2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

According to reports, the Red Wings will be replacing all the seats in their brand new arena from red to black.  The official line from the team is that it is done to accommodate the Pistons who are moving to the arena.  However, apparently the real reason is that the owners/operators of the arena are embarrassed about how the red seats make them more glaring when they are empty and that the black seats will make the arena appear more "full" when not occupied.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(This is the exact laugh that went through my head at this news...at the 0:53 mark):

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dazed+and+confused+mailbox&&view=detail&mid=1F8B3A32412583FB186A1F8B3A32412583FB186A&rvsmid=3E9DC022AC9EC7E035C63E9DC022AC9EC7E035C6&FORM=VDQVAP

Not sure what sh!t-enkirk has less of at this point:  confidence, or functioning follicles

KEEP LIVING THE DREAM LOSER!

I remember being pissed when he didn't sign with us.  Now I feel like we dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I remember being pissed when he didn't sign with us.  Now I feel like we dodged a bullet.

I wasn't pissed, mostly because it was obvious that he was only interested in coming here if the Rangers were 100% unable to sign him, or simply not interested.  I think Shero knew fairly early on how it was going to go, and simply chose not to waste too much time or energy on him (though he did keep the door open should something fall through). 

At any rate, give me a younger and far more cost-effective Butcher over him any day.  Nice to have Vatanen here too.  And Ty Smith could be here as soon as next season...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Big time. 

Much as I hate to admit it, the Rangers did a decent job with his contract...it's not like they're stuck with him for an insane amount of time.  If he still isn't playing well and they can get him to waive his no-trade clause, they can move him in Year 4 (the final season of his deal, in 2020-21) to a team needing to hit the floor...his cap hit is $6,650,000, but he'll only make $2 million that year.  But it's looking like they're going to get a pretty lousy return on their investment, unless he turns it around pretty soon.  Healthy-scratched in Game 4 because he's still fvcked up over sucking last year?  Yikes...

I was pissed because he was the best available defenseman and that was what we needed. 

Honestly, Butcher wound up the better deal as far as I am concerned. 

Shattenkirk: 46 GP, 5 G, 18 A as the best available, highly compensated free agent. 

Butcher: 81 GP, 5 G, 39 A as a rookie fresh out of college at an entry level salary. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Much as I hate to admit it, the Rangers did a decent job with his contract...

We don't say positive things about the Rangers here...true or not!!

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Gritty is so bad, he’s good. 

Just like Roadhouse...

"The name...is GRITTY."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Can we also say, there's a reason some balding dudes shave their head, and not looking like this is probably at the top of the list. 

I was actually thinking the EXACT same thing.  When I saw this picture the first thing that went through my mind after the shock and horror (considering he shouldn't really be losing his hair that badly because he's not that old I don't think, right?) was the fact that he should definitely have shaved that completely and embraced his baldness.  Hell, a lot of guys who are balding look like badasses when they shave their head.  Shattenkirk just looks horrifyingly creepy in that picture.  All that's missing is a set of glasses and a calculator and I would've pegged him for an accountant easily.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was actually thinking the EXACT same thing.  When I saw this picture the first thing that went through my mind after the shock and horror (considering he shouldn't really be losing his hair that badly because he's not that old I don't think, right?) was the fact that he should definitely have shaved that completely and embraced his baldness.  Hell, a lot of guys who are balding look like badasses when they shave their head.  Shattenkirk just looks horrifyingly creepy in that picture.  All that's missing is a set of glasses and a calculator and I would've pegged him for an accountant easily.

as a 35 year old dude who lost my hair on top, this is exactly what I did, shaved the top and grew a beard, much better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lucifer91 said:

as a 35 year old dude who lost my hair on top, this is exactly what I did, shaved the top and grew a beard, much better.

Yeah, complete transformation I bet.  I'm not bald, but I started getting gray in my late 20s, and I have a fair amount in my beard, and if I don't put any type of gel or style my hair with something, it goes from what usually looks like a dark brown to it's natural state of what unfortunately is now more gray than anything else.  

Gladly eating crow, I wasn't one of the really rabid "WE MUST SIGN SHATTENKIRK!!!" guys, but I did think he was the type of move we needed to make at the time. I knew his defense wasn't great (Blues fans warned us Devils and Rangers fans plenty), but I didn't realize he was this bad. Sheesh, there's really something about the Rangers, they keep making these same mistakes no matter who the GM is. Maybe Quinn smartens them up on the moves they make moving forward, but I hope not!!

Another good non-move you have to chalk up to Shero; the pressure was really there from the fanbase to give Shattenkirk a pay-day regardless of his faults. Same exact pressure as there was this offseason (fans screaming "do something!!!"), and Shero will probably be vindicated for having not done much now too.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Can we also say, there's a reason some balding dudes shave their head, and not looking like this is probably at the top of the list. 

He looked ridiculous for a long time trying to salvage what he had up there

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck the Bills. 

fvck both teams. That whole city walks around with this sense of entitlement following a presidents trophy and back to back conference finals appearances with absolutely nothing to show for it. I honestly hope they never win the Cup.

source: a lot of pent up anger from the last few years of my 7+ living there

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Gladly eating crow, I wasn't one of the really rabid "WE MUST SIGN SHATTENKIRK!!!" guys, but I did think he was the type of move we needed to make at the time. I knew his defense wasn't great (Blues fans warned us Devils and Rangers fans plenty), but I didn't realize he was this bad. Sheesh, there's really something about the Rangers, they keep making these same mistakes no matter who the GM is. Maybe Quinn smartens them up on the moves they make moving forward, but I hope not!!

Another good non-move you have to chalk up to Shero; the pressure was really there from the fanbase to give Shattenkirk a pay-day regardless of his faults. Same exact pressure as there was this offseason (fans screaming "do something!!!"), and Shero will probably be vindicated for having not done much now too.

In fairness, I think Shero was definitely very interested in Shattenkirk originally, and if the Rangers hadn't cleared the cap space needed to bring him in, I think Shattenkirk absolutely would've been a Devil.  But I give Shero plenty of credit for going hard after Butcher, and then trading an expendable player in Henrique for Vatanen, who's more important to the Devils now than Henrique would've been.  He still found what the Devils needed. 

I have to admit, I remember being surprised by how pissed the board was that he didn't sign here...lots of vitriol towards Shero (basically he should've been able to MAKE Shattenkirk sign was the vibe among many) and just a general sense that the 2017 offseason had been lost before it had even gotten underway.  I wouldn't have minded Shattenkirk at the time, but I never thought he was the be-all end-all of the future of the Devils (and some were acting like he was). 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He's got one of those nerdy faces that he won't look like much of a badass no matter what, but shaving his head would 100% be the absolute least of all evils, given the cruel follicular hand he was dealt.  Even Ryan Getzlaf figured that out eventually. 

Alright. As a guy in his late 30's who started balding noticeably at 21, I just want you all to know you're all a buncha jerks!! I wish you all cold noggins this winter!

Now, all of you apologize to the Bald Eagle, Wildman Al Iafrate. He fought the good fight for a long time. 

7A189E64-3953-47D1-A1C0-84C832E1007E.png

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Alright. As a guy in his late 30's who started balding noticeably at 21, I just want you all to know you're all a buncha jerks!! I wish you all cold noggins this winter!

Now, all of you apologize to the Bald Eagle, Wildman Al Iafrate. He fought the good fight for a long time. 

7A189E64-3953-47D1-A1C0-84C832E1007E.png

That was the 80's, there were no rules. These guys were considered cool in the 80's. 

300?cb=20150904002636

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And this is why there’s gonna be yet another work stoppage.

35-40% on millions is still pretty awesome.  He (and NHLers themselves) can state their facts and preface them with "no lookin for any sympathy" remarks all they want, but when they're making more in one year than what 99% of the people in the world will make in their lifetimes, that's exactly what they're going to get.  No one wants to hear or cares that they're getting 35-40% of what they're "supposed" to get according to the deals they've signed.  And this is coming from someone who believes in capitalism.  Good for them for earning millions of dollars.  But I couldn't give two sh!ts that some of them might be getting half of what they otherwise would.  It's taxes.  We all pay them.  I used to get a bonus when I worked at a former employer, and it was taxed at the same 38% rate as anyone else.  Difference was mine was maybe a couple thou, I wasn't making millions.  Tough sh!t.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

35-40% on millions is still pretty awesome. 

I'd like to earn it.

But you're talking about a league with a salary cap. Telling a guy that regardless of anything, the max he can earn is $15m, but we can't pay you that because there's a cap so we'll pay you $10m, but you only get to keep $3.5m of that, doesn't seem fair. 

That being the case, there's a pretty good argument that the salary cap is WAY low. 

If you are talking about baseball players, where there's no cap, fvck them. They are just getting taxed on their rightful earnings. NHL guys aren't getting what they could have otherwise gotten without a cap; they aren't getting their rightful earnings.

As noted above, that's how you have a work stoppage.