2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

Well the rest of hockey gets going well before we do so figured kick off this thread. I don’t remember my GDT record but down the stretch it was okay, obviously my last was a loss at some point so let someone else start the year off right. 

Still no suspension handed down on Wilson yet, can’t wait for that douche to miss 10 gam... no wait he’ll get less than we all expect and will continue to be Marchand without the talent...

Seattle looks to be the final vote away from being #32. Should be announced in December: https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-one-vote-away-from-becoming-nhl-s-32nd-home-1.1184804

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NLinfante said:

I'm interested to see what happens with Nylander in Toronto. They have some nice talent up front, but from what I've read online, this may not be over quickly. Personally, I thought it would have been done by now, one way or another.

Management has come out and said a couple times that they're 'definitely' not trading him.. but I wonder.

54 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Management has come out and said a couple times that they're 'definitely' not trading him.. but I wonder.

They have to say that. Especially while there is still hope. If you were making decisions in Toronto with the 3 guys they'll have to sign between this season and next, which one do you let go? I guess it's possible they take some kind of discount and all stay but idk. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

They have to say that. Especially while there is still hope. If you were making decisions in Toronto with the 3 guys they'll have to sign between this season and next, which one do you let go? I guess it's possible they take some kind of discount and all stay but idk. 

I saw some analysts on TSN i believe? saying they expect Marner to blow up this season and get 90-100 pts so that he'd be looking at 10m for his next contract.

Gotta love the Canadian medias

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NLinfante said:

I'm interested to see what happens with Nylander in Toronto. They have some nice talent up front, but from what I've read online, this may not be over quickly. Personally, I thought it would have been done by now, one way or another.

I think Nylander will blink .  They have enough firepower w/out him.  I wonder if Ray kicked the tires. That would give us 2 very good lines

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I think Nylander will blink .  They have enough firepower w/out him.  I wonder if Ray kicked the tires. That would give us 2 very good lines

Is it worth it to tender an offer with the compensation for an RFA in that price range? I am wondering if Toronto would say they're not interested just to see if teams throw an offer at him because they think they'd get more value that way if he does walk.

14 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So did the Steelers when asked about Le'veon Bell, until about a week or 2 ago.  Apparently, the 2 sides aren't in the same ballpark as they can't agree on comparables.  Toronto views him like Forsberg/Pasternak, with a value in the $6 million/year range, while his camp is looking for Draisaitl money.

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

So did the Steelers when asked about Le'veon Bell, until about a week or 2 ago.  Apparently, the 2 sides aren't in the same ballpark as they can't agree on comparables.  Toronto views him like Forsberg/Pasternak, with a value in the $6 million/year range, while his camp is looking for Draisaitl money.

They have to be entertaining trade offers at this point, or should be if this drags on for another week.  I can't tell if Capfriendly's number for next year includes Horton, but it's at around $49 million with only 11 players under contract, and doesn't include Matthews, Marner and Nylander.  You're talking about at least $27 million for all of them and it very well could get to $30 million.  And then they need legit defenseman, and I don't think they'll all be on ELCs.  

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Funny because I think this is even a stretch.   

Glad Wilson finally got smacked, he's by far the most predatory player in the league and the league needed to put their foot down. Hopefully he doesn't get a reduction from his appeal, because this suspension is about more than his hit on Sundqvist, it's about the fact that he just seems to refuse to learn or change.

• Like 1

I hadn't watched the play before. Absolutely a poor hit by Wilson, he could have leveled him with a perfectly legal check. 

And of course, he has a history of being a dirty scumbag on multiple occasions, including THREE suspensions last year. 4th suspension in 105 games played. 

It'll likely get reduced, but it shouldn't.