2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it sure worked like a charm in NJ when Lou went behind the bench in the 2014-2015 season.

oh wait.......

Did work in 2005-06, but the three-headed monster was painful, tortorous, a boot to the balls, you name it.  That was a guy grasping at frayed straws.  

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Did work in 2005-06, but the three-headed monster was painful, tortorous, a boot to the balls, you name it.  That was a guy grasping at frayed straws.  

they had a roster with talent in 2005-2006 its quite different. I'd be ashamed to call what we had in 2014-2015 a roster... it was nothing more than a joke

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

they had a roster with talent in 2005-2006 its quite different. I'd be ashamed to call what we had in 2014-2015 a roster... it was nothing more than a joke

Elias coming back helped that 2005-06 team a lot too.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just because. 

What was great about that whole mess is that the Rangers needed one damned win to clinch with five games left on their schedule...and they lost every game.  And of course the Devils sweeping them meant they ended their 2005-06 season with nine straight losses. 

Don't know if you ever used to frequent the ESPN message boards, but the Flyer fans saw the Devils go down 3-0 to the Canadiens, and they thought THEY had wrapped up the Atlantic at that point...it was funny watching them all lose their sh!t once the Devils came back to win.  Yeah, was a crazy crazy fun ride...and man did it come to an abrupt end once the friggin' Candy Canes rolled in.  But 15 straight wins...oh the memories...

• Like 1

Oohhh I'd take Huberdeau in a heartbeat if the Panthers were stupid enough to trade him.

Great contract, oodles of talent.

Edit: Oh this is in relation to trading him to the Jackets, not to clear space.  Nevermind.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

Also, I miss the smile that Brodeur had on his face, and some of the other guys, after the clock struck 0:00.  You just knew they were going to win, and there was so much confidence.  We have almost none of that know.

I miss the coaching staff's attitude too - Lemaire and Co. - looked just like business as usual as they strolled off the bench. They did their job and accomplished their task, now they knew they had to go on to the Rangers and into the playoffs.  We need more of that.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, I miss the smile that Brodeur had on his face, and some of the other guys, after the clock struck 0:00.  You just knew they were going to win, and there was so much confidence.  We have almost none of that know.

I miss the coaching staff's attitude too - Lemaire and Co. - looked just like business as usual as they strolled off the bench. They did their job and accomplished their task, now they knew they had to go on to the Rangers and into the playoffs.  We need more of that.

That's Lou, not Lemaire.  Lemaire didn't come back to NJ until the 2009-10 season.  He was coaching the Wild in 2005-06. 

It was just a different era of Devils hockey.  Still a nice chunk of players who weren't far removed from a Cup (only three years), though they managed to wear out poor Larry Robinson that year.  That's why Lou jumped behind the bench (helped that time, not so much the other times he tried it).  And then of course Elias comes back and is absolutely terrific. 

Current team is still trying to figure themselves out and put something together.  We know Shero didn't inherit a whole lot (at either the NHL or AHL levels), and one of his seemingly "sure thing" pieces (Cory) is as far from "sure thing" as it gets.  We'd all like "more of that" (as in what we saw in 2005-06), but it's going to take some more time.     

• Like 1

14 hours ago, titans04 said:

Good.

Malkin embodies the "spoiler superstar" that I truly despise.  He's dirty as fvck but gets by on his reputation alone.

Or at least, has in the past.  Let's be clear - if a plug swung his stick at another player's face like that he'd be gone at least 5 games without even thinking about it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

McDavid vs. Crosby tonight. That’s appointment TV.

Will definitely have to tune in.  Two very different sensational players.

I wish McDavid was with a different team though.  It's a shame that the best years of, probably, one of the best players ever is going to be wasted on the Oilers.

• Like 1