2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

On 10/12/2018 at 11:31 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sterio mentioned this in the GDT and I expanded on it, but man is this cheesy as hell:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/ct-spt-blackhawks-predators-banners-20181010-story.html

The Central Division Banner I get.  Nothing wrong there.

President's Trophy?  Very meh, and I would NEVER want the Devils to put up a PT Banner...but that doesn't make me quite as ill as:

REGULAR SEASON  Western Conference Champs

Yes, the Preds actually made the "regular season" lettering noticeably smaller...almost like the designers are hoping those who dare to glance rafter-ward will somehow overlook them.  I would've DESTROYED the Devils if they had done this in 1997-98 and 1998-99.  Regular Season Western Conference Champs?!  When was THAT ever a thing?!  Wow that's pathetic and lame.  Yikes.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning here cause a President trophy (finishing with the most point in the league) is a way bigger accomplishment and impressive than a simple division title (finishing best out of 8 teams)... Like I said in the other discussion... if you win the president trophy... it's kind of a given that you won your division and conference. So not sure what's mehh about it? haha

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning here cause a President trophy (finishing with the most point in the league) is a way bigger accomplishment and impressive than a simple division title (finishing best out of 8 teams)... Like I said in the other discussion... if you win the president trophy... it's kind of a given that you won your division and conference. So not sure what's mehh about it? haha

Wasn't planning on going too too deep on this one, but I'll explain:

I don't mind Division Title banners because to me, they're "acceptable" regular season accomplishments, and worth noting...also, a division banner on its own doesn't imply any disappointment if that year's team didn't do much come playoff time...sure, with the current structure, one Division Title winner will have both its Conference's and the NHL's regular season best record, and a second Division Title winner will also own its respective Conference's best record, but unless there's other banners to signify other regular season "accomplishments", then such info isn't readily acquired from the Division Banners alone...as an example, the 1996-97, 1997-98, and 1998-99 Devils all won the Atlantic, and owned the Eastern Conference's best record each time...but because the Devils never made the mistake of putting up "Regular Season Eastern Conference Champs" banners for each of those years, we're not reminded that each of those seasons ended in big-time disappointment come playoff time...the achievement of having won the Atlantic each year is allowed to stand on its own.  I consider Division Title banners the lone regular season banner that makes sense (and as we've seen, everyone for years in the NHL has not had a problem putting up Division Title Banners).

Upon further reflection, I'm on the fence re:  Presidents Trophy banners, but still leaning towards not putting one up...on one hand, there is a league prize for having the league's best regular season record, so it's not like acknowledging some "phantom" accomplishment...it just kind of sucks, because if you don't win the Cup, that banner kind of screams "Well so what, you had the NHL's best record in the regular season, but what exactly did it get you when the stakes were raised?"  It's almost a way of showing how that team ultimately disappointed and never got it done...even more so if you don't even reach the SCF (at least at that point you can put up a legit Conference Champion banner if you do make it to the SCF). 

So even if I'm on the fence about a Presidents Trophy banner, the one banner I absolutely can't get behind is a "Regular Season Conference Champs".  No one celebrates that.  Great, you ended the season with your conference's top record...and?  At least the NHL itself honors the LEAGUE'S best record.  And in Nashville's case, it's especially repetitive because they're already put up a President's Trophy banner...fine year for them overall, but THREE banners (with one of them being a REAL stretch) to celebrate it is way overkill. 

So to sum up:

Division Banner:  OK, and that's been common practice throughout the NHL for years

President's Trophy:  Not my thing, still find it kinda meh (especially since the Preds didn't win a Cup or even their Conference come playoff time), but I can at least understand an argument being made for one.

Regular Season Conference Champs:  Lame, no one gives a fvck, feels like a cheap excuse to fill rafter space, save Conference Champ banners for Playoff Conference Champs. 

Sens were off to a respectable start too...3-2-1 through six games.  Just when their fans might have been thinking "Well maybe this season won't be so bad after all..."

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sens were off to a respectable start too...3-2-1 through six games.  Just when their fans might have been thinking "Well maybe this season won't be so bad after all..."

I mean I'm rooting for them just for their sanity.

Can you imagine winning the draft lottery while another team owns your pick?  I mean that's devastating stuff.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wasn't planning on going too too deep on this one, but I'll explain:

I don't mind Division Title banners because to me, they're "acceptable" regular season accomplishments, and worth noting...also, a division banner on its own doesn't imply any disappointment if that year's team didn't do much come playoff time...sure, with the current structure, one Division Title winner will have both its Conference's and the NHL's regular season best record, and a second Division Title winner will also own its respective Conference's best record, but unless there's other banners to signify other regular season "accomplishments", then such info isn't readily acquired from the Division Banners alone...as an example, the 1996-97, 1997-98, and 1998-99 Devils all won the Atlantic, and owned the Eastern Conference's best record each time...but because the Devils never made the mistake of putting up "Regular Season Eastern Conference Champs" banners for each of those years, we're not reminded that each of those seasons ended in big-time disappointment come playoff time...the achievement of having won the Atlantic each year is allowed to stand on its own.  I consider Division Title banners the lone regular season banner that makes sense (and as we've seen, everyone for years in the NHL has not had a problem putting up Division Title Banners).

Upon further reflection, I'm on the fence re:  Presidents Trophy banners, but still leaning towards not putting one up...on one hand, there is a league prize for having the league's best regular season record, so it's not like acknowledging some "phantom" accomplishment...it just kind of sucks, because if you don't win the Cup, that banner kind of screams "Well so what, you had the NHL's best record in the regular season, but what exactly did it get you when the stakes were raised?"  It's almost a way of showing how that team ultimately disappointed and never got it done...even more so if you don't even reach the SCF (at least at that point you can put up a legit Conference Champion banner if you do make it to the SCF). 

So even if I'm on the fence about a Presidents Trophy banner, the one banner I absolutely can't get behind is a "Regular Season Conference Champs".  No one celebrates that.  Great, you ended the season with your conference's top record...and?  At least the NHL itself honors the LEAGUE'S best record.  And in Nashville's case, it's especially repetitive because they're already put up a President's Trophy banner...fine year for them overall, but THREE banners (with one of them being a REAL stretch) to celebrate it is way overkill. 

So to sum up:

Division Banner:  OK, and that's been common practice throughout the NHL for years

President's Trophy:  Not my thing, still find it kinda meh (especially since the Preds didn't win a Cup or even their Conference come playoff time), but I can at least understand an argument being made for one.

Regular Season Conference Champs:  Lame, no one gives a fvck, feels like a cheap excuse to fill rafter space, save Conference Champ banners for Playoff Conference Champs. 

I kind of get what you're saying but at the same time, I don't... Cause an accomplishment remains an accomplishment no matter what it is, if some people have higher expectations because of that... that's something else... if feel that logic is like saying... "Well should Hall really have the Hart Trophy since he didn't win the Conn Smyth?"

And for the record i'm bored and just having a discussion here. Not arguing or trying to force feed my opinion down your throat. 

Also when it comes to comparing those accomplishments, you can almost easily win your division if most of the teams suck. Conference or PT well you REALLY have to do something impressive to get that. And there's trophies for each of those for a reason i feel and there's none for division titles. So since you usually give the trophy to whoever wins the next year... it makes more sense to capture those accomplishments with a banner no?

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If you can’t have a banner for having the best regular season record, then you should only have them for the Stanley Cup. 

Do teams usually put up PT banners?  I honestly don't know if they all do, or if some do and some don't. 

The only banner I really have an issue with is at this point is the Regular Season Conference Champ, but if others don't, that's fine.  I think the Devils have gotten it right...no Reg Season Conference Champ banners here. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Do teams usually put up PT banners?  I honestly don't know if they all do, or if some do and some don't. 

The only banner I really have an issue with is at this point is the Regular Season Conference Champ, but if others don't, that's fine.  I think the Devils have gotten it right...no Reg Season Conference Champ banners here. 

I don't know. But it is clearly better than Regular Season Conference Champs. 

To me, even Playoffs Conference Champs banners are kind of like "remember, that time we ALMOST won the Stanley Cup?". 

Of course, we have a ton of those banners hanging up, which I guess is fine. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't know. But it is clearly better than Regular Season Conference Champs. 

To me, even Playoffs Conference Champs banners are kind of like "remember, that time we ALMOST won the Stanley Cup?". 

Of course, we have a ton of those banners hanging up, which I guess is fine. 

At least with the bolded, you still won something...trophy is presented right after the deciding game of the Conference Finals, etc.  You were definitively one of the last two teams standing. 

The last five President's Trophy winners have won just six playoffs series combined.  As least there's a legit trophy that goes with it, so sure, if a team wants to throw a banner up there to commemorate it, I get it.  Still has to look a little weird to see one of those (obviously with a division banner nearby) in the rafters, and nothing else (though to be fair, if you lose in the Conference Finals in seven, as far as extra banners go, you might as well have gotten swept in the first round). 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

They should give each of us that sat through 2012-2016 a banner. 

I've said it before, but I realize now how much I was watching the games during those years, but not really watching.  Those teams were just so painful to take in...like dilapidated jalopies forever trying to race Camaros and Porsches.  Sure, I'd have the games on, but I'd be futzing around on my computer, doing something else with the game on as more background, etc.  Some of the flat-out ugliest hockey I've ever seen. 

I am friggin' GLUED now, both in person and watching on TV.  Wasn't so long ago that my poor daughter couldn't even see the Devils score a damned goal whenever I took her to a game...hell, the Devils often seemed lucky to pop in 7 goals TOTAL for any given four games...Palms has done that all on his own.  And man is it fun to feel that fully dialed-in excitement about watching a Devils game again...I sorely missed that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm about 75% sure the Sabres did raised a PT banner to kick off a year of giving themselves good ol HJs for making the conference finals back to back seasons.

I'm with you on the "regular season conference champions" banner, its freaking dumb.