2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The next book to be thrown is in that rat's direction. He won't be able to help himself from being a piece of sh!t. I give him 2 months at most.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The next book to be thrown is in that rat's direction. He won't be able to help himself from being a piece of sh!t. I give him 2 months at most.

It didn't look so bad live. Skip to about 1:03 in that clip and you'll see the beginning part where Marchand basically mugs the guy. 

I had that game on for about 5 minutes and in that time, Marchand was penalized for slew footing a guy, which is his main move. 100 times more likely to result in an injury than just throwing some punches, too. He is a piece of garbage. 

They should let him and Wilson kill each other. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

It didn't look so bad live. Skip to about 1:03 in that clip and you'll see the beginning part where Marchand basically mugs the guy. 

I had that game on for about 5 minutes and in that time, Marchand was penalized for slew footing a guy, which is his main move. 100 times more likely to result in an injury than just throwing some punches, too. He is a piece of garbage. 

They should let him and Wilson kill each other. 

I agree on the slew-footing stuff and Marchand has been a repeat offender his ENTIRE CAREER. He's dirty.

I don't think the fight itself was all that bad. The reason for it was petty, and Lars Eller doesn't fight so Marchand was happy to target him. Marchand is going to do something egregious that will get the DOPS involved in short order and I hope they finally hit him hard. I don't care how talented his is, he's a joke and his antics completely overshadow any of the good things he has done. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Seems like a good choice.  Young, talented up-and-coming player.  15 captains doesn't seem like a lot though, especially when they were so bad for most of the 90s and early 2000s, when you figure they probably would've went through quite a few.  How many have we had?

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Seems like a good choice.  Young, talented up-and-coming player.  15 captains doesn't seem like a lot though, especially when they were so bad for most of the 90s and early 2000s, when you figure they probably would've went through quite a few.  How many have we had?

I would think Alexi Yashin, Michael Peca, and Doug Weight prob took up a lot of the time through their awful 00s era. I guess that is still a lot for a 10 year-ish period.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I would think Alexi Yashin, Michael Peca, and Doug Weight prob took up a lot of the time through their awful 00s era. I guess that is still a lot for a 10 year-ish period.

True.  I was just thinking, whenever the Isles came into the league (the expansion that they came in with was in 67, I think, right?), that 15 games in 50 years didn't seem like a big number.  But I guess that's a captain every 3 or 4 years or so, which is probably average, I would guess.  Still curious how many we've had, especially in a shorter period.  Feel like we have had at least 10, but I could be wrong. Stevens took up a good 10 years or so just on his own.  I guess I was just thinking that some teams seem to go through a new captain every year for what seems like 2 or 3 years or more consecutively, when they're sucking, or guys getting traded or leaving from free agency, so figured that number would add up quickly.  I mean, we went without a true captain for a couple years in the last half decade or so when things were bleak, right?  I'm thinking in terms of when Elias was kinda the roaming captain, and a couple other guys I think filled in too (can't remember who).

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

One too few. 

#HallForPresident

Amen to that.

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Official franchise list:

All captains in franchise history

It's 11 by my count since the move to NJ. 

I was literally just reading that list as well - I counted 18 because I was curious how many we had total, even before the Devils.  Looking at the Isles list, it's indeed 15, and they've had some crazy stability with captaincy basically their entire existence.  Kinda sucks that we've had 18 in a little over 40 years, and they've had 15 in 50.

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was literally just reading that list as well - I counted 18 because I was curious how many we had total, even before the Devils.  Looking at the Isles list, it's indeed 15, and they've had some crazy stability with captaincy basically their entire existence.  Kinda sucks that we've had 18 in a little over 40 years, and they've had 15 in 50.

Wasn't there a gap in NJ where the team didn't have a C for like 4 years? I thought they eventually gave it to Elias and took it away...or maybe they took it away and that is what started the long period of no C. Those years are getting so blurry for me. It's is hard to believe that on opening night at the Rock Jay Pandolfo and Jamie Langenbrunner were still Devils. It feels like a million years ago now. Brian Gionta too!

Edited by NJDevils1214

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Wasn't there a gap in NJ where the team didn't have a C for like 4 years? I thought they eventually gave it to Elias and took it away...or maybe they took it away and that is what started the long period of no C. Those years are getting so blurry for me. It's is hard to believe that on opening night at the Rock Jay Pandolfo and Jamie Langenbrunner were still Devils. It feels like a million years ago now. Brian Gionta too!

According to that list, 05-06 was the only year we didn't have a captain, but I feel like ever since Stevens retired after 03-04, and Niedermayer took over, there was a ton of gray area and back and forth.  Elias (along with Langenbrunner, who was the other name I was thinking of) kind of went back and forth for a while I think, either each having the C, or rotating with no C and three A's.  If you think about it, that's really when the number of our captains shot up - we went through 6 different captains between 04 and 16 (Nieds, Langenbrunner, Elias, Parise, Salvador, Greene).  That's half the total number of captains we've had since the team's existence.  

Also, I can't believe Driver was only captain for one year.  I thought he was at least 2 or 3.  I guess it was Muller for those years.

Every day that goes by with Nylander unsigned gives me some hope Ray might be able to pull something off.  I don't see Nylander budging on his asking price, nor should he. I'm not sure if he is worth 2 firsts, a second, and a third round pick, but the longer it goes on the worse it is for Toronto.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree on the slew-footing stuff and Marchand has been a repeat offender his ENTIRE CAREER. He's dirty.

I don't think the fight itself was all that bad. The reason for it was petty, and Lars Eller doesn't fight so Marchand was happy to target him. Marchand is going to do something egregious that will get the DOPS involved in short order and I hope they finally hit him hard. I don't care how talented his is, he's a joke and his antics completely overshadow any of the good things he has done. 

Talent can never make up for his scummy attitude and behavior..

21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Marchand is a scumbag/dirty player. But a lil in his defense,  Eller turned to & taunted the Bruin bench after goal # 6.  Uncool as well.  Does Marchard seem to target non fighters. He doesn't have McQuaid to be his back any more. 

12 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe.

What is the Sens brass thinking? "Well, we hurt our fans mentally and emotionally.... now let's hurt them physically!". 

...and Colorado has their first. I really feel for those fans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1