2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kariya too- but now all three of those guys are immortalized in the rafters, as they should be. 

Yep. Nice when you have only names in the rafters that absolutely no one can argue with like NJ and ANA. 

Now some other teams...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yep. Nice when you have only names in the rafters that absolutely no one can argue with like NJ and ANA. 

Now some other teams...

Biggest offender on that front for me is the Avs retiring Ray Bourque's #77.  He played all of 94 regular season games with them.  And it's not like the Avs had never ever won a Cup before he was dealt there...they had won one just five years prior. 

And of course, the Rangers suddenly deciding that Jean Ratelle was worthy well over THIRTY YEARS after his playing days had ended...that one was a complete joke.  I know these guys never see it this way, and I don't blame them, but if I'm Ratelle there's a part of me that wonders "Why NOW?!"   I bet about half the crowd there for his ceremony (if that much) even knew who he was, or had distinct memories of him playing.  He hadn't suited up for the Rangers since 1975. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Biggest offender on that front for me is the Avs retiring Ray Bourque's #77.  He played all of 94 regular season games with them.  And it's not like the Avs had never ever won a Cup before he was dealt there...they had won one just five years prior. 

And of course, the Rangers suddenly deciding that Jean Ratelle was worthy well over THIRTY YEARS after his playing days had ended...that one was a complete joke.  I know these guys never see it this way, and I don't blame them, but if I'm Ratelle there's a part of me that wonders "Why NOW?!"   I bet about half the crowd there for his ceremony (if that much) even knew who he was, or had distinct memories of him playing.  He hadn't suited up for the Rangers since 1975. 

Apparently Borque was almost a Devil. They were one of 3 other teams besides the Avs with deals on the table and when he went to bed the day before he was traded, he was under the impression he was moving to Jersey. He talked about it on Spittin Chiclets a few weeks ago

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

As if I couldn’t hate that team more...

• Like 1

The Lightning and Vasilevsky almost had 3 shutouts in a row last night, but Columbus scored in the final minute of the game.  Before that, their last 3 games were 6-0, 3-0, and 5-0 before eventually winning 5-1.  Their team looks unstoppable.  I guess there's the possibility that they may tire and fizzle out early, but it almost seems like the remaining 20 games are just a formality before they go through the playoffs and steamroll everyone.   The best thing going for them is that their team is incredibly healthy at the moment, but even if they do suffer an injury or two, they're so deep it seems like it would hardly matter.  Their core of Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Palat, Killorn, Headman, etc remains me of the 80s Oilers with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Tikanen, Lowe, Coffey, etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The Lightning and Vasilevsky almost had 3 shutouts in a row last night, but Columbus scored in the final minute of the game.  Before that, their last 3 games were 6-0, 3-0, and 5-0 before eventually winning 5-1.  Their team looks unstoppable.  I guess there's the possibility that they may tire and fizzle out early, but it almost seems like the remaining 20 games are just a formality before they go through the playoffs and steamroll everyone.   The best thing going for them is that their team is incredibly healthy at the moment, but even if they do suffer an injury or two, they're so deep it seems like it would hardly matter.  Their core of Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Palat, Killorn, Headman, etc remains me of the 80s Oilers with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Tikanen, Lowe, Coffey, etc. 

Tampa should honestly try to find 8-10 games for Domingue to start in the final 22 games, their only real problem last year was that Vasilevskiy got burnt out at the end of the season and his play dipped, if they have a peak performance Vasilevskiy in goal with that core in front of him I'm not sure how anyone beats them in a 7 game series this year. They're so good.

Kucherov also got his 99th point last night. He's on pace for 135. Just absolutely insane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Tampa should honestly try to find 8-10 games for Domingue to start in the final 22 games, their only real problem last year was that Vasilevskiy got burnt out at the end of the season and his play dipped, if they have a peak performance Vasilevskiy in goal with that core in front of him I'm not sure how anyone beats them in a 7 game series this year. They're so good.

Kucherov also got his 99th point last night. He's on pace for 135. Just absolutely insane.

Agreed - it's hard to find weaknesses in their team right now.  I dunno if they'll do it, but I think you're right, Domingue should play quite a few.

I meant to mention Kucherov too - he had such a good season last year and it's nuts to see him duplicating and exceeding that performance this year.  Crazy to think that he was what, like a 3rd or 4th round pick?

32 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed - it's hard to find weaknesses in their team right now.  I dunno if they'll do it, but I think you're right, Domingue should play quite a few.

I meant to mention Kucherov too - he had such a good season last year and it's nuts to see him duplicating and exceeding that performance this year.  Crazy to think that he was what, like a 3rd or 4th round pick?

Late second-rounder...think it was 58th overall. 

55 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If they don’t win the Cup this year, they may never win it. They’re a straight-up juggernaut. 

Edited by MadDog2020

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Late second-rounder...think it was 58th overall. 

Ah gotcha.  Knew it was somewhat later on.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If they don’t win the Cup this year, they may never win it. They’re a straight-up juggernaut. 

For sure.  I was just telling someone here that if they don't win this year I wouldn't be surprised if some people get turned off and stop going to games or paying as much attention.  Their attendance has been phenomenal the past 5-10 years, and they're done a great job attracting and grooming die-hards, but they've been so good the past couple years and if they don't win it all this year I can see some people saying "what's the point?" and why watch a long 82-game season only to see them fizzle when it matters most. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s crazy that Yzerman was as good a GM as he was a player. 

Indeed. I keep forgetting he's going back to Detroit after this year too - allegedly.  Wonder if he's going to turn them around the same way he did for the Bolts.