2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Devils jerseys were particularly popular with the hip hop crowd in the mid 90's.  Kings were too IIRC.

Yeah especially when we switched to the red and black. Kings and Raiders gear was really popular because of the colors. Plus I listened to a lot of west coast hip hop back then (more east coast but I still liked a lot of the west coast stuff). 

3 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Yeah especially when we switched to the red and black. Kings and Raiders gear was really popular because of the colors. Plus I listened to a lot of west coast hip hop back then (more east coast but I still liked a lot of the west coast stuff). 

Heh heh, I remember seeing Dave Matthew's drummer wearing a Devils jersey in a video, and thinking "OK, that's cool" (even though I'm not a huge fan of the band).  I then saw him wearing a Rangers jersey elsewhere (also behind the kit), and thought "fvck that guy, he probably doesn't even fvcking watch hockey!"

The only Devils apparel I've ever been interested in are jerseys.  No T-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets...though I do like some of the hats and caps. 

3 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Proof that everything from the 90s is being forcefully brought back and in style lol... Weird, but I guess this is what our parents and grandparents must have felt when I was growing up in the 90s and girls were wearing bell bottoms and swing-based pop music strangely got popular for a few years LOL

I went to a club for a birthday party a couple weeks ago and everyone 21-25 years old is wearing Champion, FILA, Kappa, and saw at least a dozen girls wearing camouflage pants like it was a 90s R&B girl group night. That sh!t was in 99 cent stores nationwide 2-3 years ago lol

Wow, is the bolded really becoming a thing?  I had no idea, honestly.  Kinda funny.  The decade that I grew up in (the 80s) was just cheesy and awful enough fashion-wise that I don't think any of the more "notable" clothing trends will EVER see a second life as 2020 and beyond approach (and I remember being nine years old when January 1, 1980 rolled around...and how the year 2000 sounded so futuristic and far away...damn...)

On 1/7/2019 at 11:58 AM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I know this is more site news and not devil's news per see, but we're only a few hundred posts away from hitting 1,000,000!

Oh man, I say we dedicate post #1,000,000 to @Mike Brown where he does a recap of the board and its members as he sees fit.

I'm being serious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Oh man, I say we dedicate post #1,000,000 to @Mike Brown where he does a recap of the board and its members as he sees fit.

I'm being serious.

I wonder how many stoppable shots I let in...

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Kucherov hits 71 points in 43 games.  That's on pace for 135+ points.

Signed for 8 more years at only 9.5AAV.  I don't understand how teams are supposed to compete with Tampa.

I've never seen a team that stacked.

Guy went 58th overall in the 2011 draft too...has more points than anyone else in that draft.  Hell of a pick.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guy went 58th overall in the 2011 draft too...has more points than anyone else in that draft.  Hell of a pick.

Id definitely like to take a minute later to read what the experts said about him when picked, his pros and cons etc. and what Tampa fans thought of him. He's a hell of a player going at 58

Edited by Devil Dan 56

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It's perfect that at a time when great players like Panarin and Tarasenko might be available in FA/trade the Devils pick it as the time to really suck major ass. It's great. Really wonderful stuff.

On this note, will be interesting to see what Tarasenko's trade value would be.  He's having a pretty miserable year, compared to his previous seasons...he's been especially meh (or a little unlucky) lately...just 8 points in his last 23 GP.  And the Blues aren't exactly swimming in cap space. 

If the Devils really want to go hard after Panarin, they have the money to offer him...they can outbid everyone (expect Columbus of course).  But it's starting to feel like getting one of the top and truly desirable UFAs in any given class isn't ever going to happen (though I'd love to be proven wrong on that one). 

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On this note, will be interesting to see what Tarasenko's trade value would be.  He's having a pretty miserable year, compared to his previous seasons...he's been especially meh (or a little unlucky) lately...just 8 points in his last 23 GP.  And the Blues aren't exactly swimming in cap space. 

If the Devils really want to go hard after Panarin, they have the money to offer him...they can outbid everyone (expect Columbus of course).  But it's starting to feel like getting one of the top and truly desirable UFAs in any given class isn't ever going to happen (though I'd love to be proven wrong on that one). 

At the beginning of the year I would have believed that a Tarasenko/Panerin level of player would be a huge piece the Devils need to be over the "fringe playoff team" line. However, this season going how it has thus far has shown the team to be much further than I thought. I'm not sure if one of those guys + Hall/Nico could do enough to cover those issues. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

At the beginning of the year I would have believed that a Tarasenko/Panerin level of player would be a huge piece the Devils need to be over the "fringe playoff team" line. However, this season going how it has thus far has shown the team to be much further than I thought. I'm not sure if one of those guys + Hall/Nico could do enough to cover those issues. 

I don't think the team is that far from being a fringe playoff team (the Devils clearly have issues, but better goaltending will make a ton of difference...hope Mac is the real deal, and will soon be back healthy), but it's definitely a long way from being a legit SC contender.  There's some pretty beastly teams right now, and the Devils aren't anywhere near on that level.  Scoring a Panarin would help, but I'm not sure how much that really closes the gap.  You see teams like Tampa, Toronto, Pitt, Washington...there's just some friggin' really good teams out there right now.  And the Devils look like they have their hands full with just about ANY opponent these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

So from the looks of things, and exhaustion may be screwing with my brain here, the All Star jerseys will just be your team’s logo but on a Sharks jersey? And made from recycled (they call it up cycled) materials.

So weird and I totally want one. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

It’s sad to see how badly Wysh sold his soul to the corporate machine 

To be honest, Puck Soup is the only place I can hear Wysh still be Wysh nowadays. Think the podcast is much better now too with Ryan Lambert and Down Goes Brown as his co-hosts instead of Dave Lozo, I got kind of tired of Lozo's hate everything shtick.

• Like 1