2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

32 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So the rumor on HFBoards is that a pretty well-connected person said that Nashville is 100% looking to move Subban this summer.

If the price was right, and by right I mean pretty low, would you consider it?  3 years at 9M per left on his current contract.

Apparently the reason Nashville wants to move him is salary related more than anything else, which usually indicates that you're willing to sell at a discount or at least for something inexpensive and they have Dante Fabbro who they're pretty high on.

So if we end up with one of the top two picks this year, I would trade our 2020 first not lottery protected, or at the most top 3 protected.  If we're picking below 2, I would trade our first lottery protected, Vatanen and McLeod.  Or maybe Severson and a second.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So the rumor on HFBoards is that a pretty well-connected person said that Nashville is 100% looking to move Subban this summer.

If the price was right, and by right I mean pretty low, would you consider it?  3 years at 9M per left on his current contract.

Idk let’s get @SterioDesign’s opinion lol

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I feel like that has been a rumor every summer since he was dealt out of MTL 

• 3 weeks later...

I was listening to some hockey podcast on Friday (probably Hockey Central or Leafs lunch) and they made an interesting comment about the Mitch Marner contract situation and how it relates back to Lou.   Apparently Marner is the only player drafted in the top 5 in the salary cap era to not have any schedule b bonuses in his entry level contract.  That was because Lou said the team had a policy against it.   The same issue came up a few months later with Matthews and Lou eventually caved.  

How it relates to now is that not having those bonuses has cost MM 1.6 million or something like that.  Basically his agent made the point that they feel like they already took a salary discount for the good of the team on the entry level deal.  Now they will be looking for full market value on this next bigger deal when the Leafs really need any hometown discount they can get.  

I think overall Lou’s strict policies were great for what was a gong show operation in Toronto when he got there but it’s funny to see one of his needless policies come back and bite the franchise in the ass.  It sounded like this new negotiation would have at least been a little easier if the Marner camp wasn’t going in with a sour feeling about how the ELC was handled 

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 7:56 AM, Lateralous said:

I was listening to some hockey podcast on Friday (probably Hockey Central or Leafs lunch) and they made an interesting comment about the Mitch Marner contract situation and how it relates back to Lou.   Apparently Marner is the only player drafted in the top 5 in the salary cap era to not have any schedule b bonuses in his entry level contract.  That was because Lou said the team had a policy against it.   The same issue came up a few months later with Matthews and Lou eventually caved.  

How it relates to now is that not having those bonuses has cost MM 1.6 million or something like that.  Basically his agent made the point that they feel like they already took a salary discount for the good of the team on the entry level deal.  Now they will be looking for full market value on this next bigger deal when the Leafs really need any hometown discount they can get.  

I think overall Lou’s strict policies were great for what was a gong show operation in Toronto when he got there but it’s funny to see one of his needless policies come back and bite the franchise in the ass.  It sounded like this new negotiation would have at least been a little easier if the Marner camp wasn’t going in with a sour feeling about how the ELC was handled 

Interesting the agent is being that forthcoming to begin with.  My gut instinct is telling me that this is just a ploy to put pressure on Leafs management rather than actual hard feelings.  There is no other reason for him to say this before a contract is signed with anyone.

Often times, what people say and what they eventually do are two different things.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Anyone listening to the dumpster fire that is a Sean Avery on Boomer & Gio this morning?

In all seriousness, he is much more bizarre than I even thought.

I picked it up and not sure if they talked about Marty or not

I listened to it.  No mention of Marty.  Didn't figure they would, that whole feud isn't really relevant anymore.  They basically touched on his role after hockey now, I guess he's doing something with bikes and being an advocate for safe roadways in the city of something.  They also mentioned his likeness to Marchand, since he's in the headlines over the last few seasons for antics similar to what that idiot used to pull.

They're both stupid.

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I listened to it.  No mention of Marty.  Didn't figure they would, that whole feud isn't really relevant anymore.  They basically touched on his role after hockey now, I guess he's doing something with bikes and being an advocate for safe roadways in the city of something.  They also mentioned his likeness to Marchand, since he's in the headlines over the last few seasons for antics similar to what that idiot used to pull.

They're both stupid.

Avery posts on IG anytime he's in a bike lane and someone in the city is blocking it with a car or truck. The one I watched, out of morbid curiosity to see how big of a douche he was, he actually had a point at the delivery truck he was calling out. There was an entire open side of the street where he was supposed to park on but the box truck was on the wrong side, blocking the path.

I also gave Avery some plus-points for sh!tting all over the Islanders fans, Frankie Borelli from Barstool specifically, in a calm manner in their debate on Spittin Chiclets a few weeks back. Especially when Borelli, the tool that he is, was doing everything he could to get Avery to go off or be more like Avery and he wouldn't take the bait.

That being said, he's still a douche.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

Avery posts on IG anytime he's in a bike lane and someone in the city is blocking it with a car or truck. The one I watched, out of morbid curiosity to see how big of a douche he was, he actually had a point at the delivery truck he was calling out. There was an entire open side of the street where he was supposed to park on but the box truck was on the wrong side, blocking the path.

I also gave Avery some plus-points for sh!tting all over the Islanders fans, Frankie Borelli from Barstool specifically, in a calm manner in their debate on Spittin Chiclets a few weeks back. Especially when Borelli, the tool that he is, was doing everything he could to get Avery to go off or be more like Avery and he wouldn't take the bait.

That being said, he's still a douche.

Yeah, during the interview the things he was saying seemed to make sense, but only in an obvious kinda-hard-to-go-against-it sort of way.  Just because someone might be against punching babies doesn't mean they're not a jerk. 

I mean sure, people can change, but like you said he is, and always will be, a douche. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

A little off-topic:  As much as some NYC folks and their mayors want NYC to be a bike-friendly city, it just ain't one.  I wish they would stop trying to hammer a square peg into a round role with that.

NY also has a governor who gets offended at being made fun of by a cartoon... So glad I'm done with that state

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

A little off-topic:  As much as some NYC folks and their mayors want NYC to be a bike-friendly city, it just ain't one.  I wish they would stop trying to hammer a square peg into a round role with that.

You're only saying that because you're from a rival state. 😉

• Like 1

As someone who drives in NYC a lot because I hate public transportation the vast majority of people on bikes are absolute morons who don't pay attention nor know the rules of the road.  Same goes for most drivers. It's a complete sh!t show in most areas. That's not even bringing into account how many stupid pedestrians walk into the crosswalk looking down at their phone with their ear buds in when they don't have the right away. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

As someone who drives in NYC a lot because I hate public transportation the vast majority of people on bikes are absolute morons who don't pay attention nor know the rules of the road.  Same goes for most drivers. It's a complete sh!t show in most areas. That's not even bringing into account how many stupid pedestrians walk into the crosswalk looking down at their phone with their ear buds in when they don't have the right away. 

Agreed.

It's funny how many times I have heard bike nuts repeat the mantra of "sharing the road" but often their actions say otherwise.  I have seen more bicyclists blow through red lights in the last year alone than cars in my entire life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I was absolutely shocked the first time I visited NYC a few years ago at how crazy the bicyclists are there. I found that to be the most dangerous thing about the city lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Agreed.

It's funny how many times I have heard bike nuts repeat the mantra of "sharing the road" but often their actions say otherwise.  I have seen more bicyclists blow through red lights in the last year alone than cars in my entire life.

Yup. You have to yield to their every whim, but they don’t have to follow a single traffic rule. I went into downtown Brooklyn and those kale munching hipster bike riders are a scourge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Can confirm it's the same way in Philly.

Bikers want to be respected as vehicles that have a ROW, yet they don't stop at red lights or stop signs nor yield to pedestrians. 

It's especially awful in Manayunk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can confirm it's the same way in Philly.

Bikers want to be respected as vehicles that have a ROW, yet they don't stop at red lights or stop signs nor yield to pedestrians. 

It's especially awful in Manayunk.

Honestly, as a biker and driver in Philly, I've dealt with a lot more dangerous behavior from cars than I have from bikes. Bikers are generally more cautious, but of course there are sh!tty ones. I've done a few dumb things myself on them. I've almost gotten hit because of my own recklessness, and have been hit (not seriously) when a car pulled out of a parking spot without looking.

Main Street is tough. It's a popular route for leisure and competitive cyclists, and there's barely space for 2 lanes to begin with. I get stuck behind groups leaving manayunk until the light at ridge all the time. Trying to pass is so dangerous for everyone, but people do it. 

The solution for everyone is protected bike lanes. Cars shouldn't have to worry about killing someone zooming through their blind spot when they're trying to make a simple turn, while bikers shouldn't have to worry about getting taken down when they're using their ROW. Bikers and drivers shouldn't be disputing each other, they should both want safe roads for everyone. I really don't get the dilemma. 

Anyway, came through to comment on Seattle's building. I had no idea they were demolishing everything but the roof, but it's not a renovation. It's a complete reconstruction, with the roof being suspended until the building below it is completed. Crazy stuff.