Sign in to follow this  
jagknife

2018-19 Around the League Thread

On 11/27/2018 at 10:46 PM, CommonDreads said:

Not that it really matters, I'd eat my shoe if we actually traded for Nylander, but going over the what if is still a fun exercise.

This belongs over in the betting thread. I'll expect video if it happens. 

• Like 2

I just can't imagine the Leafs let him sit out the whole year and waste a year of his development / production.

I think they come to an agreement right before the deadline.

Zykov on waivers, 23 yo with similar skillset to zacha, with the right fit can be a solid addition.

Another game, another pointless night for Kovy.  This guy's gonna do harm to his legacy - when he left the NHL he was exactly a point per game player, I think 872 in 872 games or something like that.  I hate him for what he did to us, but I used to love watching him play and now it looks like he may truly not longer be a good fit for this league. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Another game, another pointless night for Kovy.  This guy's gonna do harm to his legacy - when he left the NHL he was exactly a point per game player, I think 872 in 872 games or something like that.  I hate him for what he did to us, but I used to love watching him play and now it looks like he may truly not longer be a good fit for this league. 

That game was actually a bit better for him, in some ways...he did register four shots on goal.  He got some more ice time in this game than he did in the two previous, so maybe he's starting to fight his way out of the doghouse.  But yeah, 11 games and counting...LA sure as hell didn't sign up for THAT. 

Not really sure Kovy had much of a legacy, in spite of the nice glamour numbers...he spent a big chunk of his career being a one-way player who had a ton of shortcomings in the rest of his game, then came to NJ and became more rounded (thanks to Lemaire), but just when it seemed like he was all-in for the long haul, the lockout happens, and he decides he no longer wants to play out the contract that the Devils bent over backwards to sign him to.  If he has any legacy at all, I'd say it's for playing well on a stacked team in an inferior league.  Now he looks like a guy who forgot how much better the NHL really is. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That game was actually a bit better for him, in some ways...he did register four shots on goal.  He got some more ice time in this game than he did in the two previous, so maybe he's starting to fight his way out of the doghouse.  But yeah, 11 games and counting...LA sure as hell didn't sign up for THAT. 

Not really sure Kovy had much of a legacy, in spite of the nice glamour numbers...he spent a big chunk of his career being a one-way player who had a ton of shortcomings in the rest of his, then came to NJ and became more rounded (thanks to Lemaire), but just when it seemed like he was all-in for the long haul, the lockout happens, and he decides he no longer wants to play out the contract that the Devils bent over backwards to sign him to.  If he has any legacy at all, I'd say it's for playing well on a stacked team in an inferior league.  Now he looks like a guy who forgot how much better the NHL really is. 

Can't argue with much of that.  To me his legacy was the fact that he was the first Russian every taken 1st overall in the draft, and when he came into the league he was seen as a pure sniper, which I think he was.  Personal feelings for him aside, the guy could skate seamlessly into the zone like very few others, and he was always a constant threat when on the ice, pretty much from any area.  Part of my definitely didn't want him to succeed when he returned, so I'm not at all sad to see this happen really, but had he actually lit it up upon his return here, I have to admit, the hockey fan in me probably would have marveled at that, because I do appreciate the skill he had/has.

30 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

As we say in Staten Island, fvck that guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilzz89 said:

Zykov on waivers, 23 yo with similar skillset to zacha, with the right fit can be a solid addition.

We should jump all over that, another Zacha is exactly what we are missing. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Oilers claimed Zykov.

FML

Cool, now McDavid is available. 

Surprised he made it past so many teams to Edmonton, to be honest.

Rumor mill is that Nylander verbal agreement has been reached.  6 years at 7M, seems like market value.

Nothing confirmed, of course.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Surprised he made it past so many teams to Edmonton, to be honest.

Rumor mill is that Nylander verbal agreement has been reached.  6 years at 7M, seems like market value.

Nothing confirmed, of course.

Kind of ponderous that he had to sit out for training camp plus three months to get what I agree is probably market value. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Kind of ponderous that he had to sit out for training camp plus three months to get what I agree is probably market value. 

I'm guessing he was asking for 8 or 9, the Leafs knew they couldn't do it (or maybe didn't want to, but couldn't either way), and eventually he knew that, didn't want to sit out the whole season, and opted to settle for what is, like you said, FMV.

40 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm guessing he was asking for 8 or 9, the Leafs knew they couldn't do it (or maybe didn't want to, but couldn't either way), and eventually he knew that, didn't want to sit out the whole season, and opted to settle for what is, like you said, FMV.

I'm all for taking a shot, but sitting out all of camp and more than a quarter of the season as a 22 year old? He probably needed the extra 2 million annually for alterations to his pants to accommodate his huge balls. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm all for taking a shot, but sitting out all of camp and more than a quarter of the season as a 22 year old? He probably needed the extra 2 million annually for alterations to his pants to accommodate his huge balls. 

Exactly.  That's kind of what I was saying a day or two ago.  Just sort of rubbed me the wrong way for there to already be these types of issues.  I think Evander Kane was more character related than financial, but this sort of screams drama to me in a similar way.  No thanks.

many people are saying he won't end the season in Toronto and be traded before the deadline. I've been saying that Philly is making a push. Well... of course they are

So in other news, Rutgers had fvcking Gritty show up to fvck around at half time tonight at a basketball game.

No joke, I'll be contacting my ticket rep.  I can't stand this sh!t - we're in NJ.  fvcking 30 minutes from where the Devils play and they decide to bring in the Flyers mascot.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So in other news, Rutgers had fvcking Gritty show up to fvck around at half time tonight at a basketball game.

No joke, I'll be contacting my ticket rep.  I can't stand this sh!t - we're in NJ.  fvcking 30 minutes from where the Devils play and they decide to bring in the Flyers mascot.

He hit that halfcourt shot though

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Why would you talk to a ticket rep about that? Are they really going to care about that at all?

Edited by mfitz804

16 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Based on this comment I'm going to assume that your name is Karen, that you have a Hillary Clinton kind of haircut and that you want to speak with the manager.....

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nylander signed an extension. Yawn.

six-year, $41.4M deal

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nylander signed an extension. Yawn.

Guess they didn't want Zacha?

Resigned 6 years @ 41.4M. The extension has a current season average annual value (AAV) of $10.2M and an out-year (years 2-6) AAV of $6.9M.

Edited by titans04

Toronto is going to be in cap trouble during the offseason with both Marner and Matthews needing to be re-signed. Here comes an opportunity for Ray.