2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Why is this of benefit? Don’t you still have the same cap hit? 

My understanding is paid up front, no escrow, lockout proof and buyout proof. I believe same cap hit.  

Something I'm sure needs to be addressed in the next CBA.  Seems like somewhat of a loophole.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, titans04 said:

My understanding is paid up front, no escrow, lockout proof and buyout proof. I believe same cap hit.  

Something I'm sure needs to be addressed in the next CBA.  Seems like somewhat of a loophole.

Pretty badass to go cash a $15.2m check. I’d insist on the giant check a la Happy Gilmore. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, titans04 said:

I honestly don’t see how another stoppage is avoidable, players are going to want to kill as much escrow as possible. Owners aren’t going to willingly stop liking their money.

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That may be true, but to me the simple fact that he asked for and got a NMC implies that he didn't want to go anywhere when initially signing with them, and now just 4 months later, with things not going the way he wants or planned, suddenly he's perfectly fine waiving the clause.  It just screams of his selfishness and me-first attitude.  He's not in it for the long haul or a team player.  Guy's only ever looked out for himself.  At this stage of his life/career it no one knew any better, we'd say, "yeah, 35 year old guy, never had a Cup, makes sense for him to waive his NMC and try to get one somewhere at the end of his career", but alas, we know who this guy really is.  I hope he ends up in Arizona.

If you grew up in Russia you would understand.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I honestly don’t see how another stoppage is avoidable, players are going to want to kill as much escrow as possible. Owners aren’t going to willingly stop liking their money.

I've said this before but I'm fine with it at this point. Saves half a season worth of games and at the rate this team is going we aren't going to be missing anything anyway. 

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've said this before but I'm fine with it at this point. Saves half a season worth of games and at the rate this team is going we aren't going to be missing anything anyway. 

Now you’re rooting for a lockout?

#FakeFan

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Not rooting for it but I'm fine with it if it happens. The previous times I was completely pissed off but it's become like clockwork with this league that we are going to have at least 1 lockout a decade so it is what it is.

We've already had one this decade 😛  When does the current CBA expire?

40 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

We've already had one this decade 😛  When does the current CBA expire?

From Wiki:

The current CBA is a 10-year deal, expiring after the 2021–22 season.

The NHL can choose to opt out of the CBA on September 1, 2019 (expiring in 2020). The NHLPA can choose to opt out of the CBA on September 19, 2019.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Package deal?  I don't get why having the same agent would make them a package deal.. but what do I know.

What I DO know is that we could afford this.. if we moved on from Cory. 

But I just don't see the Devils getting involved with either.

There's several things at play here.  1)  Cory's play last night looked mildly encouraging, 2) He has years left on his contract at a large value, and 3) Kinkaid is a free agent after this year.  After last night's game, I think the organization is going to let KK walk this summer, and appoint Blackwood as the 'backup'.  Over the summer and through camp I'm sure they will battle it out for the #1 spot.  I can't imagine having a goalie that you're paying $6M to sit on the bench and be a backup, and also I'm sure they think they haven't seen enough of BW yet and he's still too young/raw, so I think ultimately Schneider 'wins' the starting job and will get the start on opening day next year.  Because of all of that, I don't see us going after Bobrovsky who isn't getting any younger.

In terms of Panarin, while he's a great talent and would be nice to have, for starters I'm not sure he'd want to come here, and on top of that, I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with him and Columbus, but don't think I'd want that drama with us either.

The Athletic has an interview with Panarin & he said this about them going to the same team FWIW: https://theathletic.com/808689/2019/02/08/artemi-panarin-in-first-english-interview-smiles-jokes-and-laughs-through-wide-ranging-conversation/

Panarin shot down the suggestion that Bobrovsky and Panarin — now working with the same agent — would be a package deal as free agents this coming summer.

“Interesting situation,” Panarin said. “I really like (Bobrovsky) and we’re big friends right now. But we have two different lives.”

Also, there's a Tom Kurvers article in the Athletic (which is unlocked so all can read it) - he's been diagnosed with lung cancer. Keep fighting TK & best of luck for a full recovery:  https://theathletic.com/808713/2019/02/08/tom-kurvers-lung-cancer-wild-assistant-gm/

• Like 1

There was some buzz about Panarin and the Devils when he was first coming over to the NHL. I remember the thread here. He didn't want to come here then, at least. 

The Rags found another reason to roll out the red carpet for the 94 team last night. Is it that time of the month already?