1

Also, English soccer fan culture (in the stadium) is some of the most subpar in Europe; they've been neutered by restrictions, laws, lifetime bans of certain ringleaders, etc.; no flags, smoke bombs, not much really. They complain about the lack of atmosphere themselves. Sure, a few songs here and there in Liverpool or Man U are mic'd well on TNT/ESPN, but I'd rank English supporter culture way low on a long list of European leagues' fans: German, Turkish, Serbian, Polish, Italian (some teams, they're hurting too now though). We're talking people with no jobs on welfare who show up to team practices everyday with smoke bombs and face paint, gang-fighting before rivalry games; poor people saving their public assistance money to fly to Champions League games abroad and sh!t lolol... It's probably for the better, but England has basically neutralized that whole culture from the major leagues.

Inversely, I'd take Portland or Montreal fans over any supporters groups in England; I mean, show me a tifo in England this season that outdoes what Portland supporters do every week, that's dedication! MLS gets a bad rap, just because "it's just MLS", but not because it's always warranted. 

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think you're quite off base on how soccer is here right now. I don't like how the team USA supporters groups are but there are some MLS teams that have absolutely fantastic atmospheres. 

I'm more than familiar with the MLS and the owner friendly league structure that boxes out dozens of potential fan bases and high level academies that would develop more American talent. 

6 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Also, English soccer fan culture (in the stadium) is some of the most subpar in Europe; they've been neutered by restrictions, laws, lifetime bans of certain ringleaders, etc.; no flags, smoke bombs, not much really. They complain about the lack of atmosphere themselves. Sure, a few songs here and there in Liverpool or Man U are mic'd well on TNT/ESPN, but I'd rank English supporter culture way low on a long list of European leagues' fans: German, Turkish, Serbian, Polish, Italian (some teams, they're hurting too now though). We're talking people with no jobs on welfare who show up to team practices everyday with smoke bombs and face paint, gang-fighting before rivalry games; poor people saving their public assistance money to fly to Champions League games abroad and sh!t lolol... It's probably for the better, but England has basically neutralized that whole culture from the major leagues.

Inversely, I'd take Portland or Montreal fans over any supporters groups in England; I mean, show me a tifo in England this season that outdoes what Portland supporters do every week, that's dedication! MLS gets a bad rap, just because "it's just MLS", but not because it's always warranted. 

I'm not saying England has the best atmosphere in soccer, what I said is that if the Devils or the NHL wanted to change the nature of the atmosphere at games here, that's how, if any way at all, you should do it. You want Devils-Rangers to look like Red Star-Partizan? You want to pop flares off in the Rock?

There's a huge difference in US soccer support and soccer support in other parts of the world. It's ingenuine here, because most people involved in those groups do it because they want to mimick what they do in Europe. They do it in Europe because they love their clubs that have been a part of their communities for generations. I hate to use the word plastic, but that's what MLS support is. You can just hear it in the voices of the supporters, whether it's 3,000 of them in Portland or a hundred in Colorado.

While the English don't put on the best atmosphere, they're the best soccer fans in the world. They're all there because they care about what's going on on the field more than anything else in the world. Even in parts of Europe, people aren't always a part of those groups for those reasons.  Singing and banging drums for 90 minutes none stop and elaborate tifo displays aren't reflections of pure passion, they're often just self serving chest pounding.

And I'm not some Europhile soccer fan. I follow casually a few teams in Europe to keep me occupied (a PL team I can get on tv and a team from the family's hometown in the Greek second division), but I want more than anyone for professional soccer in America to get to a place I can stomach supporting it. And i dont mean the quality of soccer, that's the last thing I care about in terms of supporting a pro club.

Edited by thecoffeecake

15 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I'm more than familiar with the MLS and the owner friendly league structure that boxes out dozens of potential fan bases and high level academies that would develop more American talent. 

I'm not saying England has the best atmosphere in soccer, what I said is that if the Devils or the NHL wanted to change the nature of the atmosphere at games here, that's how, if any way at all, you should do it. You want Devils-Rangers to look like Red Star-Partizan? You want to pop flares off in the Rock?

There's a huge difference in US soccer support and soccer support in other parts of the world. It's ingenuine here, because most people involved in those groups do it because they want to mimick what they do in Europe. They do it in Europe because they love their clubs that have been a part of their communities for generations. I hate to use the word plastic, but that's what MLS support is. You can just hear it in the voices of the supporters, whether it's 3,000 of them in Portland or a hundred in Colorado.

While the English don't put on the best atmosphere, they're the best soccer fans in the world. They're all there because they care about what's going on on the field more than anything else in the world. Even in parts of Europe, people aren't always a part of those groups for those reasons.  Singing and banging drums for 90 minutes none stop and elaborate tifo displays aren't reflections of pure passion, they're often just self serving chest pounding.

And I'm not some Europhile soccer fan. I follow casually a few teams in Europe to keep me occupied (a PL team I can get on tv and a team from the family's hometown in the Greek second division), but I want more than anyone for professional soccer in America to get to a place I can stomach supporting it. And i dont mean the quality of soccer, that's the last thing I care about in terms of supporting a pro club.

I'm not a Euro fan either, I actually don't even care about soccer unless it's the Red Bulls or team USA playing. I'll watch other teams in the world cup play but that's different and I don't root for anyone else but the Euro champions league and the rest of that? Don't care at all. I hate how the English league is setup, it's the same teams that win every year, a bunch of bottom feeders who are clinging on to not be regulated and then the teams in the middle who are the worst off because their games are virtually meaningless. Absolutely horrid system in my opinion. 

I've been a Red Bulls season ticket holder since the days of the Metrostars. There's 3 different supporters groups and all have their own styles of supporting. I only like 1 of them but I really don't think the fans are plastic.... My passion for the team is real, I'm there to watch the team and sing and root for them whether they win or lose....what else do you expect people to do? 

The league has only been around since 1996 so of course it's not going to have the tradition and history leagues do around the world but if you don't support it you can't help it grow. It's gotta start somewhere. 

Portland has a tremendous fan base, they even sell out the games for the women's pro team. I just don't agree with calling them fake. That city loves soccer. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm not a Euro fan either, I actually don't even care about soccer unless it's the Red Bulls or team USA playing. I'll watch other teams in the world cup play but that's different and I don't root for anyone else but the Euro champions league and the rest of that? Don't care at all. I hate how the English league is setup, it's the same teams that win every year, a bunch of bottom feeders who are clinging on to not be regulated and then the teams in the middle who are the worst off because their games are virtually meaningless. Absolutely horrid system in my opinion. 

I've been a Red Bulls season ticket holder since the days of the Metrostars. There's 3 different supporters groups and all have their own styles of supporting. I only like 1 of them but I really don't think the fans are plastic.... My passion for the team is real, I'm there to watch the team and sing and root for them whether they win or lose....what else do you expect people to do? 

The league has only been around since 1996 so of course it's not going to have the tradition and history leagues do around the world but if you don't support it you can't help it grow. It's gotta start somewhere. 

Portland has a tremendous fan base, they even sell out the games for the women's pro team. I just don't agree with calling them fake. That city loves soccer. 

I'm not saying the fans are fake, I'm talking specifically about the supporters groups that care more about the show they put on than the game on the field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thecoffeecake said:

I'm not saying the fans are fake, I'm talking specifically about the supporters groups that care more about the show they put on than the game on the field.

How many MLS games have you gone to? This just hasn't been my experience at all. Besides the obvious home games at Red Bull Arena/Giants Stadium I've been to games in Philly, DC, Montreal, Columbus, Toronto, Kansas City, Yankee Stadium(sucks for soccer) Los Angeles, San Jose, New England and also Cincinnati for us open cup soccer.

That Cincinnati game was wild, there were 33k+ there. The atmosphere was absolutely incredible. Check out the highlights... 

People sing and chant along but everyone around me and the other team's fans I've seen are always watching the game more than they are trying to get others to look at them. 

I just really don't know what you expect the supporters group to do.