Devils announce radio streaming agreement with Entercom

MadDog2020

This is awesome stuff.  I've been using Radio.com year almost 10 years to listen to WFAN.  In most cases I can find a video feed of Devils games, but if I'm ever unable to this is a great backup to at least be able to get the audio, and with this you know it'll be reliable.

54 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

That's what I would assume.  They were basically off of WFAN for most of the games last year.  It sucks because I would listen to the games on the FAN on my drive home from work. 

Why can't you do that now with the app?

1 hour ago, sammyk said:

Why can't you do that now with the app?

Believe it or not, people like my Dad like the sound of the broadcast over AM - aka sh!tty quality.

The crystal clear radio streams don't do it for him, for some reason.  Probably a generational thing.

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Believe it or not, people like my Dad like the sound of the broadcast over AM - aka sh!tty quality.

The crystal clear radio streams don't do it for him, for some reason.  Probably a generational thing.

Having grown up listening to baseball on AM radio, I still associate the poor quality with how it’s “supposed” to sound. 

But do I like FM better? Definitely. 

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

That's just being stubborn towards technology.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

As someone who has a mobile data plan where I pay per GB used, I hate having to stream the game audio while driving. Especially since I have a radio in my car that used to play the games for free.

C'mon dude, it's 2018, everyone offers unlimited plans.  Besides, audio streaming isn't usually a data hog, a game isn't going to set you back too much data.

FWIW, the parent company to WFAN (Entercom) also has a deal in place with the Islanders so some of the Devs/Isles matchups will be on WFAN, go figure: 

In addition, WFAN Sports Radio 101.9 FM and 660 AM will promote all live, digital streams and air select head-to-head matchups between the two teams.

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/entercom-partners-devils-islanders-exclusively-stream-all-games-during-2018-19-season

I really don't know how this is even remotely good or OK.  We are literally being kicked off the radio for online wasteland.  I don't care how many people use Spotify and other streaming services in their car, this is a completely different situation and it's bad.

As for AM, there is a bit of an aura around hearing games over AM.  It has a classic sound to it and I will admit there are times when a game is on I put on the AM station over the FM simulcast.  I guess it's the same sort of thing where often times songs just sound better on the radio than playing it off a CD or digital player.

• Like 2