2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

On 10/13/2018 at 1:14 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

The Islanders have signed Stephen Gionta, yet again - 1 year, 2-way. 

@AGrossNewsday  #Isles Lou Lamoriello on Stephen Gionta, signed off a PTO today: "He wasn’t in our plans at all this year and asked to come to camp and certainly just stuck with it the whole time...He’ll go to Bridgeport and certainly will teach young players how to be pros." 

Uncle Lou sure likes things familiar to him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Uncle Lou sure likes things familiar to him.

In fairness to Lou, if his plan is to have a hard worker like Gionta be a good influence and help to show some kids what it takes to make it to the NHL someday, I can't kill him for that.  At least it doesn't sound like the plan for him is to get much time with the big club (unless a lot of guys go down with injuries, anyway). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I feel bad for Edmonton, two and a half weeks into the season and they still haven't had their home opener.   I also don't get the scheduling for Tampa.  Us and Edmonton have only played 3 games, which is understandable because we are the two that went overseas to Sweden, but Tampa has only played 3 games as well, and they also haven't been on the road yet either.  Just doesn't make much sense.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

President's Trophy?  Very meh, and I would NEVER want the Devils to put up a PT Banner...but that doesn't make me quite as ill as

I wouldn't mind a presidents trophy banner, it's still a tough accomplishment. I just don't want a ceremony for it like Nashville did. Just have it hung up already and throw a spotlight on it for 10 seconds like we always did for our banners that weren't Stanley Cup banners. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wouldn't mind a presidents trophy banner, it's still a tough accomplishment. I just don't want a ceremony for it like Nashville did. Just have it hung up already and throw a spotlight on it for 10 seconds like we always did for our banners that weren't Stanley Cup banners. 

It is probably different for teams that haven't won much of anything yet. I can understand them wanting to get a little morale boost from their achievement and give their fans something to cheer about.

• Like 1

The President's trophy is the one team accomplishment this franchise has yet to capture.  We have come close at 2-3 times where we were runners-up, but it has eluded us.  I wouldn't mind a banner for it, but I agree with SH that it shouldn't be more than a quick acknowledgement of it for 10-30 seconds and then getting on with it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Good, it was a cheap shot. I've liked what I've seen from Pettersson so far. 

The hit itself was fine, it was the ‘fvck you’ toss to the ice at the end that’s the issue. To be honest, if Pettersson didn’t end up with a concussion, no one would’ve even given it a second thought. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The hit itself was fine, it was the ‘fvck you’ toss to the ice at the end that’s the issue. To be honest, if Pettersson didn’t end up with a concussion, no one would’ve even given it a second thought. 

Yeah the choke slam type move was the cheap shot I was talking about. Just no reason for that. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

32 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah the choke slam type move was the cheap shot I was talking about. Just no reason for that. 

Agreed. They got it exactly right. I think the stick between the legs might have been worthy of a penalty, he kind of used that as leverage to pin him and I think that was worth two minutes for interference, since the puck was gone. 

But you can’t defend the body slam. 

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dude may have the most punchable face in the league that doesn’t belong to Brad Marchand. 

I only Googled him to double check this, and he's already agreed to give me his lunch money every day for the whole school year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dude without question has the most punchable face in the league that doesn’t belong to Brad Marchand. 

Fixed for accuracy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1