2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded would help, but I readily admit, whatever buzz those games had for me died a long time ago.  It seemed so cool a while back.  If the Devils ever play in another one though, I might consider going...didn't go the last time. 

I’m gonna do my best to make the trip to Colorado for the Stadium Series game at the AFA. It’s a bit of a hike from where i live but a few friends would easily jump at the chance to go.

I’m predicting it’ll be the red wings to try and reinvigorate the rivalry from the late 90’s

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded would help, but I readily admit, whatever buzz those games had for me died a long time ago.  It seemed so cool a while back.  If the Devils ever play in another one though, I might consider going...didn't go the last time. 

Boy you really missed it - nothing better than sitting in freezing rain and snow watching the Devils, and Brodeur especially, completely sh!t the bed in New York City!

The subway ride back to Penn Station was a blast, I can tell you that much. 

46 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Boy you really missed it - nothing better than sitting in freezing rain and snow watching the Devils, and Brodeur especially, completely sh!t the bed in New York City!

The subway ride back to Penn Station was a blast, I can tell you that much. 

I was at my best bud's house watching the game, and he happens to be a Ranger fan...yeah, that was a brutal day for sure.  That was also the game where I decided that I was 150% fine with Marty not being a Devil after that season...if he wanted to keep playing somewhere else, fine, but though it had already become clear that it was time for both Marty and the Devils to move on from each other, it was that game that was the exclamation point for me.  And his postgame quotes just made it worse. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I was at the SS game the Devils played in at Yankee Stadium.  I got myself and my wife bleacher tickets which were only the 3rd cheapest price point in the house.  Thankfully I had enough foresight to bring a blanket to put on the bleacher.  It was cold and miserable.  The game was delayed an hour due to sun glare (how did they not figure that would happen?) and even the intermission "entertainment" was garbage (Southside Johnny lol).  Also our angle was so bad we ended up watching almost the entire game from the scoreboard.  We eventually left right before the 3rd period started because we were just so damn cold.

Never again will I ever go to an outdoor Devils game. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I was at the SS game the Devils played in at Yankee Stadium.  I got myself and my wife bleacher tickets which were only the 3rd cheapest price point in the house.  Thankfully I had enough foresight to bring a blanket to put on the bleacher.  It was cold and miserable.  The game was delayed an hour due to sun glare (how did they not figure that would happen?) and even the intermission "entertainment" was garbage (Southside Johnny lol).  Also our angle was so bad we ended up watching almost the entire game from the scoreboard.  We eventually left right before the 3rd period started because we were just so damn cold.

Never again will I ever go to an outdoor Devils game. 

I exercise outdoors twice a day (speed-walking/jogging) from 7:00 - 8:00 am and 12:15 - 1:00 pm (as long as it's not pouring rain or too snowy...temperature doesn't stop me, cold or hot)...admittedly, as far as the cold days go, the fact that I'm moving the whole time helps a ton...I actually prefer a window of about 35-60 degrees F.  I think it would be a lot tougher just standing still, especially on a bitter bitter cold day (think less than 20 degrees F).  Of course it's a roll of the dice...a January day could be 15 degrees F, could be 50 degrees F.  But yeah, you can definitely get a miserable wintry kind of day.  I went to a Patriots-Jets game on 12/15/91, at the Meadowlands (a butt-ugly 6-3 Pats win), and that was one of the coldest games I ever went to...not only was it in the low 20s (tops), it was friggin' windy as hell...25+ mph winds the whole game.  I bought knishes just to warm my fingers.  I went to a pair of miserable weather games during the Pats' 16-0 season too (both in December)...up in NE against the Jets (some nice early morning snow turned into sleet BBs, which made everything on the ground slushy and awful), and in Baltimore (as cold and windy as it could get...I shivered the entire time...I didn't think my face could get that numb).  The older I get, the less patience I have for outdoor freezing sh!tty-weather sporting events...I've been to my share of April Mets games, and they can be pretty nasty and raw too.  I'd just rather watch on TV and have easy access to chow and Scotch. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I exercise outdoors twice a day (speed-walking/jogging) from 7:00 - 8:00 am and 12:15 - 1:00 pm (as long as it's not pouring rain or too snowy...temperature doesn't stop me, cold or hot)...admittedly, as far as the cold days go, the fact that I'm moving the whole time helps a ton...I actually prefer a window of about 35-60 degrees F.  I think it would be a lot tougher just standing still, especially on a bitter bitter cold day (think less than 20 degrees F).  Of course it's a roll of the dice...a January day could be 15 degrees F, could be 50 degrees F.  But yeah, you can definitely get a miserable wintry kind of day.  I went to a Patriots-Jets game on 12/15/91, at the Meadowlands (a butt-ugly 6-3 Pats win), and that was one of the coldest games I ever went to...not only was it in the low 20s (tops), it was friggin' windy as hell...25+ mph winds the whole game.  I bought knishes just to warm my fingers.  I went to a pair of miserable weather games during the Pats' 16-0 season too (both in December)...up in NE against the Jets (some nice early morning snow turned into sleet BBs, which made everything on the ground slushy and awful), and in Baltimore (as cold and windy as it could get...I shivered the entire time...I didn't think my face could get that numb).  The older I get, the less patience I have for outdoor freezing sh!tty-weather sporting events...I've been to my share of April Mets games, and they can be pretty nasty and raw too.  I'd just rather watch on TV and have easy access to chow and Scotch. 

From what I remember, the temps that day topped out at around 25 degrees.  I was wearing 6 layers of clothes/jackets and as well as hand warmers and that barely made a dent.  It was miserable.

Kovalchuk now without a point in five straight, has exactly 3 points in his last 18 GP.  How badly are you missing the K there pal? 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kovalchuk now without a point in five straight, has exactly 3 points in his last 18 GP.  How badly are you missing the K there pal? 

I said to my buddy who is a huge Lightning fan last night that I saw they beat up on the Kings 6-2 yesterday, and also said that I was so glad that Kovalfvck has no shot at the playoffs this year.  It's even funnier that, not only is he on a bad team, but he's on the team that's dead last in the league.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You know the almost automatic lecture you give me all the time about not letting go and asking why I keep trying to bring down someone who isn't even here anymore........................................

Just now, SterioDesign said:

You know the almost automatic lecture you give me all the time about not letting go and asking why I keep trying to bring down someone who isn't even here anymore........................................

"All the time"?  That's a bit much, and you know it. 

My tracking Kovy is not really related anyway...you bitch about Lou (and Conte) almost any time there's even a slight opening for you to do it, and it's almost always the same message, which comes down to "I'm right, everyone else was wrong, even though I leave out all of the shades of gray that were present at the time, and BTW, I'm right, did you hear me, I'm right I'm right I'M RIGHT DAMMIT!"  One big difference is that Lou had a lot of success here, even with the rough ending...Kovy's run here was much more uneven (and in the general scheme, he really wasn't here that long).  That's why I don't get why you do it with such spite, as I've explained.  But that is what it is. 

I'm just amazed at how much Kovy's struggled in general...I did think he would get off to somewhere between a hot and solid start before slowing up...I thought a reasonable over/under on his goal pace over 82 GP was 25 (and about 50 points)...with his shot, even if the rest of his game wasn't that good, you'd figure he'd score about 25 or so almost by accident.  Right now he's at an 18 goal pace.  It was going to be hard to try to correlate what Kovy was doing on an uber-stacked KHL team to what he might do in the NHL (he never truly dominated the K the way we would've thought and was never going to put up bad numbers, but he still did well in the glamour categories).  But did anyone think he'd be so meh that he'd ever get demoted to the 4th line?   

Yeah, I do follow him, mostly because the Kings did take quite a risk, especially since they made a three-year commitment to him at pretty nice coin...this was no bargain-signing with steal potential.  If they signed him to a one-year deal at, say, $3-4 million, I wouldn't think his failures would be that big of a deal.  Outside of one big four-game surge, he's been almost invisible.  Guess I find that surprising/shocking enough to comment on it from time to time.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

"All the time"?  That's a bit much, and you know it. 

My tracking Kovy is not really related anyway...you bitch about Lou (and Conte) almost any time there's even a slight opening for you to do it, and it's almost always the same message, which comes down to "I'm right, everyone else was wrong, even though I leave out all of the shades of gray that were present at the time, and BTW, I'm right, did you hear me, I'm right I'm right I'M RIGHT DAMMIT!"  One big difference is that Lou had a lot of success here, even with the rough ending...Kovy's run here was much more uneven (and in the general scheme, he really wasn't here that long).  That's why I don't get why you do it with such spite, as I've explained.  But that is what it is. 

I'm just amazed at how much Kovy's struggled in general...I did think he would get off to somewhere between a hot and solid start before slowing up...I thought a reasonable over/under on his goal pace over 82 GP was 25 (and about 50 points)...with his shot, even if the rest of his game wasn't that good, you'd figure he'd score about 25 or so almost by accident.  Right now he's at an 18 goal pace.  It was going to be hard to try to correlate what Kovy was doing on an uber-stacked KHL team to what he might do in the NHL (he never truly dominated the K the way we would've thought and was never going to put up bad numbers, but he still did well in the glamour categories).  But did anyone think he'd be so meh that he'd ever get demoted to the 4th line?   

Yeah, I do follow him, mostly because the Kings did take quite a risk, especially since they made a three-year commitment to him at pretty nice coin...this was no bargain-signing with steal potential.  If they signed him to a one-year deal at, say, $3-4 million, I wouldn't think his failures would be that big of a deal.  Outside of one big four-game surge, he's been almost invisible.  Guess I find that surprising/shocking enough to comment on it from time to time.

Yeah well, the problems and wrong approaches i was calling out for decades still have a HUGE impact on the team right now and why we have such a mountain to climb and everyone denied it for years. So yeah well... I was indeed right. There are no shades of grey left out, just biased excuses. So it's still relevant to keep in mind why we're where we are now and it will come back in discussions for as long as we suck. Especially when some people are bashing the new GM who was handed this mess with expectations he should somehow make the team contenders within 3-4 years.

Kovy struggling has no effects on us unless he'd play for a rival or wtv. Most people bringing it up are just still bitter about him just like i'm bitter about the previous management. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Yeah well, the problems and wrong approaches i was calling out for decades still have a HUGE impact on the team right now and why we have such a mountain to climb and everyone denied it for years. So yeah well... I was indeed right. There are no shades of grey left out, just biased excuses. So it's still relevant to keep in mind why we're where we are now and it will come back in discussions for as long as we suck. Especially when some people are bashing the new GM who was handed this mess with expectations he should somehow make the team contenders within 3-4 years.

Kovy struggling has no effects on us unless he'd play for a rival or wtv. Most people bringing it up are just still bitter about him just like i'm bitter about the previous management. 

Don't you know if you remember what I posted about Kovy when all that went down, but I made a point out of not judging him for not wanting to be here, and that if his heart wasn't into being a Devil, then I had no issues with him "retiring"...that's why I never really was all that interested in following any alternate "if Kovy was still here" timelines, because in the only timeline that matters, Ilya simply decided that being a Devil no longer appealed to him, even with all of the money he could have made for sticking around.  So I definitely don't put myself in the "bitter" category re:  his departure. 

As a fan of the sport, there's a number of players I track, for various reasons.  I've explained why I check in on Kovy from time to time.  I've also been following Nolan Patrick (mostly because so many were wondering if the Devils were going to take him or Hischier) and Erik Karlsson, among a number of others. 

We've pretty much been in agreement on Shero since Day 1.  I would say what some people do (in error) is lump Lou's final years with Shero's early years here...I agree with you that Shero clearly didn't have a ton to work with here when he first took the job, but he's had a little more than you've given the previous regime...Severson, Henrique (who became Vatanen), KK and Schneider (we all know how Cory's game fell off a cliff, but through late last December, it still looked like he could be the long-term guy his contract suggested he should be), Larsson (who became Hall, 100% thanks to Shero), Zajac...and Coleman was a Lou/Conte pick...you've posted how bad the roster was at the end, and like I said, it was not great by any stretch, but there were some pieces here. 

That being said, there definitely weren't enough pieces to expect a SC contender quickly, and Shero has come in with a plan and stuck to it (though last year's team made him decide to go off the script a little bit, with the Grabner and Maroon deals, both of which I was in favor of, even if they didn't pan out as expected, especially Grabner)...and as we've been over, some fine "made sense" deals (like MoJo) just haven't worked out...sometimes you get unlucky.  I really like that Shero realizes that vastly overpaying for 30ish-year-old UFAs isn't the way to go...as much as those signings give us something to chew on and a little excitement initially, a lot of times they don't pay off.  I do think he's going to make a very solid move or two come this offseason that we can all get behind...as well as start sifting through the youth pile and begin to whittle it down.  This was an evaluation season, and unlike the Mets, where one evaluation season tends to turn into 3-4 of them, I don't think 2019-20 will be Part Deux.  There will be changes. 

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I said to my buddy who is a huge Lightning fan last night that I saw they beat up on the Kings 6-2 yesterday, and also said that I was so glad that Kovalfvck has no shot at the playoffs this year.  It's even funnier that, not only is he on a bad team, but he's on the team that's dead last in the league.

He also celebrated Doughty's 3rd period power play goal as if it was the go-ahead in an epic comeback

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He also celebrated Doughty's 3rd period power play goal as if it was the go-ahead in an epic comeback

I guess when you're on his level of suckage, you have to find a silver lining somewhere.  Here's to him celebrating the 2nd goal in many more 6-2 losses. :cheers:

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On 1/4/2019 at 8:46 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

Traitors get what they deserve.  You made your own bed, pal!  (Doesn't it look like he isn't even trying very hard?)

Edited by aclc79
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jagknife said:

A couple nights ago, or last night for all I can tell anymore, I had a dream the glow puck was back. This time it was green during play, red for hard shots.

then this came out:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1692730

I hope this does not become a thing again, I don't know about the rest of you but if I had to watch that every game it would make me crazy.

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I hope this does not become a thing again, I don't know about the rest of you but if I had to watch that every game it would make me crazy.

Looks like it's just for 90's night for the Kings. It might cool for replays or something, but in live play it just felt weird. The only time I liked it was when the puck was against the near boards. 

I do like how Marty was the only goalie to make a save in the video they attached though. 

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Looks like it's just for 90's night for the Kings. It might cool for replays or something, but in live play it just felt weird. The only time I liked it was when the puck was against the near boards. 

I do like how Marty was the only goalie to make a save in the video they attached though. 

It was only used in some replays last night. Wasn’t used throughout the game.

Edited by jagknife

On 1/5/2019 at 1:25 PM, jagknife said:

A couple nights ago, or last night for all I can tell anymore, I had a dream the glow puck was back. This time it was green during play, red for hard shots.

then this came out:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1692730

Proof that everything from the 90s is being forcefully brought back and in style lol... Weird, but I guess this is what our parents and grandparents must have felt when I was growing up in the 90s and girls were wearing bell bottoms and swing-based pop music strangely got popular for a few years LOL

I went to a club for a birthday party a couple weeks ago and everyone 21-25 years old is wearing Champion, FILA, Kappa, and saw at least a dozen girls wearing camouflage pants like it was a 90s R&B girl group night. That sh!t was in 99 cent stores nationwide 2-3 years ago lol

24 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Proof that everything from the 90s is being forcefully brought back and in style lol... Weird, but I guess this is what our parents and grandparents must have felt when I was growing up in the 90s and girls were wearing bell bottoms and swing-based pop music strangely got popular for a few years LOL

I went to a club for a birthday party a couple weeks ago and everyone 21-25 years old is wearing Champion, FILA, Kappa, and saw at least a dozen girls wearing camouflage pants like it was a 90s R&B girl group night. That sh!t was in 99 cent stores nationwide 2-3 years ago lol

If they didn’t have Starter jackets they were doing it wrong.

A5D6D39E-64F6-4C99-8695-364A16492B0B.jpeg

Also, remember when hockey jerseys became popular in the hip hop community?

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1