2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

35-40% on millions is still pretty awesome.  He (and NHLers themselves) can state their facts and preface them with "no lookin for any sympathy" remarks all they want, but when they're making more in one year than what 99% of the people in the world will make in their lifetimes, that's exactly what they're going to get.  No one wants to hear or cares that they're getting 35-40% of what they're "supposed" to get according to the deals they've signed.  And this is coming from someone who believes in capitalism.  Good for them for earning millions of dollars.  But I couldn't give two sh!ts that some of them might be getting half of what they otherwise would.  It's taxes.  We all pay them.  I used to get a bonus when I worked at a former employer, and it was taxed at the same 38% rate as anyone else.  Difference was mine was maybe a couple thou, I wasn't making millions.  Tough sh!t.

Escrow is the issue though, not taxes. Taxes aren’t collectively bargained- escrow is. It’s nice that you and I don’t care that the players are only taking home 35% of their check, but guess who does care? The players. Which is why this isn’t good news. 

Edited by MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

😂

I understand the Division Champs banner (we have lots of those) and the President's trophy banner (most teams have those), but the Regular season conference champ one has me stumped.  That is the first time in my life I have ever seen that being put on a banner by any team in the NHL.  Is that even an accomplishment?  For conference I have only seen playoff champs.

Plus the President's trophy banner makes the other 2 pretty much redundant.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I understand the Division Champs banner (we have lots of those) and the President's trophy banner (most teams have those), but the Regular season conference champ one has me stumped.  That is the first time in my life I have ever seen that being put on a banner by any team in the NHL.  Is that even an accomplishment?  For conference I have only seen playoff champs.

If you read the article I posted before the tweet, it does mention that other teams have the regular season conference banners (Including the Red Wings, which surprised me). I know the Rags have a couple too (that say ‘Regular Season Champions’ I think). 

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If you read the article I posted before the tweet, it does mention that other teams have the regular season conference banners (Including the Red Wings, which surprised me). I know the Rags have a couple too (that say ‘Regular Season Champions’ I think). 

I think the Rangers use Regular season champs in place of President's trophy.

I am just shocked about regular season conference banners.  I didn't know teams did that, especially teams like Detroit.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah I'm fine with the division and presidents trophy banner. Both deserve recognition for a good season but the regular season Western conference thing is just silly and makes them look pathetic. 

59 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Where's the "Best Record At Home on Tuesdays" banner??

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

How will they ever survive? Us regular smucks pay a lot of taxes as well and don't make nearly anywhere the same money. So hard to find any empathy for stuff like this. 

I already said it once, but I’ll say it again- this isn’t about taxes. It’s about ESCROW. Forget the thing he says about taxes. ESCROW. That’s the issue. And yeah, first world problem for sure- but I don’t care how much you make, NO ONE wants to have 11.5% of their check withheld in an escrow account, not knowing if you’ll actually get it back. I don’t blame the players on that one. That would piss me off, it would piss you off, and it pisses the players off, and it’s why another work stoppage is coming. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I already said it once, but I’ll say it again- this isn’t about taxes. It’s about ESCROW. Forget the thing he says about taxes. ESCROW. That’s the issue. And yeah, first world problem for sure- but I don’t care how much you make, NO ONE wants to have 11.5% of their check withheld in an escrow account, not knowing if you’ll actually get it back. I don’t blame the players on that one. That would piss me off, it would piss you off, and it pisses the players off, and it’s why another work stoppage is coming. 

especially when for us 11% of a paycheck means.... maybe a new pair of pants? for them it means like...a car, a house, a cottage or wtv haha

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The whole argument is irrelevant anyway. If you don't think rich people care what is taken out of their check because they're still rich, you probably don't know any rich people. 

The sad thing is the rich people I do know are substantially cheaper than anyone else I know lol.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

especially when for us 11% of a paycheck means.... maybe a new pair of pants? for them it means like...a car, a house, a cottage or wtv haha

John Tavares is set to make $15,900,000 this year with signing bonuses and base salary. If that is a bi-weekly check, 26 pay periods a year, 11.5% is $70,326.92 or $1,828,500 annually. Does my math check out here?

Edited by NJDevils1214

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I just don't care and really don't care if there is another work stoppage either. It's just time and money I'll spend elsewhere until it comes back. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The sad thing is the rich people I do know are substantially cheaper than anyone else I know lol.

Definitely!! I know one who gets his prescriptions filled by mail order from outside the country because "They are cheaper because the FDA doesn't have to approve them". 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

John Tavares is set to make $15,900,000 this year with signing bonuses and base salary. If that is a bi-weekly check, 26 pay periods a year, 11.5% is $70,326.92 or $1,828,500 annually. Does my math check out here?

Yes. You could also have just taken 11.5% of $15,900,000.

It doesn't sound bad when you isolate it. But you're talking about on top of 50% in taxes and other deductions. 

$15,900,000 X 50% = $1,828,500 = $6,121,500 in his pocket on a $15.9m contract (with bonuses). Sure, that's plenty of money. But again, you're limiting his ability to earn by imposing a salary cap. He probably makes another $5m otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah I'm fine with the division and presidents trophy banner. Both deserve recognition for a good season but the regular season Western conference thing is just silly and makes them look pathetic. 

The 1987-88 Patrick Division Playoff Champ banner always felt a desperate attempt to have SOMETHING up in the rafters, but I understood it at the time...it seemed so lonely for so long.  The irony of course is that a very fine 1993-94 season led to no banners at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely!! I know one who gets his prescriptions filled by mail order from outside the country because "They are cheaper because the FDA doesn't have to approve them". 

Yes. You could also have just taken 11.5% of $15,900,000.

It doesn't sound bad when you isolate it. But you're talking about on top of 50% in taxes and other deductions. 

$15,900,000 X 50% = $1,828,500 = $6,121,500 in his pocket on a $15.9m contract (with bonuses). Sure, that's plenty of money. But again, you're limiting his ability to earn by imposing a salary cap. He probably makes another $5m otherwise. 

I could have, but MD2020 and SD said paycheck so I did bi-weekly.

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I could have, but MD2020 and SD said paycheck so I did bi-weekly.

Well I hate math, so I would do it the easy way rather than dividing by 26, calculating 11.5%, and then multiplying it back by 26 to get the annual figure. I don't like extra steps lol. 

31 Thoughts, #5 - Ottawa's trying to emulate us - we've arrived! 😁 

The Senators are completely different, almost unrecognizable in the offensive zone. They aren’t afraid to play three below the face-off dots, and it’s noticeable how players are covering for each other when a fourth comes down to make a play.

“We knew in the past our left defenceman was coming up — now everyone reads the third forward or both ‘D,’” one player said.

Added another: “It reminds me of what New Jersey did last season. As long as we’re willing to get back, this can work.”

Coach Guy Boucher said it wasn’t quite correct to call it a copy of the Devils.

“You design a system to fit your players. Our guys are fast enough to play this way.”

They definitely caught people by surprise.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-auston-matthews-patrick-kane-william-nylander/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Nice (but long) article on Pat Maroon & why he chose StL:  http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24931004/nhl-patrick-maroon-decision-sign-st-louis-blues-betting-familial-ties

SNIPPET:  Maroon ended up switching agents. Maroon's new agent drummed up more interest, especially from the Devils. In his short stint in New Jersey, Maroon fell for Ray Shero, a GM he says "was like a father to me." Shero also embraced Maroon's family. (After Maroon's back surgery, Shero sent Vangel [his fiancee] a long text message followed by a meme. For an hour, Maroon's fiancée and the GM texted memes back and forth to each other.) Meanwhile Maroon took another meeting with Armstrong and considered what it might be like to play at home.

"New Jersey offered me more money," Maroon says. "I love Ray Shero. I hope one day I can work for him. He's one of the best men in hockey. So all of that considered, it would take a lot for me not to go there."

Right now I’m working on securing a temporary squadron switch to keep me home for the next 2 years and not have to go overseas as my two grow. I get what Maroon went through with his decision to stay home with his kid, even if it’s only one 😝