2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

8 minutes ago, sokar said:

And another trade

Oilers fans are going nuts over this one. Manning was the guy who broke McDavids Collarbone, and who McDavid called completely classless. Also people have said McDavid is good friend with both Caggiula and Garrison. 

Couldn't actually make up how bad Chiarella is at times. 

On 12/30/2018 at 5:47 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Oilers fans are going nuts over this one. Manning was the guy who broke McDavids Collarbone, and who McDavid called completely classless. Also people have said McDavid is good friend with both Caggiula and Garrison. 

Couldn't actually make up how bad Chiarella is at times. 

We all know how some fans can be. From what I read, McDavid gave his Blessing on the trade, and was one of the first, if not first, to call Manning himself. 

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Honest to God didn't even know there was an outdoor game the other day.  I just do not care - the novelty has completely worn off.  Doesn't help that it seems to be the same 3-4 recycled teams every year.

The stadium series also watered it down a bit. Was kind of "Yea your teams don't generate enough money to put in the Winter Classic, so we'll throw you a bone here" kind of move. They had like 4 or 5 outdoor games that year. I'm right there with you. All Star game is poop and so is WC. Either keep the season going or just let them go to the Olympics. These events are obvious money grabs for high REV teams.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Honest to God didn't even know there was an outdoor game the other day.  I just do not care - the novelty has completely worn off.  Doesn't help that it seems to be the same 3-4 recycled teams every year.

I like the Winter Classic game still, I think it's a cool and unique event to do once a year and spread it out through as many teams as possible each year, but I agree, and never liked the idea of the Heritage Classic/Stadium Series games or whatever they call them.  I didn't see the point and like you, felt that it watered down the Winter Classic and made it less special.

22 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Do you guys even care about the All Star game? I certainly don't. Looks like Alex Ovechkin is facing a 1 game suspension for sitting it out.

https://www.tsn.ca/ovechkin-backs-out-of-all-star-game-will-sit-one-game-1.1234754

I'm not quite sure when the All Star game lost me but I haven't enjoyed it in years.

I'm one of the few people who seems to enjoy the All-Star Game.  I don't plan my day around it or anything, but if I'm home and I notice it's on, I'll stop on that channel and watch some of it.  I don't particularly care for the new format of 4 teams and having them do small/mini games to eventually get to some type of 'championship', but I still enjoy seeing the best of the best play against each other, and with each other.  I guess I've always found it interesting to see how the other best around the league would play with each other...you know, whether they'd actually play better, or perhaps not have much chemistry and not be as dominant as you'd think.  You never know.

I think it's definitely more of an allure for kids and when you're younger.  I think as a child growing up and loving the sport, you're developing your idols and even guys you don't necessarily like, but still respect their game, so it gives you a chance to see other great players from around the league.  I've always been an Eastern Conference guy obviously because of the Devils and also living geographically on this coast, so for me growing up I didn't see or know much about some of the Western Conference teams back when there was no internet and a lot less media publication.  The All-Star game was a chance for me to see them play on national TV surrounded by so much other talent and guys I know a lot better.

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I like the skills competition much more than the actual All Star game itself. 

I wonder how Wood would stack up against the fastest skaters around the league? If he didn’t fall down of course. 

Dude has to wear an extra set of long johns under his equipment because he spends so much time lying on the ice.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah, I'd probably watch WC every year if they went with 2 unique opponents each year. I have zero interest in watching Boston or Chicago for the 19th time and hearing their interviews about how "great" playing outdoors is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Yeah, I'd probably watch WC every year if they went with 2 unique opponents each year. I have zero interest in watching Boston or Chicago for the 19th time and hearing their interviews about how "great" playing outdoors is.

I watched this year’s game mostly cause the one son loves to sit in his bouncer and watch hockey. Gave me a bit of a break. But I’m beyond sick of seeing the Blackhawks seemingly every damn season and hearing the same practically canned answer from Kane or Toews about how special it is for them. Bitch, you’ve been in what feels like half of the outdoor games. I’d accept it as special if it came from almost anyone but you or Crosby

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I watched this year’s game mostly cause the one son loves to sit in his bouncer and watch hockey. Gave me a bit of a break. But I’m beyond sick of seeing the Blackhawks seemingly every damn season and hearing the same practically canned answer from Kane or Toews about how special it is for them. Bitch, you’ve been in what feels like half of the outdoor games. I’d accept it as special if it came from almost anyone but you or Crosby

I.e., the favorite one lol. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

The bolded would help, but I readily admit, whatever buzz those games had for me died a long time ago.  It seemed so cool a while back.  If the Devils ever play in another one though, I might consider going...didn't go the last time.