jagknife

2018-19 Around the League Thread

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Offer sheet Matthews - Toronto is forced to match.

Offer sheet Marner - Toronto cannot feasibly match.

Profit.

Are either/both of those guys likely to be over the threshold where it would cost us 4 first round picks? $10,418,302? My assumption is Matthews is. Not sure about Marner. 

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Offer sheet Matthews - Toronto is forced to match.

Offer sheet Marner - Toronto cannot feasibly match.

Profit.

I'm not sure Marner does enough to justify losing those picks + overpaying on salary.  Great player but adding another dynamic undersized winger doesn't exactly make us a powerhouse.  Adding Matthews would have a trickle down effect and slots a lot of other guys currently on the team more appropriately.   At that point, I wouldn't worry that any of those 4 1sts we would have to give up would be at the top end of the draft.   

Hall-Matthews-Bratt

Zacha-Hischier-Palmieri _ I still think Zacha is better suited to be a wing.  Based on memory he was more productive there his first two years.  

It will never happen but that's two pretty nasty lines and we would still have presumably a top 10 pick this year to help address the defense.    

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Are either/both of those guys likely to be over the threshold where it would cost us 4 first round picks? $10,418,302? My assumption is Matthews is. Not sure about Marner. 

To entice him to sign in NJ and actually have a chance to pry him free, it would be.   I think the Leafs would match on both and this chain of events would lead to the likes of the Nylanders and Kapanens being traded for guys on ELCs and picks.     

To get them to sign an offer sheet, I think you're looking at 13-14 for Matthews and 11 for Marner.     

Edited by Lateralous

6 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

To entice his to sign in NJ and actually have a chance to pry him free, it would be.   I think the Leafs would match on both and this chain of events would lead to the likes of the Nylanders and Kapanens being traded for guys on ELCs and picks.     

To get them to sign an offer sheet, I think you're looking at 13-14 for Matthews and 11 for Marner.     

Sounds about right. 

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I'm not sure Marner does enough to justify losing those picks + overpaying on salary.  Great player but adding another dynamic undersized winger doesn't exactly make us a powerhouse.  Adding Matthews would have a trickle down effect and slots a lot of other guys currently on the team more appropriately.   At that point, I wouldn't worry that any of those 4 1sts we would have to give up would be at the top end of the draft.   

Hall-Matthews-Bratt

Zacha-Hischier-Palmieri _ I still think Zacha is better suited to be a wing.  Based on memory he was more productive there his first two years.  

It will never happen but that's two pretty nasty lines and we would still have presumably a top 10 pick this year to help address the defense.    

Disagree about Zacha playing wing. If all we’re going to get out of him is his defense he’s best used at center. He’s never really been productive in the NHL. 8 goals for 24/25 points both of his first two seasons. 

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Been poking around Blue's fan forums (I tend to like their teams over the years) and their fans are in a very similar state to where ours are lol.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Been poking around Blue's fan forums (I tend to like their teams over the years) and their fans are in a very similar state to where ours are lol.

I can imagine... they must be SCREAMING for Quenneville and wondering why it hasn’t happened yet.

Shattenkirk out again, 2-4 weeks.  As bad as this season has been at times, I'm glad we sidestepped that landmine.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Shattenkirk out again, 2-4 weeks.  As bad as this season has been at times, I'm glad we sidestepped that landmine.  

8 points in 29GP...

Butcher & Severson>Shattenkirk 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

8 points in 29GP...

Butcher & Severson>Shattenkirk 

Going back to last season, it's now 14 points in his last 57 GP...he had 17 in his first 18 GP as a Ranger. 

I've brought it up before, but the lone saving grace is that his contract isn't abysmally long...only two years after this one.  Too bad...any disaster at the Rangers' expense is always a most welcome one. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/new-york-rangers-shattenkirk-still-struggling/

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Tarasenko has a cap hit of $7.5 million over the next five seasons (this one included).  He has a NTC that kicks in, starting next season.  Only 26 years old.

Any interest here?  Curious to see what the Blues would be looking for.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Zacha and Greene for Tarasenko and Maroon. The deal is two for two. 

How could they pass up on Zacha when he's on pace to have 0.0 assists for the season after 24 games played.

Edited by titans04

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tarasenko has a cap hit of $7.5 million over the next five seasons (this one included).  He has a NTC that kicks in, starting next season.  Only 26 years old.

Any interest here?  Curious to see what the Blues would be looking for.

I'd absolutely take him. Probably cost us a fortune, though

30 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I'd absolutely take him. Probably cost us a fortune, though

Yup. I would imagine Nico, Bratt and Butcher all being involved. It’s not like they’re Edmonton who would sell him for magic beans. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

Barclays center lights won't come on lol. What a dump. 

Yeah but at least they’re gonna finish, unlike when Pru did vs the Bolts in ‘08(?)