2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

6 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

have to feel for Johansson.. guy has possibly the worst luck with staying healthy. 

So weird though, he never had that issue before New Jersey. 

No wonder he didn’t want to sign an extension lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So weird though, he never had that issue before New Jersey. 

No wonder he didn’t want to sign an extension lol. 

Touched on the above in an earlier post...I think there was mutual disinterest on both sides.  MoJo probably felt a bit cursed as a Devil (considering his track record prior, how could he not?), and Shero probably felt like it just wasn't meant to be.  Still would've taken the risk at the time for sure...on paper it made nothing but perfect sense.

Pretty impressive stats being put in as we enter the last 15 or so games of the season.  Ovechkin looks like he's going to win his 8th goal scoring title, which is amazing.  He already set the record when he got 7, and as he likely adds to it this year, I don't think we're going to see someone break that for quite some time.  

Kucherov has also tied McDavid's points lead of 108 last year, and obviously still has time to add to that too.  Jagr put up 127 20 years ago in 98-99, and it's not unreasonable to think he might reach that.  

Not much else going on especially with our team right now, but at least these are interesting and exciting to watch and track.

• Like 2

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Pretty impressive stats being put in as we enter the last 15 or so games of the season.  Ovechkin looks like he's going to win his 8th goal scoring title, which is amazing.  He already set the record when he got 7, and as he likely adds to it this year, I don't think we're going to see someone break that for quite some time.  

Kucherov has also tied McDavid's points lead of 108 last year, and obviously still has time to add to that too.  Jagr put up 127 20 years ago in 98-99, and it's not unreasonable to think he might reach that.  

Not much else going on especially with our team right now, but at least these are interesting and exciting to watch and track.

Kucherov had a stretch this season where he put up 81 points in 44 games (22 G and 59 A).  That's just insanity in this day and age. 

As for Ovechkin, barring injury, next season he should crack 700 goals and work his way past Messier for 8th on the all-time list.  He should break into the Top 5 all-time the season after that...he needs 79 more goals to do it.  At any rate, hard to think that he doesn't finish his career as one of only three players ever to manage 800+ goals in the NHL, and with Gordie Howe having barely broken that barrier (801), seems like a solid bet that Ovechkin will retire as the second-highest goal-scorer in NHL history.  Just too early to argue that he has a shot a Gretzky (894)...I'd need to see him get to 850 or so and still have enough left in the tank. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's crazy to think that we've gotten to watch, imo, the greatest pure goalscorer of all time do his thing in glorious HD.  Like in 20 years we're going to be talking about Ovechkin the way many talk about the greats of the 60s/70s/80s today.

He really is incredible.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kucherov had a stretch this season where he put up 81 points in 44 games (22 G and 59 A).  That's just insanity in this day and age. 

As for Ovechkin, barring injury, next season he should crack 700 goals and work his way past Messier for 8th on the all-time list.  He should break into the Top 5 all-time the season after that...he needs 79 more goals to do it.  At any rate, hard to think that he doesn't finish his career as one of only three players ever to manage 800+ goals in the NHL, and with Gordie Howe having barely broken that barrier (801), seems like a solid bet that Ovechkin will retire as the second-highest goal-scorer in NHL history.  Just too early to argue that he has a shot a Gretzky (894)...I'd need to see him get to 850 or so and still have enough left in the tank. 

Yeah, what's cool for him is that he's steadily passing guys pretty much every half season or so at this point, which you'd think has to be a nice incentive for him to keep trying so hard night in and night out - if he hits 45+ goals next year he'll top 700 like you said, and pass a handful of guys as he climbs the ladder.  If I were him, I'd get a ton of joy and motivation from leaping some of the NHL's all-time greats in the next year or two.  

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t think Ovechkin catches Gretzky, but if he ends up #2 all time, that is one hell of an incredible accomplishment. The greatest goal scorer of his generation for sure. 

I don't think he does either, but what's surprising to me and equally impressive is how healthy he's been lately, and in general throughout his career.  He's played the entire season the last two years, and only missed 1 game this year, which wasn't even due to injury or illness, it was the mandatory game he had to sit out for skipping the All-Star game.  If he's able to continue playing a similar amount of games for the next 4-5 years, you never know, he may actually get close to 894.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It's crazy to think that we've gotten to watch, imo, the greatest pure goalscorer of all time do his thing in glorious HD.  Like in 20 years we're going to be talking about Ovechkin the way many talk about the greats of the 60s/70s/80s today.

He really is incredible.

Completely agree.  I'm guilty of projecting into the future all too often, both in sports when thinking about stats, and even in my own life, but I gotta admit, it saddens me to think that in 5-7 years or so he'll probably be retired, and it'll be the end of an amazing era in hockey.  I've always been sort of a fan of his from the moment he was drafted because, quite obviously, I saw his pure and raw talent for goal scoring, and as his career winds down, although I'm no Caps fan, I'm trying to appreciate and savor getting to watch him play and track his stats.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So while we're on the topic of Ovechkin.. here's #46:

https://streamable.com/54ac0

He just makes it look so easy.  Has a lot of time, granted, but still.. just absolutely wires it through the legs.  Makes the goalie look stupid.

I think the amazing thing is that he looks at the goalie before he gets the pass and then doesn't look again until after the shot is released. He took the shot without even picking up his head and it was placed perfectly even after the goalie adjusted his angle to face him. He just fvcking knew.

• Like 2

Ovechkin is amazing because everyone knows exactly where he is and where he's gonna be shooting from, he's been doing it exactly the same for the past 14 years, and still no one can stop him or slow him down. I think he's already the greatest goal scorer in NHL history, really hope he can break Gretzky's record.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I think the amazing thing is that he looks at the goalie before he gets the pass and then doesn't look again until after the shot is released. He took the shot without even picking up his head and it was placed perfectly even after the goalie adjusted his angle to face him. He just fvcking knew.

Meanwhile I'm over here tripping over my own feet walking around the office if I don't watch where I'm going the entire time.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Columbus lost a huge game to Pittsburgh today 3-0, they really are going to try their hardest to miss the playoffs lol

It sucks that we're not making the playoffs, and nothing can really make up for that, but Columbus missing the playoffs would come awfully close.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It sucks that we're not making the playoffs, and nothing can really make up for that, but Columbus missing the playoffs would come awfully close.

That coupled with the Rangers also not making it is pretty awesome. 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 11:19 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Columbus lost a huge game to Pittsburgh today 3-0, they really are going to try their hardest to miss the playoffs lol

The blue Jacket totally pulled a Lou this year going all-in like that. They won't win anything, they'll lose tons of huge assets this summer and that will crippled their team for a long long time

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

What about that Voracek hit on Boychuk? Clearly he made head contact, but what the heck was Boychuk doing skating at him so fast?  I mean Gritty was practically defending himself. 

Voracek getting two games while Malkin got one for almost chopping someone's head off with this stick is a total joke imo.

But then again, DOPS is nothing if not inconsistent.  

9 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

We talk about how will Toronto pay Marner and Nylander and forget this insane defensemen named Rielly. He's gonna get himself a 8yr contract to. Man is a machine.

That Rielly contract was one of the best things Lou did for the Leafs, he's still locked up for another three years at $5M after this season. Imagine the kind of dough he would get on the open market, and the Leafs will probably be paying about half of that through 2022.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's kind of funny that they mention Marleau as having scored nine goals in his first five games one year...he did that during the 2013 season.  He scored just 8 goals the rest of the way, in 43 GP.

One pretty amazing stat about Marleau, regardless of what some might think about him (he's a bit of a compiler, but that's due to freakish durability, as you'll soon see); if he doesn't miss a game this season, he'll have gone his entire 30s WITHOUT HAVING MISSED A SINGLE REGULAR SEASON GAME.  To date, he's played in 709 out of a possible 709 regular season games since turning 30.  And though his offensive numbers have declined a bit since the end of the 2013-14 season, they're still not bad...about 25 G and 25 A per 82 GP over the last four seasons, entering this one.  Assuming he manages to play in every game yet again in 2018-19, he'll be fifth on the NHL all-time games-played by season's end (he's currently 11th, but will move past Ray Bourque, Larry Murphy, Scott Stevens, Dave Andreychuk, Chris Chelios, and Mark Recchi).  And he'll be just 110 GP behind all-time leader Gordie Howe. 

Marleau is now 12 games away from having played every single regular season game possible throughout his 30s...as of right now, he's played in 774 regular season games...and out of 93 playoff games that his teams played during his 30s, he missed just one game.  867 out of 868 possible games.  Considering that the Devils can't even keep players in their 20s on the friggin' ice, makes one realize what a hell of an achievement that really is. 

As detailed previously, he's moved right up the All-Time Games Played list this year, and is on target to be 5th by season's end (8 more GP gets him there)...if he doesn't miss any games down the stretch, he'll finish with 1657 GP.  He has one more year left on his deal...if he manages to play every game next season (kinda hard to bet against him, even at 40), he'll move into third, though it will take him nearly the whole season to get there...he'll need 75 GP to pass #4 Ron Francis, and 77 GP to pass #3 Jaromir Jagr.  Hard to know if he plans on playing beyond next season (or if anyone's going to want him...he's clearly on the decline).  But to have a legit shot to come within a half-season of the all-time leader (Gordie Howe, with 1767 GP)...for a guy who's clearly nowhere near being an all-time great, but just for the most part kind just kept chugging along and being pretty good to occasionally better than that...gotta give him some props.

• Like 1

At another hockey forum I used to frequent a guy made a cool spreadsheet a few years back that outlined the playoff race and a detailed look at the standings including if teams were eliminated, if teams had clinched, and if not, what it would take for either of those scenarios to occur.  Sadly that guy isn't around anymore, but I always loved tracking it (even if our beloved team isn't in the race), so I decided to whip up my own small version.  Nothing fancy, and I did it in a rush just now before I have to head into a meeting, but here's what it looks like for the Eastern Conference so far:

There may be some errors in the calculations or formulas since I did this pretty quickly, so feel free to correct and/or comment.  I'm also open to suggestions if there are other relevant columns or information that should be added. 

I'll do the Western Conference later, and if I have time I'll try to update and post this daily.

EDIT: Updated with the Western Conference, and fixed the below noted error.

image.png

Edited by NJDfan1711