Sign in to follow this  
jagknife

2018-19 Around the League Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guy went 58th overall in the 2011 draft too...has more points than anyone else in that draft.  Hell of a pick.

Id definitely like to take a minute later to read what the experts said about him when picked, his pros and cons etc. and what Tampa fans thought of him. He's a hell of a player going at 58

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Posted (edited)

It's perfect that at a time when great players like Panarin and Tarasenko might be available in FA/trade the Devils pick it as the time to really suck major ass. It's great. Really wonderful stuff.

Edited by NJDevils1214

So from the looks of things, and exhaustion may be screwing with my brain here, the All Star jerseys will just be your team’s logo but on a Sharks jersey? And made from recycled (they call it up cycled) materials.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It's perfect that at a time when great players like Panarin and Tarasenko might be available in FA/trade the Devils pick it as the time to really suck major ass. It's great. Really wonderful stuff.

On this note, will be interesting to see what Tarasenko's trade value would be.  He's having a pretty miserable year, compared to his previous seasons...he's been especially meh (or a little unlucky) lately...just 8 points in his last 23 GP.  And the Blues aren't exactly swimming in cap space. 

If the Devils really want to go hard after Panarin, they have the money to offer him...they can outbid everyone (expect Columbus of course).  But it's starting to feel like getting one of the top and truly desirable UFAs in any given class isn't ever going to happen (though I'd love to be proven wrong on that one). 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On this note, will be interesting to see what Tarasenko's trade value would be.  He's having a pretty miserable year, compared to his previous seasons...he's been especially meh (or a little unlucky) lately...just 8 points in his last 23 GP.  And the Blues aren't exactly swimming in cap space. 

If the Devils really want to go hard after Panarin, they have the money to offer him...they can outbid everyone (expect Columbus of course).  But it's starting to feel like getting one of the top and truly desirable UFAs in any given class isn't ever going to happen (though I'd love to be proven wrong on that one). 

At the beginning of the year I would have believed that a Tarasenko/Panerin level of player would be a huge piece the Devils need to be over the "fringe playoff team" line. However, this season going how it has thus far has shown the team to be much further than I thought. I'm not sure if one of those guys + Hall/Nico could do enough to cover those issues. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

At the beginning of the year I would have believed that a Tarasenko/Panerin level of player would be a huge piece the Devils need to be over the "fringe playoff team" line. However, this season going how it has thus far has shown the team to be much further than I thought. I'm not sure if one of those guys + Hall/Nico could do enough to cover those issues. 

I don't think the team is that far from being a fringe playoff team (the Devils clearly have issues, but better goaltending will make a ton of difference...hope Mac is the real deal, and will soon be back healthy), but it's definitely a long way from being a legit SC contender.  There's some pretty beastly teams right now, and the Devils aren't anywhere near on that level.  Scoring a Panarin would help, but I'm not sure how much that really closes the gap.  You see teams like Tampa, Toronto, Pitt, Washington...there's just some friggin' really good teams out there right now.  And the Devils look like they have their hands full with just about ANY opponent these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

So from the looks of things, and exhaustion may be screwing with my brain here, the All Star jerseys will just be your team’s logo but on a Sharks jersey? And made from recycled (they call it up cycled) materials.

So weird and I totally want one. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

It’s sad to see how badly Wysh sold his soul to the corporate machine 

To be honest, Puck Soup is the only place I can hear Wysh still be Wysh nowadays. Think the podcast is much better now too with Ryan Lambert and Down Goes Brown as his co-hosts instead of Dave Lozo, I got kind of tired of Lozo's hate everything shtick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

it's getting fun in Columbus 

Cory Schneider would never do that. The trade is one for one. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

It’s sad to see how badly Wysh sold his soul to the corporate machine 

I remember when he was a poster here.... too bad he’s a total fraud, as it turns out. 

• Like 1

Brandon Pirri (10 points in 8 games) was sent to Chicago by Vegas today and less than an hour later was recalled.

It was the second time he had been demoted and recalled. Kinda surprising cause he’s been red hot for them

21 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Brandon Pirri (10 points in 8 games) was sent to Chicago by Vegas today and less than an hour later was recalled.

It was the second time he had been demoted and recalled. Kinda surprising cause he’s been red hot for them

hey listen if they aren't gonna use him, we have a perfectly good captain they can have for him

• Like 1

It would be great to land Panarin. But i doubt he'd come here. First of all he'd want to win... which is not a guarantee here... then he's a left winger... same as Hall... so only one of them would get our best centre to play with... and that's always what wingers look for when they switch team... which center they could play with... Hischier will be good but not sure he's attractive that much and well then it's Zacha or Zajac... 

Of course IF you can sign a guy like that, it's opening some possibilities that you can trade other assets and make moves... but we're still pretty thin and need to ADD to our roster... so anyone leaving is indeed leaving a hole...

Goddamnit. 

• Like 2

Erik Karlsson just saw a 14-game point streak come to an end, where he scored one goal and added...24 assists?!  Goddamn...

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Erik Karlsson just saw a 14-game point streak come to an end, where he scored one goal and added...24 assists?!  Goddamn...

Wasn't everyone saying he sucks this year just two weeks ago?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Some random stat said he wasn't good at something therefore he sucks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I was saying that I wasn't too keen on paying him a ton as a UFA, especially when he started slow...never said that he outright sucked though.   

It's insane how many assists he's been racking up lately. 

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was saying that I wasn't too keen on paying him a ton as a UFA, especially when he started slow...never said that he outright sucked though.   

It's insane how many assists he's been racking up lately. 

Yeah that’s crazy. I had no idea actually, I have t been paying attention to the teams out west. Or truthfully, those outside of New Jersey. 

Conor Garland has been scoring quite a bit since he joined the NHL, he has 2 2goals game in his last few games (well scored 1 goal off his face today... still counts lol). I wanted the Devils to take a chance on him in 2015 but Arizona picked him in the 5th round. Saw him play a lot for the Moncton Wildcats, he was producing like crazy but he was small and not great defensively so i wasnt sure he'd translate to the NHL but so far so good.

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Conor Garland has been scoring quite a bit since he joined the NHL, he has 2 2goals game in his last few games (well scored 1 goal off his face today... still counts lol). I wanted the Devils to take a chance on him in 2015 but Arizona picked him in the 5th round. Saw him play a lot for the Moncton Wildcats, he was producing like crazy but he was small and not great defensively so i wasnt sure he'd translate to the NHL but so far so good.

Yeah dude was gushing blood but he got credit for the goal so it's all good?