Jump to content

2018-19 Around the League Thread


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

Not a single game on a Friday night. Well done NHL schedule planners, well done!

Yeah I typically scroll through the schedule a few days in advance to see if there's any games I might want to catch coming up, particularly on the weekends if I'm either at the bar or in general can just stay up later to watch since I don't have to get up early the next day, and when I saw there were literally zero games on this night I was pretty stunned.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  Brand new season, a week in, and they don't have even one game on.  Pretty embarrassing and a glaring oversight if you ask me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice (but long) article on Pat Maroon & why he chose StL:  http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24931004/nhl-patrick-maroon-decision-sign-st-louis-blues-betting-familial-ties SNIPPET:  Maroon e

Mojo is still in the hospital this morning. If the Bruins want to be pissed about their damaged goods, they can look no further than the dirty piece of rat sh!t wearing number 63 for them

Doc rules. Really miss him.   

Posted Images

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I typically scroll through the schedule a few days in advance to see if there's any games I might want to catch coming up, particularly on the weekends if I'm either at the bar or in general can just stay up later to watch since I don't have to get up early the next day, and when I saw there were literally zero games on this night I was pretty stunned.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  Brand new season, a week in, and they don't have even one game on.  Pretty embarrassing and a glaring oversight if you ask me.

Even if that dogsh!t other league that starts around now and ends after we do, started tonight, we should have had an NBC garbage game of Florida vs Arizona to reel all those other viewers in

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is pretty lame as far as the subject, good article and video on TSN though:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-on-watson-appeal-we-are-disappointed-1.1190739

His suspension should have been reduced more, as there was very little physical contact involved.  I know recent events suggest I’m crazy, but I believe you should, y’know, look at what someone actually did in meting out punishment. 

The league is obviously trying to set the table for a de facto life time ban for Voynov, which would not be unjustified. It just made a mistake in trying to make an example of someone who shouldn’t have been made an example of.

Edited by Daniel
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I typically scroll through the schedule a few days in advance to see if there's any games I might want to catch coming up, particularly on the weekends if I'm either at the bar or in general can just stay up later to watch since I don't have to get up early the next day, and when I saw there were literally zero games on this night I was pretty stunned.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  Brand new season, a week in, and they don't have even one game on.  Pretty embarrassing and a glaring oversight if you ask me.

I guess we will just watch some movies....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Islanders have signed Stephen Gionta, yet again - 1 year, 2-way. 

@AGrossNewsday  #Isles Lou Lamoriello on Stephen Gionta, signed off a PTO today: "He wasn’t in our plans at all this year and asked to come to camp and certainly just stuck with it the whole time...He’ll go to Bridgeport and certainly will teach young players how to be pros." 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 1:14 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

The Islanders have signed Stephen Gionta, yet again - 1 year, 2-way. 

@AGrossNewsday  #Isles Lou Lamoriello on Stephen Gionta, signed off a PTO today: "He wasn’t in our plans at all this year and asked to come to camp and certainly just stuck with it the whole time...He’ll go to Bridgeport and certainly will teach young players how to be pros." 

Uncle Lou sure likes things familiar to him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Uncle Lou sure likes things familiar to him.

In fairness to Lou, if his plan is to have a hard worker like Gionta be a good influence and help to show some kids what it takes to make it to the NHL someday, I can't kill him for that.  At least it doesn't sound like the plan for him is to get much time with the big club (unless a lot of guys go down with injuries, anyway). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for Edmonton, two and a half weeks into the season and they still haven't had their home opener.   I also don't get the scheduling for Tampa.  Us and Edmonton have only played 3 games, which is understandable because we are the two that went overseas to Sweden, but Tampa has only played 3 games as well, and they also haven't been on the road yet either.  Just doesn't make much sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

President's Trophy?  Very meh, and I would NEVER want the Devils to put up a PT Banner...but that doesn't make me quite as ill as

I wouldn't mind a presidents trophy banner, it's still a tough accomplishment. I just don't want a ceremony for it like Nashville did. Just have it hung up already and throw a spotlight on it for 10 seconds like we always did for our banners that weren't Stanley Cup banners. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wouldn't mind a presidents trophy banner, it's still a tough accomplishment. I just don't want a ceremony for it like Nashville did. Just have it hung up already and throw a spotlight on it for 10 seconds like we always did for our banners that weren't Stanley Cup banners. 

It is probably different for teams that haven't won much of anything yet. I can understand them wanting to get a little morale boost from their achievement and give their fans something to cheer about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The President's trophy is the one team accomplishment this franchise has yet to capture.  We have come close at 2-3 times where we were runners-up, but it has eluded us.  I wouldn't mind a banner for it, but I agree with SH that it shouldn't be more than a quick acknowledgement of it for 10-30 seconds and then getting on with it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Good, it was a cheap shot. I've liked what I've seen from Pettersson so far. 

The hit itself was fine, it was the ‘fvck you’ toss to the ice at the end that’s the issue. To be honest, if Pettersson didn’t end up with a concussion, no one would’ve even given it a second thought. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The hit itself was fine, it was the ‘fvck you’ toss to the ice at the end that’s the issue. To be honest, if Pettersson didn’t end up with a concussion, no one would’ve even given it a second thought. 

Yeah the choke slam type move was the cheap shot I was talking about. Just no reason for that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The hit itself was fine, it was the ‘fvck you’ toss to the ice at the end that’s the issue. To be honest, if Pettersson didn’t end up with a concussion, no one would’ve even given it a second thought. 

 

32 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah the choke slam type move was the cheap shot I was talking about. Just no reason for that. 

Agreed. They got it exactly right. I think the stick between the legs might have been worthy of a penalty, he kind of used that as leverage to pin him and I think that was worth two minutes for interference, since the puck was gone. 

But you can’t defend the body slam. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.