2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

12 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Nice (but long) article on Pat Maroon & why he chose StL:  http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24931004/nhl-patrick-maroon-decision-sign-st-louis-blues-betting-familial-ties

SNIPPET:  Maroon ended up switching agents. Maroon's new agent drummed up more interest, especially from the Devils. In his short stint in New Jersey, Maroon fell for Ray Shero, a GM he says "was like a father to me." Shero also embraced Maroon's family. (After Maroon's back surgery, Shero sent Vangel [his fiancee] a long text message followed by a meme. For an hour, Maroon's fiancée and the GM texted memes back and forth to each other.) Meanwhile Maroon took another meeting with Armstrong and considered what it might be like to play at home.

"New Jersey offered me more money," Maroon says. "I love Ray Shero. I hope one day I can work for him. He's one of the best men in hockey. So all of that considered, it would take a lot for me not to go there."

Sounds like the Devils could make a run at him during the 2019 offseason, if he makes it to UFA.  Can't imagine what it's like to not be able to spend a lot of time with your kid though...sound like the Blues are just perfect for him in that regard.  On the rare occasions I've been away from my daughter for more than a few days, it really feels like I'm not whole somehow.  I've always felt lucky that I've been able to be around at home as much as I have...that my job doesn't require me to constantly work super-late or force me to take a lot of business trips.   

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sounds like the Devils could make a run at him during the 2019 offseason, if he makes it to UFA.  Can't imagine what it's like to not be able to spend a lot of time with your kid though...sound like the Blues are just perfect for him in that regard.  On the rare occasions I've been away from my daughter for more than a few days, it really feels like I'm not whole somehow.  I've always felt lucky that I've been able to be around at home as much as I have...that my job doesn't require me to constantly work super-late or force me to take a lot of business trips.   

I think he’s just saying all the right things. I don’t believe he has any intention of playing anywhere other than where his son is.  It was that important for him to be around him this season, but next season, he won’t care? Doesn’t sound right to me. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think he’s just saying all the right things. I don’t believe he has any intention of playing anywhere other than where his son is.  It was that important for him to be around him this season, but next season, he won’t care? Doesn’t sound right to me. 

It's more if he ever made it to UFA...mostly by virtue of the Blues deciding that they either don't want him, or want him at a price so low that Pat simply can't turn away a considerably better contract elsewhere.  And I think even in the latter case, Maroon still might be willing to take a lot less money to stay in St. Louis, as long as he gets a multi-year deal. 

7 hours ago, jagknife said:

Right now I’m working on securing a temporary squadron switch to keep me home for the next 2 years and not have to go overseas as my two grow. I get what Maroon went through with his decision to stay home with his kid, even if it’s only one 😝

Can I join the squad? I want to travel.

11 hours ago, devlman said:

In what is completely shocking news, our good friend Nolan Patrick is hurt again.

Feel bad for the kid, he's so young. But man, did we dodge a bullet. Even if Nolan Patrick were guaranteed to be perennially healthy, every game I watch or interview I hear, I wonder what we did to deserve Nico Hischier, he is such a positive addition to this team and future star. At his age, he carries himself with a quiet maturity and seems to be a real class act.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, devlman said:

In what is completely shocking news, our good friend Nolan Patrick is hurt again.

Hard to say if it's that big of a deal yet...doesn't sound like anything uber-serious, based on the only info I could find on it (doesn't say that he'll out for an extended period of time):

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/flyers-nolan-patrick-wont-return-wednesday/

FWIW (not much), he was off to a slow start through four games.  But hard to make anything out of just four games. 

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Makes me wonder about the things Elias could have accomplished if he had just stayed healthy and had an identical twin.

I never really thought of Elias being a guy who missed a lot of games due to injury...he did play 1240 regular season games in his career (95th all-time).  But yeah, the Sedins didn't miss many games for sure...Daniel missed just 54 regular season games in 17 seasons, and Henrik missed just 30 in his 17 seasons.  (From 1998-99 through his final season, Elias missed 212 games, though 96 of those came in his final three seasons).  

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I never really thought of Elias being a guy who missed a lot of games due to injury...he did play 1240 regular season games in his career (95th all-time).  But yeah, the Sedins didn't miss many games for sure...Daniel missed just 54 regular season games in 17 seasons, and Henrik missed just 30 in his 17 seasons.  (From 1998-99 through his final season, Elias missed 212 games, though 96 of those came in his final three seasons).  

That's really crazy, actually. Good for them, I wonder if it was training, luck, or a combination of both. 

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Between the lockouts and his Hep C illness he could have done so much more. I thought he missed more actually. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's really crazy, actually. Good for them, I wonder if it was training, luck, or a combination of both. 

I think a big chunk of it is pure luck...some guys work so hard to stay in shape and are just flat-out brittle or simply that cursed.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Between the lockouts and his Hep C illness he could have done so much more. I thought he missed more actually. 

Yeah his battle with Hep C was a real shame...when you read the horror stories you realize how much worse it could have been.

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think a big chunk of it is pure luck...some guys work so hard to stay in shape and are just flat-out brittle or simply that cursed.

Yeah his battle with Hep C was a real shame...when you read the horror stories you realize how much worse it could have been.

Patty got VERY lucky.  My dad had Hep C.  Had to have a kidney transplant and a liver transplant.  Died on the operating table 2 times from massive internal bleeding from the organs rejecting, once he was dead for over a minute and 40 seconds. Doc just said "hell, why not" and de-fribed him one more time and he pulled through. Once he recovered, they gave him 14 more years to live; he made it to 15.  Passed in 2012 just a few months after getting to see the Devils make the finals again. Hep C is no joke.

6 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Feel bad for the kid, he's so young. But man, did we dodge a bullet. Even if Nolan Patrick were guaranteed to be perennially healthy, every game I watch or interview I hear, I wonder what we did to deserve Nico Hischier, he is such a positive addition to this team and future star. At his age, he carries himself with a quiet maturity and seems to be a real class act.

Sucked for 5 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

Palms is en fuego!

Not as much as Auston Matthews and JT to start the season.  8 and 6 goals respectively to start the year.  It looks like at least 2 elite centers is the norm now plus another elite wing or two is a must if you're going to compete with Toronto.  I can't believe I'm typing that. 

Hopefully Palms keeps it up!

Edited by RizzMB30
Typing*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1