2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

3 hours ago, Aznjsn said:

I think its awesome that there was no supplemental discipline on this one, and I have no doubt that the fact that Tom Wilson was the victim aided in that decision. The guy is a known delinquent. 

• Like 2

I listen to Pierre McGuire on Ottawa and Montreal radio all the time. He mentioned yesterday that Ray was frustrated because he had a major deal in place that the other GM suddenly backed out of.

He didn't mention Ray by name, but it was obvious what was who he was talking about since he is so close to Ray. I can only hope the deal had something to do with a goaltender.

Trying to pry Ben Bishop out of Dallas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I listen to Pierre McGuire on Ottawa and Montreal radio all the time. He mentioned yesterday that Ray was frustrated because he had a major deal in place that the other GM suddenly backed out of.

He didn't mention Ray by name, but it was obvious what was who he was talking about since he is so close to Ray. I can only hope the deal had something to do with a goaltender.

Bishop's too old.  Same age as Cory.  We need to get someone who's going to be with us for a while.  I'm fine with Blackwood or someone else around his age, who understandably is going to go through probably some growing pains.  But I'd rather have someone young enough that can stick around for a while and we can build upon, rather than revisit this same issue in 4-5 years.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:24 PM, Rob_Ottawa said:

It's completely impossible that he was talking about Ray. 

It's been well-documented according to multiple sources (posters on this board) that Shero has been sitting on his hands doing nothing. 

Not saying it would have happened with us but Dea scored a nice equalizer last night in the Pens OT loss to Ottawa.

Also, Buffalo has dropped 5 straight after their team record 10 game winning streak. It will be interesting to see how they respond. Could be a Philly of last year situation or could be a sign of the actual team.

4 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

All in?

Report: Widespread feeling Matthews could be targeted by offer sheet https://thesco.re/2SEmQgv 

Why not? If you get him awesome, if Toronto matches, they’ll be in cap hell real quick. 

Edited by jagknife

https://www.bardown.com/new-information-on-seattle-s-potential-name-may-eliminate-some-current-favourites-1.1223118

Seattle’s team name is allegedly going to be water related.

Years ago, and I mean like probably two decades ago, I was bored in math class and rather than pay attention to my teacher, I decided to draw waves in a circle for a fictional hockey team called the Seattle Surf. Only came to me a day or two ago. I wonder if that drawing is still in my mom’s attic...

10 hours ago, jagknife said:

Why not? If you get him awesome, if Toronto matches, they’ll be in cap hell real quick. 

Agreed, especially because this would be after we use our own 2019 1st rounder.   The picks they would get would be after we’re hopefully benefitting from adding Matthews.  

That being said, no way Toronto could let him walk.   This would just be a way to f’up their cap for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 5:00 AM, fsu1852 said:

All in?

Report: Widespread feeling Matthews could be targeted by offer sheet https://thesco.re/2SEmQgv 

I'll be very surprised if any GM has the balls to offer sheet Matthews.  

By all means, a team or two SHOULD offer sheet him.  This situation pretty much defines what offer sheets were designed for.. but GMs don't want to risk the status quo.

You could really fvck the Leafs over for a long time with a 12 x 7 offer sheet.  They either lose their star player (and the fans lose their mind) or they face the impossible task of keeping that roster together with a huge cap hit for Matthews.

Maybe a young guy might have the stones.  Chayka with the Yotes might do it, especially since you could spin the whole "bringing Matthews home" narrative.

13 hours ago, Lateralous said:

That being said, no way Toronto could let him walk.   This would just be a way to f’up their cap for the foreseeable future.  

Offer sheet Matthews - Toronto is forced to match.

Offer sheet Marner - Toronto cannot feasibly match.

Profit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Profit.

Are either/both of those guys likely to be over the threshold where it would cost us 4 first round picks? $10,418,302? My assumption is Matthews is. Not sure about Marner. 

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Profit.

I'm not sure Marner does enough to justify losing those picks + overpaying on salary.  Great player but adding another dynamic undersized winger doesn't exactly make us a powerhouse.  Adding Matthews would have a trickle down effect and slots a lot of other guys currently on the team more appropriately.   At that point, I wouldn't worry that any of those 4 1sts we would have to give up would be at the top end of the draft.   

Hall-Matthews-Bratt

Zacha-Hischier-Palmieri _ I still think Zacha is better suited to be a wing.  Based on memory he was more productive there his first two years.  

It will never happen but that's two pretty nasty lines and we would still have presumably a top 10 pick this year to help address the defense.    

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Are either/both of those guys likely to be over the threshold where it would cost us 4 first round picks? $10,418,302? My assumption is Matthews is. Not sure about Marner. 

To entice him to sign in NJ and actually have a chance to pry him free, it would be.   I think the Leafs would match on both and this chain of events would lead to the likes of the Nylanders and Kapanens being traded for guys on ELCs and picks.     

To get them to sign an offer sheet, I think you're looking at 13-14 for Matthews and 11 for Marner.     

Edited by Lateralous

6 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

To entice his to sign in NJ and actually have a chance to pry him free, it would be.   I think the Leafs would match on both and this chain of events would lead to the likes of the Nylanders and Kapanens being traded for guys on ELCs and picks.     

To get them to sign an offer sheet, I think you're looking at 13-14 for Matthews and 11 for Marner.     

Sounds about right. 

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I'm not sure Marner does enough to justify losing those picks + overpaying on salary.  Great player but adding another dynamic undersized winger doesn't exactly make us a powerhouse.  Adding Matthews would have a trickle down effect and slots a lot of other guys currently on the team more appropriately.   At that point, I wouldn't worry that any of those 4 1sts we would have to give up would be at the top end of the draft.   

Hall-Matthews-Bratt

Zacha-Hischier-Palmieri _ I still think Zacha is better suited to be a wing.  Based on memory he was more productive there his first two years.  

It will never happen but that's two pretty nasty lines and we would still have presumably a top 10 pick this year to help address the defense.    

Disagree about Zacha playing wing. If all we’re going to get out of him is his defense he’s best used at center. He’s never really been productive in the NHL. 8 goals for 24/25 points both of his first two seasons. 

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Been poking around Blue's fan forums (I tend to like their teams over the years) and their fans are in a very similar state to where ours are lol.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Been poking around Blue's fan forums (I tend to like their teams over the years) and their fans are in a very similar state to where ours are lol.

I can imagine... they must be SCREAMING for Quenneville and wondering why it hasn’t happened yet.