2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, bobilly45 said:

I'd be shocked if the rangers traded him... they missed their chance to when he was still very good.  I would love for them to keep their losing pace and not win the #1 draft pick.  I live in NY and every ranger fan I know is already banking winning the #1 pick. 

His value is definitely nowhere near what it might have been in his prime...but if the Rangers are really about to embrace a proper rebuild (seems like they've been forced into one, more than anything else), then Lundqvist really serves no purpose for them...especially if the Rangers are trying to get Shestyorkin in there (he's currently in the KHL and has played well there the past two seasons, though at nowhere near the kind of workload a #1 NHL goalie would get).  Sometime this season is probably too early for Lundqvist to be moved...taking on his cap hit for all of 2019-20 and 2020-21 is more than most teams would want to stomach, even if the Rangers take on a good chunk of the money and aren't looking to get much back...also have to get Lundqvist to waive his NMC, and as we've seen, players aren't always as willing to do so as you'd think.

I'd love to see the Rangers be stuck with a vastly overpaid and completely washed-up version of him myself...it would be nice to see the Rangers not somehow wheedle their way out of one of their bad contracts for once. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

His value is definitely nowhere near what it might have been in his prime...but if the Rangers are really about to embrace a proper rebuild (seems like they've been forced into one, more than anything else), then Lundqvist really serves no purpose for them...especially if the Rangers are trying to get Shestyorkin in there (he's currently in the KHL and has played well there the past two seasons, though at nowhere near the kind of workload a #1 NHL goalie would get).  Sometime this season is probably too early for Lundqvist to be moved...taking on his cap hit for all of 2019-20 and 2020-21 is more than most teams would want to stomach, even if the Rangers take on a good chunk of the money and aren't looking to get much back...also have to get Lundqvist to waive his NMC, and as we've seen, players aren't always as willing to do so as you'd think.

I'd love to see the Rangers be stuck with a vastly overpaid and completely washed-up version of him myself...it would be nice to see the Rangers not somehow wheedle their way out of one of their bad contracts for once. 

It always pisses me off how they make those mistakes and then somehow manage to get out of it so they can sign the next big FA. I'd be surprised if Hank gets moved and I'm pretty sure he wants to stay in NY so the org might just do him that solid and not make him go somewhere else. As for Shattenkirk, his value is at an all time low. I'd be surprised if NY would get the return they'd be looking for with him and his contract is awful for what he is producing. Someone would need to take a huge leap of faith there.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

It always pisses me off how they make those mistakes and then somehow manage to get out of it so they can sign the next big FA. I'd be surprised if Hank gets moved and I'm pretty sure he wants to stay in NY so the org might just do him that solid and not make him go somewhere else. As for Shattenkirk, his value is at an all time low. I'd be surprised if NY would get the return they'd be looking for with him and his contract is awful for what he is producing. Someone would need to take a huge leap of faith there.

With Shattenkirk, it'd be much more about getting out of his deal, than getting a great return (especially if the Rangers were somehow able or willing to move him this season, which seems highly unlikely).  The one thing that could be appealing about him is his salary in his final season (it's much less than his actual cap hit..."only" $4 million).  If he's playing better in 2019-20 and the Rangers are still clearly not looking like contenders anytime soon, then maybe that would be the time when they could expect to get something decent back.  Big if though. 

And like I said in my initial post, all of this gets more interesting if a team with eyes on the big prize suddenly suffers a slew of injuries to their D-corp, and doesn't have much in the system, to attempt to fortify from within.  How desperate do they get?  Would they actually be willing to take on a bad cap hit for a season or two, if they don't have to sacrifice much else?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Matthews out at least four weeks with a shoulder injury: https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1631236

I hate seeing superstars go down even though I want to see Toronto crash and burn. A ton of people I know that don't watch hockey still know who Matthews/McDavid are. It is bad for the league when these guys aren't playing. I hope Matthews doesn't end up with one of those "what if" careers because he is injured so much. Not to mention, he's American and I'd like to see him do well(not against NJ).

Idk if the rumors about Carolina being in on Nylander are true, but that would totally piss me off if they landed him. They have gone from nothing to something down there in a really short amount of time and I still hate those a$$holes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I hate seeing superstars go down even though I want to see Toronto crash and burn. A ton of people I know that don't watch hockey still know who Matthews/McDavid are. It is bad for the league when these guys aren't playing. I hope Matthews doesn't end up with one of those "what if" careers because he is injured so much. Not to mention, he's American and I'd like to see him do well(not against NJ).

Idk if the rumors about Carolina being in on Nylander are true, but that would totally piss me off if they landed him. They have gone from nothing to something down there in a really short amount of time and I still hate those a$$holes. 

Meh, they got off to a fast start (4-0-1 with a lot of goals scored), but they've cooled off...only 10 goals scored in their last 6 games (not including a phantom SO goal and an empty-netter).  They've lost four of six too.  Not sure how seriously I'd take them just yet.

But yeah, it's funny, my daughter asked me who the Devils' main rivals are.  I told her the Rangers and the Flyers came to mind first...and then the Hurricanes.  I actually hate Flyer FANS more than the Flyers team...Ranger fans will always be stupid and lack any sort of creative wit, but Flyer fans think they have the right to carry the "Broad Street Bully" mentality with them wherever they go...one of the most violent fanbases that I've ever seen (they think they have to right to sucker-punch anyone wearing another team's jersey, even if unprovoked), and it's just fvcking WRONG. 

My hatred of the Hurricanes goes back to their lone Cup win...it was bad enough that their team could only win in that kooky 2005-06 season, when legal body checks were being called penalties...but their seemingly inbred fanbase thought that anytime anyone dared to skate near any one of their players, it should be a penalty.  Both the team and fans just came off as so unlikable and whiny...especially Eric "Batboy" Staal...I know he's had a nice career revival in Minnesota, but I just don't like that guy.  And of course, it hasn't helped that the 'Canes have had the Devils' number in the playoffs (hard to believe that the Game 7 disaster that I unfortunately went to is almost TEN FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO).  But man is it great that they haven't been back to the playoffs since.  Nine seasons and counting. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Bratt/Mojo/Nylander

We can call it "The Swiss Connection" line. It's just too perfect. WTFFFFF.

I figure that the Leafs would want one of either Bratt or Severson; they need a player that will be getting paid less than $5 million AAV for the foreseeable future.  At this point, I would balk on dealing Severson except for an upgrade on defense.  If Bratt were the main piece for Nylander, I would do that in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I figure that the Leafs would want one of either Bratt or Severson; they need a player that will be getting paid less than $5 million AAV for the foreseeable future.  At this point, I would balk on dealing Severson except for an upgrade on defense.  If Bratt were the main piece for Nylander, I would do that in a heartbeat.

I think you gotta hang onto Severson mostly because he's cost-controlled and the Devils don't have many defensemen signed past next season (and Vatanen will be getting a raise for 2020-21 and beyond if he stays...I'm guessing Greene will be done...Lovejoy maybe comes back on a one-year deal, but I don't think that's Plan A).  Butcher and Mueller go RFA after this season.  Santini's on a cheap deal (signed through 2020-21), but his future is hard to predict at this point.  Kinda nice to have one guy wrapped up for a while, even if he's still a work in progress. 

Devils have a number of raises to dole lot sooner than later...they can save some $$$ if they don't re-sign MoJo (he still has time to get it going here, but it's looking more and more like his 2016-17 season was a career year...if that's the case, I'd probably just let him walk).  So you could probably fit in Nylander's money on a long-term deal, as long as it's not crazy money.  Guess it really depends how high the Devils are on Bratt...safe to say that they think a LOT of him. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think you gotta hang onto Severson mostly because he's cost-controlled and the Devils don't have many defensemen signed past next season (and Vatanen will be getting a raise for 2020-21 and beyond if he stays...I'm guessing Greene will be done...Lovejoy maybe comes back on a one-year deal, but I don't think that's Plan A).  Butcher and Mueller go RFA after this season.  Santini's on a cheap deal (signed through 2020-21), but his future is hard to predict at this point.  Kinda nice to have one guy wrapped up for a while, even if he's still a work in progress. 

Devils have a number of raises to dole lot sooner than later...they can save some $$$ if they don't re-sign MoJo (he still has time to get it going here, but it's looking more and more like his 2016-17 season was a career year...if that's the case, I'd probably just let him walk).  So you could probably fit in Nylander's money on a long-term deal, as long as it's not crazy money.  Guess it really depends how high the Devils are on Bratt...safe to say that they think a LOT of him. 

The Devils would have no problem giving Nylander a deal above what he is supposedly looking for from Toronto even if they're looking to extend everyone on the roster that wouldn't be included in the deal.  Like 7 or 8 years at $7.5 AAV. 

I only have a problem dealing Severson at this point, one because it looks like he's breaking out and two the defense could end up really thin without him. 

Nylander is a pipe dream. We aren’t getting him. He’ll end up re-signing in Toronto, or he’ll be traded to a team we can’t stand like Carolina, or just shipped out west to some irrelevant sh!tbag team like Arizona. Or he’ll end up in San Jose because they trade for everyone, without ever seemingly giving up anyone good in return. You all know this. 

Edited by MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nylander is a pipe dream. We aren’t getting him. He’ll end up re-signing in Toronto, or he’ll be traded to a team we can’t stand like Carolina, or just shipped out west to some irrelevant sh!tbag team like Arizona. Or he’ll end up in San Jose because they trade for everyone, without ever seemingly giving up anyone good in return. You all know this. 

I think it's more than a pipe dream.  I just don't see how Toronto can afford him capwise when they need to sign Matthews and Marner next year.   The price for Matthews goes up even further if Toronto does poorly without him.  And even so, there is an appreciable chance he gets an offer sheet or there's certainly enough of a chance that Toronto can't mess around there.  Then you add the fact that Kapanen might require a bigger raise than anticipated and they're really thin at defense.

It might not be us, but again, it's negligent not to inquire.

35 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think it's more than a pipe dream.  I just don't see how Toronto can afford him capwise when they need to sign Matthews and Marner next year.   The price for Matthews goes up even further if Toronto does poorly without him.  And even so, there is an appreciable chance he gets an offer sheet or there's certainly enough of a chance that Toronto can't mess around there.  Then you add the fact that Kapanen might require a bigger raise than anticipated and they're really thin at defense.

It might not be us, but again, it's negligent not to inquire.

For us, it’s a pipe dream. We may inquire, but the price will probably too rich for our blood. Like I said, he’ll end up out west or with a team we despise. That’s how these things usually go. Don’t get your hopes up.

Edited by MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

This attitude is so weird. Trading for a good player isn't a pipe dream for Devils fans, and it shouldn't be a pipe dream for Devils fans. See: Hall, Taylor. Kovalchuk, Ilya. Palmieri, Kyle. 

Trading for good players isn’t a pipe dream for Devils fans, trading for THIS good player is however, because it’s going to cost a sh!tload. Those three guys, comparitvely, did not cost a sh!tload. But whatever, I’m not looking to argue. I’m just telling you guys to not get your hopes up, because I know that as soon as Nylander gets moved to a team that isn’t the Devils, people will be upset. 

55 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

As part of the relationship, MGM Resorts will receive access to previously unseen enhanced NHL proprietary game data that will be generated by the League’s state of the art tracking systems currently under development. Access to this data will allow MGM Resorts to provide its customers with specialized NHL game insights, as well as unlocking new and innovative interactive fan engagement and betting opportunities for its U.S. customers wherever legally available.

Is this just a euphemistic way of saying "will help casions make more accurate odds"?

Nevertheless, this will be good for the league and the fans (those who don't gamble anyway) in that it should bring in more revenue, which tends to make everyone happy unless one side gets really greedy. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Trading for good players isn’t a pipe dream for Devils fans, trading for THIS good player is however, because it’s going to cost a sh!tload. Those three guys, comparitvely, did not cost a sh!tload. But whatever, I’m not looking to argue. I’m just telling you guys to not get your hopes up, because I know that as soon as Nylander gets moved to a team that isn’t the Devils, people will be upset

I won't be, mostly because I don't really think Shero is looking to take on a potentially big salary when he feels like he's already got young players who will produce (like Bratt).  He's made it clear that he values having room under the cap and flexibility.  And there WILL be guys to pay in the near-seasons to come.  It feels like for now, that Shero's really trying to save those bigger dollars for the guys who are already here. 

Of the three cases KITB pointed out, though none of the three are THAT similar to the Nylander situation, I think the one that this compares best to this one is Kovy.  Palms hadn't really been given a legit shot yet to show what he could do (endless kudos to Shero for making a killer "homework" kind of deal), and Hall was still cost-controlled for four more seasons.  I remember seeing what people thought the Thrashers could get for Ilya, and in the end the Devils had to cough up a good bit less than expected...of course, it helped a lot that Bergfors played just good enough for just long enough to have more value than he ever would've had otherwise.  But the Thrashers were in that not-great position where they had to get what they could...Leafs will be in a similar situation if they can't get Nylander to play.  But yeah, if the price doesn't seem like THAT much and some other team nabs him, I can definitely see some Devils fans getting ticked off. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I won't be, mostly because I don't really think Shero is looking to take on a potentially big salary when he feels like he's already got young players who will produce (like Bratt).  He's made it clear that he values having room under the cap and flexibility.  And there WILL be guys to pay in the near-seasons to come.  It feels like for now, that Shero's really trying to save those bigger dollars for the guys who are already here. 

Of the three cases KITB pointed out, though none of the three are THAT similar to the Nylander situation, I think the one that this compares best to this one is Kovy.  Palms hadn't really been given a legit shot yet to show what he could do (endless kudos to Shero for making a killer "homework" kind of deal), and Hall was still cost-controlled for four more seasons.  I remember seeing what people thought the Thrashers could get for Ilya, and in the end the Devils had to cough up a good bit less than expected...of course, it helped a lot that Bergfors played just good enough for just long enough to have more value than he ever would've had otherwise.  But the Thrashers were in that not-great position where they had to get what they could...Leafs will be in a similar situation if they can't get Nylander to play.  But yeah, if the price doesn't seem like THAT much and some other team nabs him, I can definitely see some Devils fans getting ticked off. 

If the Devils traded for Nylander and extended him at the salary he is likely to get would not really cut into the team's cap flexibility.  That's especially the case if Bratt is the main piece going to Toronto.  He doesn't make anything now, but if he's a good as people hope he is, his next contract is probably in the range of $3/$4 million AAV, which is just the money you're giving to a better player who is taking his place. 

The other silver lining is that Zacha should not be getting a big contract AAV-wise, maybe something similar to what they gave Wood.  Even if he never produces offensively, there's still a role for him on the team.

The Devils just need to avoid giving out a Lucic type deal.  If they can manage that, they have the cap space to bring in at least two very good players that aren't in the organization right now that they don't have to draft.