Sign in to follow this  
jagknife

2018-19 Around the League Thread

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just because. 

What was great about that whole mess is that the Rangers needed one damned win to clinch with five games left on their schedule...and they lost every game.  And of course the Devils sweeping them meant they ended their 2005-06 season with nine straight losses. 

Don't know if you ever used to frequent the ESPN message boards, but the Flyer fans saw the Devils go down 3-0 to the Canadiens, and they thought THEY had wrapped up the Atlantic at that point...it was funny watching them all lose their sh!t once the Devils came back to win.  Yeah, was a crazy crazy fun ride...and man did it come to an abrupt end once the friggin' Candy Canes rolled in.  But 15 straight wins...oh the memories...

• Like 1

Oohhh I'd take Huberdeau in a heartbeat if the Panthers were stupid enough to trade him.

Great contract, oodles of talent.

Edit: Oh this is in relation to trading him to the Jackets, not to clear space.  Nevermind.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just because. 

That video was from 2005-06, and looks like it was from 85-86.  

• Like 4

Also, I miss the smile that Brodeur had on his face, and some of the other guys, after the clock struck 0:00.  You just knew they were going to win, and there was so much confidence.  We have almost none of that know.

I miss the coaching staff's attitude too - Lemaire and Co. - looked just like business as usual as they strolled off the bench. They did their job and accomplished their task, now they knew they had to go on to the Rangers and into the playoffs.  We need more of that.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, I miss the smile that Brodeur had on his face, and some of the other guys, after the clock struck 0:00.  You just knew they were going to win, and there was so much confidence.  We have almost none of that know.

I miss the coaching staff's attitude too - Lemaire and Co. - looked just like business as usual as they strolled off the bench. They did their job and accomplished their task, now they knew they had to go on to the Rangers and into the playoffs.  We need more of that.

That's Lou, not Lemaire.  Lemaire didn't come back to NJ until the 2009-10 season.  He was coaching the Wild in 2005-06. 

It was just a different era of Devils hockey.  Still a nice chunk of players who weren't far removed from a Cup (only three years), though they managed to wear out poor Larry Robinson that year.  That's why Lou jumped behind the bench (helped that time, not so much the other times he tried it).  And then of course Elias comes back and is absolutely terrific. 

Current team is still trying to figure themselves out and put something together.  We know Shero didn't inherit a whole lot (at either the NHL or AHL levels), and one of his seemingly "sure thing" pieces (Cory) is as far from "sure thing" as it gets.  We'd all like "more of that" (as in what we saw in 2005-06), but it's going to take some more time.     

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That video was from 2005-06, and looks like it was from 85-86.  

We all think of hockey in high definition now. 

• Like 1

I went down to Raleigh for game 5 of that series. What an absolute waste of fvcking time that was. Hate that team, city and their whole fan base. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

We all think of hockey in high definition now. 

That was the first year I had hockey in HD, I don't remember the regular season and earlier rounds but the finals definitely were in HD. 

14 hours ago, titans04 said:

Good.

Malkin embodies the "spoiler superstar" that I truly despise.  He's dirty as fvck but gets by on his reputation alone.

Or at least, has in the past.  Let's be clear - if a plug swung his stick at another player's face like that he'd be gone at least 5 games without even thinking about it.

• Like 2

McDavid vs. Crosby tonight. That’s appointment TV.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

McDavid vs. Crosby tonight. That’s appointment TV.

Will definitely have to tune in.  Two very different sensational players.

I wish McDavid was with a different team though.  It's a shame that the best years of, probably, one of the best players ever is going to be wasted on the Oilers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

75DDABCB-F014-4111-853F-51B4DC2E3372.jpeg

In hindsight, thank God that guy bolted, would have been a Yashin 2.0 situation. 

• Like 1

Wonder how far behind the NHL will be in doing something like this. Real time ads on jerseys will be their real motive for doing this but my lord what an eye sore that would be... 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Wonder how far behind the NHL will be in doing something like this. Real time ads on jerseys will be their real motive for doing this but my lord what an eye sore that would be... 

Technology is ruining sports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's kind of cool.  Totally unnecessary right now, but cool.

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

I think it's kind of cool.  Totally unnecessary right now, but cool.

Sadly, more people likely agree with you, which is why leagues do sh!t like this. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Technology is ruining sports.

I think it's pretty stupid too, but how would it even work?  I assume it's some type of LED/computer board lightly embedded into the jersey or fabric, but with most sports, especially hockey, wouldn't it just break from any contact?  I can't picture a player being checked into the boards and that thing surviving or still working.  

The logistics of it aside though, I do think it's really dumb and hope it never makes it's way to the NHL.

• Like 1