Sign in to follow this  
jagknife

2018-19 Around the League Thread

On 12/30/2018 at 5:47 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Oilers fans are going nuts over this one. Manning was the guy who broke McDavids Collarbone, and who McDavid called completely classless. Also people have said McDavid is good friend with both Caggiula and Garrison. 

Couldn't actually make up how bad Chiarella is at times. 

We all know how some fans can be. From what I read, McDavid gave his Blessing on the trade, and was one of the first, if not first, to call Manning himself. 

On 12/29/2018 at 9:29 PM, mfitz804 said:

Aw man couldn't you have done Icehouse instead? lol

On 12/31/2018 at 8:28 PM, jagknife said:

Stars to host the 2020 winter classic. Should be announced tomorrow. 

I’d have them play the Wild but I’m betting it’s the Pens cause NHL

Blackhawks... 

Honest to God didn't even know there was an outdoor game the other day.  I just do not care - the novelty has completely worn off.  Doesn't help that it seems to be the same 3-4 recycled teams every year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Honest to God didn't even know there was an outdoor game the other day.  I just do not care - the novelty has completely worn off.  Doesn't help that it seems to be the same 3-4 recycled teams every year.

The stadium series also watered it down a bit. Was kind of "Yea your teams don't generate enough money to put in the Winter Classic, so we'll throw you a bone here" kind of move. They had like 4 or 5 outdoor games that year. I'm right there with you. All Star game is poop and so is WC. Either keep the season going or just let them go to the Olympics. These events are obvious money grabs for high REV teams.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I like the Winter Classic game still, I think it's a cool and unique event to do once a year and spread it out through as many teams as possible each year, but I agree, and never liked the idea of the Heritage Classic/Stadium Series games or whatever they call them.  I didn't see the point and like you, felt that it watered down the Winter Classic and made it less special.

22 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Do you guys even care about the All Star game? I certainly don't. Looks like Alex Ovechkin is facing a 1 game suspension for sitting it out.

https://www.tsn.ca/ovechkin-backs-out-of-all-star-game-will-sit-one-game-1.1234754

I'm not quite sure when the All Star game lost me but I haven't enjoyed it in years.

I'm one of the few people who seems to enjoy the All-Star Game.  I don't plan my day around it or anything, but if I'm home and I notice it's on, I'll stop on that channel and watch some of it.  I don't particularly care for the new format of 4 teams and having them do small/mini games to eventually get to some type of 'championship', but I still enjoy seeing the best of the best play against each other, and with each other.  I guess I've always found it interesting to see how the other best around the league would play with each other...you know, whether they'd actually play better, or perhaps not have much chemistry and not be as dominant as you'd think.  You never know.

I think it's definitely more of an allure for kids and when you're younger.  I think as a child growing up and loving the sport, you're developing your idols and even guys you don't necessarily like, but still respect their game, so it gives you a chance to see other great players from around the league.  I've always been an Eastern Conference guy obviously because of the Devils and also living geographically on this coast, so for me growing up I didn't see or know much about some of the Western Conference teams back when there was no internet and a lot less media publication.  The All-Star game was a chance for me to see them play on national TV surrounded by so much other talent and guys I know a lot better.

I like the skills competition much more than the actual All Star game itself. 

I wonder how Wood would stack up against the fastest skaters around the league? If he didn’t fall down of course. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I like the skills competition much more than the actual All Star game itself. 

I wonder how Wood would stack up against the fastest skaters around the league? If he didn’t fall down of course. 

Dude has to wear an extra set of long johns under his equipment because he spends so much time lying on the ice.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah, I'd probably watch WC every year if they went with 2 unique opponents each year. I have zero interest in watching Boston or Chicago for the 19th time and hearing their interviews about how "great" playing outdoors is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Yeah, I'd probably watch WC every year if they went with 2 unique opponents each year. I have zero interest in watching Boston or Chicago for the 19th time and hearing their interviews about how "great" playing outdoors is.

I watched this year’s game mostly cause the one son loves to sit in his bouncer and watch hockey. Gave me a bit of a break. But I’m beyond sick of seeing the Blackhawks seemingly every damn season and hearing the same practically canned answer from Kane or Toews about how special it is for them. Bitch, you’ve been in what feels like half of the outdoor games. I’d accept it as special if it came from almost anyone but you or Crosby

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I watched this year’s game mostly cause the one son loves to sit in his bouncer and watch hockey. Gave me a bit of a break. But I’m beyond sick of seeing the Blackhawks seemingly every damn season and hearing the same practically canned answer from Kane or Toews about how special it is for them. Bitch, you’ve been in what feels like half of the outdoor games. I’d accept it as special if it came from almost anyone but you or Crosby

I.e., the favorite one lol. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

The bolded would help, but I readily admit, whatever buzz those games had for me died a long time ago.  It seemed so cool a while back.  If the Devils ever play in another one though, I might consider going...didn't go the last time. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded would help, but I readily admit, whatever buzz those games had for me died a long time ago.  It seemed so cool a while back.  If the Devils ever play in another one though, I might consider going...didn't go the last time. 

I’m gonna do my best to make the trip to Colorado for the Stadium Series game at the AFA. It’s a bit of a hike from where i live but a few friends would easily jump at the chance to go.

I’m predicting it’ll be the red wings to try and reinvigorate the rivalry from the late 90’s

Posted (edited)

Thought this was cool, some clown hassled Sid all night at msg-

Edited by titans04

2 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Thought this was cool, some clown hassled Sid all night t msg-

Reward the heckling guy. That will shut up all hecklers forward going, brilliant move!

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Boy you really missed it - nothing better than sitting in freezing rain and snow watching the Devils, and Brodeur especially, completely sh!t the bed in New York City!

The subway ride back to Penn Station was a blast, I can tell you that much. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Boy you really missed it - nothing better than sitting in freezing rain and snow watching the Devils, and Brodeur especially, completely sh!t the bed in New York City!

The subway ride back to Penn Station was a blast, I can tell you that much. 

I was at my best bud's house watching the game, and he happens to be a Ranger fan...yeah, that was a brutal day for sure.  That was also the game where I decided that I was 150% fine with Marty not being a Devil after that season...if he wanted to keep playing somewhere else, fine, but though it had already become clear that it was time for both Marty and the Devils to move on from each other, it was that game that was the exclamation point for me.  And his postgame quotes just made it worse. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I was at the SS game the Devils played in at Yankee Stadium.  I got myself and my wife bleacher tickets which were only the 3rd cheapest price point in the house.  Thankfully I had enough foresight to bring a blanket to put on the bleacher.  It was cold and miserable.  The game was delayed an hour due to sun glare (how did they not figure that would happen?) and even the intermission "entertainment" was garbage (Southside Johnny lol).  Also our angle was so bad we ended up watching almost the entire game from the scoreboard.  We eventually left right before the 3rd period started because we were just so damn cold.

Never again will I ever go to an outdoor Devils game. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I was at the SS game the Devils played in at Yankee Stadium.  I got myself and my wife bleacher tickets which were only the 3rd cheapest price point in the house.  Thankfully I had enough foresight to bring a blanket to put on the bleacher.  It was cold and miserable.  The game was delayed an hour due to sun glare (how did they not figure that would happen?) and even the intermission "entertainment" was garbage (Southside Johnny lol).  Also our angle was so bad we ended up watching almost the entire game from the scoreboard.  We eventually left right before the 3rd period started because we were just so damn cold.

Never again will I ever go to an outdoor Devils game. 

I exercise outdoors twice a day (speed-walking/jogging) from 7:00 - 8:00 am and 12:15 - 1:00 pm (as long as it's not pouring rain or too snowy...temperature doesn't stop me, cold or hot)...admittedly, as far as the cold days go, the fact that I'm moving the whole time helps a ton...I actually prefer a window of about 35-60 degrees F.  I think it would be a lot tougher just standing still, especially on a bitter bitter cold day (think less than 20 degrees F).  Of course it's a roll of the dice...a January day could be 15 degrees F, could be 50 degrees F.  But yeah, you can definitely get a miserable wintry kind of day.  I went to a Patriots-Jets game on 12/15/91, at the Meadowlands (a butt-ugly 6-3 Pats win), and that was one of the coldest games I ever went to...not only was it in the low 20s (tops), it was friggin' windy as hell...25+ mph winds the whole game.  I bought knishes just to warm my fingers.  I went to a pair of miserable weather games during the Pats' 16-0 season too (both in December)...up in NE against the Jets (some nice early morning snow turned into sleet BBs, which made everything on the ground slushy and awful), and in Baltimore (as cold and windy as it could get...I shivered the entire time...I didn't think my face could get that numb).  The older I get, the less patience I have for outdoor freezing sh!tty-weather sporting events...I've been to my share of April Mets games, and they can be pretty nasty and raw too.  I'd just rather watch on TV and have easy access to chow and Scotch. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I exercise outdoors twice a day (speed-walking/jogging) from 7:00 - 8:00 am and 12:15 - 1:00 pm (as long as it's not pouring rain or too snowy...temperature doesn't stop me, cold or hot)...admittedly, as far as the cold days go, the fact that I'm moving the whole time helps a ton...I actually prefer a window of about 35-60 degrees F.  I think it would be a lot tougher just standing still, especially on a bitter bitter cold day (think less than 20 degrees F).  Of course it's a roll of the dice...a January day could be 15 degrees F, could be 50 degrees F.  But yeah, you can definitely get a miserable wintry kind of day.  I went to a Patriots-Jets game on 12/15/91, at the Meadowlands (a butt-ugly 6-3 Pats win), and that was one of the coldest games I ever went to...not only was it in the low 20s (tops), it was friggin' windy as hell...25+ mph winds the whole game.  I bought knishes just to warm my fingers.  I went to a pair of miserable weather games during the Pats' 16-0 season too (both in December)...up in NE against the Jets (some nice early morning snow turned into sleet BBs, which made everything on the ground slushy and awful), and in Baltimore (as cold and windy as it could get...I shivered the entire time...I didn't think my face could get that numb).  The older I get, the less patience I have for outdoor freezing sh!tty-weather sporting events...I've been to my share of April Mets games, and they can be pretty nasty and raw too.  I'd just rather watch on TV and have easy access to chow and Scotch. 

From what I remember, the temps that day topped out at around 25 degrees.  I was wearing 6 layers of clothes/jackets and as well as hand warmers and that barely made a dent.  It was miserable.

Kovalchuk now without a point in five straight, has exactly 3 points in his last 18 GP.  How badly are you missing the K there pal? 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kovalchuk now without a point in five straight, has exactly 3 points in his last 18 GP.  How badly are you missing the K there pal? 

I said to my buddy who is a huge Lightning fan last night that I saw they beat up on the Kings 6-2 yesterday, and also said that I was so glad that Kovalfvck has no shot at the playoffs this year.  It's even funnier that, not only is he on a bad team, but he's on the team that's dead last in the league.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You know the almost automatic lecture you give me all the time about not letting go and asking why I keep trying to bring down someone who isn't even here anymore........................................