2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

7 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Not as much as Auston Matthews and JT to start the season.  8 and 6 goals respectively to start the year.  It looks like at least 2 elite centers is the norm now plus another elite wing or two is a must if you're going to compete with Toronto.  I can't believe I'm typing that. 

Hopefully Palms keeps it up!

Are they the team to beat in the East?  Early returns seem to indicate that.  And TBL had a bad home loss to a so-so VAN team last night....

Edited by aclc79

Sterio mentioned this in the GDT and I expanded on it, but man is this cheesy as hell:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/ct-spt-blackhawks-predators-banners-20181010-story.html

The Central Division Banner I get.  Nothing wrong there.

President's Trophy?  Very meh, and I would NEVER want the Devils to put up a PT Banner...but that doesn't make me quite as ill as:

REGULAR SEASON  Western Conference Champs

Yes, the Preds actually made the "regular season" lettering noticeably smaller...almost like the designers are hoping those who dare to glance rafter-ward will somehow overlook them.  I would've DESTROYED the Devils if they had done this in 1997-98 and 1998-99.  Regular Season Western Conference Champs?!  When was THAT ever a thing?!  Wow that's pathetic and lame.  Yikes.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sterio mentioned this in the GDT and I expanded on it, but man is this cheesy as hell:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/ct-spt-blackhawks-predators-banners-20181010-story.html

The Central Division Banner I get.  Nothing wrong there.

President's Trophy?  Very meh, and I would NEVER want the Devils to put up a PT Banner...but that doesn't make me quite as ill as:

REGULAR SEASON  Western Conference Champs

Yes, the Preds actually made the "regular season" lettering noticeably smaller...almost like the designers are hoping those who dare to glance rafter-ward will somehow overlook them.  I would've DESTROYED the Devils if they had done this in 1997-98 and 1998-99.  Regular Season Western Conference Champs?!  When was THAT ever a thing?!  Wow that's pathetic and lame.  Yikes.

I feel like some dude in a suit came in like

"why aren't there banners up there? I was at another arena and they had banners."

"oh, we haven't won anything yet really."

"I want banners, make it happen"

"But..."

"BANNERS! MAKE IT HAPPEN"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not giving in to sh!t. The leaf can piss off... unless they want to trade us Nylander on the cheap since he isn't going to take less than he deserves to wear a stupid blue leaf on his jersey. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We know how this ends. Tavares will hit like a 3-game pointless streak, certain headlines will be written, the city will have a meltdown, he'll choose to shoot instead of pass on a 2-on-1 in OT, but miss, and they'll call him a selfish player, it'll somehow stick, etc., etc....

It's Toronto, their hyperbole game is sooooooo strong and self-destructive, I can't take their media seriously. I learned that the first time I visited there and their prime time Sports Centre was breaking down Leafs PRACTICE FOOTAGE and talking about Phaneuf's "body language" in practice, it was so pathetic watching how toxic their media is, like someone with severe bipolar disorder: irrational highs and unfair lows.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 2

Just now, SterioDesign said:

i mean they played 5 games, some teams played 2 haha 

You'll always get goofy short-sample stuff like this in any given season.  John MacLean once scored 18 goals in 12 games.  As quickly as writers and some others will make a big deal of the Leafs' offensive outburst now, they'll quickly forget it when everything levels out.  If the Leafs average much more than 3.5 GPG or so for the season, I'll be stunned. 

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You'll always get goofy short-sample stuff like this in any given season.  John MacLean once scored 18 goals in 12 games.  As quickly as writers and some others will make a big deal of the Leafs' offensive outburst now, they'll quickly forget it when everything levels out.  If the Leafs average much more than 3.5 GPG or so for the season, I'll be stunned. 

Palmieri is currently projected to score 164 goals, 21 more than Matthews

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Palmieri is currently projected to score 164 goals, 21 more than Matthews

It's kind of funny that they mention Marleau as having scored nine goals in his first five games one year...he did that during the 2013 season.  He scored just 8 goals the rest of the way, in 43 GP.

One pretty amazing stat about Marleau, regardless of what some might think about him (he's a bit of a compiler, but that's due to freakish durability, as you'll soon see); if he doesn't miss a game this season, he'll have gone his entire 30s WITHOUT HAVING MISSED A SINGLE REGULAR SEASON GAME.  To date, he's played in 709 out of a possible 709 regular season games since turning 30.  And though his offensive numbers have declined a bit since the end of the 2013-14 season, they're still not bad...about 25 G and 25 A per 82 GP over the last four seasons, entering this one.  Assuming he manages to play in every game yet again in 2018-19, he'll be fifth on the NHL all-time games-played by season's end (he's currently 11th, but will move past Ray Bourque, Larry Murphy, Scott Stevens, Dave Andreychuk, Chris Chelios, and Mark Recchi).  And he'll be just 110 GP behind all-time leader Gordie Howe. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

Not a single game on a Friday night. Well done NHL schedule planners, well done!

Yeah I typically scroll through the schedule a few days in advance to see if there's any games I might want to catch coming up, particularly on the weekends if I'm either at the bar or in general can just stay up later to watch since I don't have to get up early the next day, and when I saw there were literally zero games on this night I was pretty stunned.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  Brand new season, a week in, and they don't have even one game on.  Pretty embarrassing and a glaring oversight if you ask me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I typically scroll through the schedule a few days in advance to see if there's any games I might want to catch coming up, particularly on the weekends if I'm either at the bar or in general can just stay up later to watch since I don't have to get up early the next day, and when I saw there were literally zero games on this night I was pretty stunned.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  Brand new season, a week in, and they don't have even one game on.  Pretty embarrassing and a glaring oversight if you ask me.

Even if that dogsh!t other league that starts around now and ends after we do, started tonight, we should have had an NBC garbage game of Florida vs Arizona to reel all those other viewers in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is pretty lame as far as the subject, good article and video on TSN though:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-on-watson-appeal-we-are-disappointed-1.1190739

His suspension should have been reduced more, as there was very little physical contact involved.  I know recent events suggest I’m crazy, but I believe you should, y’know, look at what someone actually did in meting out punishment. 

The league is obviously trying to set the table for a de facto life time ban for Voynov, which would not be unjustified. It just made a mistake in trying to make an example of someone who shouldn’t have been made an example of.

Edited by Daniel

8 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I guess we will just watch some movies....

The Islanders have signed Stephen Gionta, yet again - 1 year, 2-way. 

@AGrossNewsday  #Isles Lou Lamoriello on Stephen Gionta, signed off a PTO today: "He wasn’t in our plans at all this year and asked to come to camp and certainly just stuck with it the whole time...He’ll go to Bridgeport and certainly will teach young players how to be pros."