Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

GDT: Devils vs. Edmonton 1:00 PM, MSG+, NHLN

Recommended Posts

All good observations, but I have another:  KK needs to dial it back a little, but still stay aggressive without getting too much out of position. (McDavid forces one to do these kinds of things.)  I love the MB30 breakout passes, though.  A fast team needs fast breakouts.  CS needs to work more on this part of his game, without taking away from the other things he does well.  This NHL has a faster pace now; everyone has to match that pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wood is playing a bit slower now when it's called for and it's great.  His rookie season he tried to do everything at full speed and it didn't work at all besides on breakaways.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dmann422 said:

Unfortunately I only got to see the highlights... can someone breakdown how the defense looked? I see only 19 SOG allowed, pretty impressive against a high powered oilers offense, no?

We dominated 5 on 5 play throughout the game. Not to critique the Oilers but, aside form McDavid (himself), his entire line is not even a threat. Draisitl (sp?) line (w/ Lucic) mediocre at best. .  Our PK was great (cept for Oilers 1st goal) We so dominated 2nd period we had 10 SOG before Oilers found 1 SOG at the end. Oilers had a lil flurry early on in 3rd, but Devils took control again & never looked back. Trav's 2nd goal was a back breaker.  Oil coach finally put MacD, lucic & Draisitl on line together & they scored. 4-2

All 4 lines clicked, they were prepared.  Talbot sh>t the bed a lil bit too. LGD's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 8:37 PM, mfitz804 said:

Thanks!

Zajac and Palmieri are both on pace to score 164 goals this year. If one or both finish around 125 we should be all set. 

;) 

Happy Birthday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 5:22 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've only seen the Devils win one time on my birthday.  June 24, 1995 

Happy birthday dude!

Really! Mine also, it was my 35th Birthday!!! 6/24/1995 in the Meadowlands, Best Birthday gift ever sweeping Detroit! Happy Birthday Mfitz804

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a bit too many drinks after the game, so the game was a bit fuzzy haha I finally sat down to rewatch the game yesterday, what a dynamic performance. Solid game by Kinkaid, Johansson looks great out there. Scary to think about what the score would've been if Bratt was playing, he makes that line much more dangerous (and they still looked good). The good thing about a Hall-Hischier-Palmieri line is that defenses will throw everything they got at covering Hall and Hischier and Palmieri will be given the space to operate. Dangerous.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad we participated in the Global series, but honestly, I am ready for some more hockey now. Too long of a gap, let's get things started!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I am glad we participated in the Global series, but honestly, I am ready for some more hockey now. Too long of a gap, let's get things started!!!

My sentiments as well, and I was pretty damn pissed that we have such a long break due to the travel, BUT...I found out that the Lightning played their first game on Saturday as well, and their next game isn't until Thursday as well!  Insane.  Plus, their first game was home, and on Thursday they're home as well.  Makes absolutely no sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I am glad we participated in the Global series, but honestly, I am ready for some more hockey now. Too long of a gap, let's get things started!!!

We make up for it starting Thursday, 5 of the next 6 are at home with the away game being in Philly. Hope we take advantage of that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

My sentiments as well, and I was pretty damn pissed that we have such a long break due to the travel

Doesn't make any sense if you ask me. How long is a flight from Switzerland to Newark, like 7-8 hours? Do you really need 5 days off to recover from that? It doesn't happen when they fly 6 hours from California...

But anyway, I need more hockey was my primary point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Doesn't make any sense if you ask me. How long is a flight from Switzerland to Newark, like 7-8 hours? Do you really need 5 days off to recover from that? It doesn't happen when they fly 6 hours from California...

But anyway, I need more hockey was my primary point. 

It takes time to get back on EST. A six hour time difference is a big difference. You have to get your circadian rhythm back to what it usually is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Switzerland is a 6 hour time difference while California is a 3 hour time difference.  It is a bigger difference than what a lot of people think.  I know this from experience as jet lag from 6 hour time change is a bitch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Switzerland is a 6 hour time difference while California is a 3 hour time difference.  It is a bigger difference than what a lot of people think.  I know this from experience as jet lag from 6 hour time change is a bitch.

 

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It takes time to get back on EST. A six hour time difference is a big difference. You have to get your circadian rhythm back to what it usually is.

There's no jet lag that takes THAT long to recover from. Just go to sleep and wake up and you'll be fine!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NHL also doesn't schedule a lot of games on Wednesday, typically, so Thursday was the most likely comeback day.  The Devils have 4 Wednesday games all year, and that's a surprisingly high amount - I feel like they've played entire seasons with only 1 or 2 Wednesday games.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The NHL also doesn't schedule a lot of games on Wednesday, typically, so Thursday was the most likely comeback day.  The Devils have 4 Wednesday games all year, and that's a surprisingly high amount - I feel like they've played entire seasons with only 1 or 2 Wednesday games.

 

TIL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a joke some teams will have played 4 games before we take the ice for our 2nd. Hope we're spared from this international garbage for a long long time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, '7' said:

What a joke some teams will have played 4 games before we take the ice for our 2nd. Hope we're spared from this international garbage for a long long time

Not likely. The Devils have made it pretty clear that they are trying to tap into the European market. It may or may not have been Shero who mentioned that being the reason for so many afternoon games this season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Not likely. The Devils have made it pretty clear that they are trying to tap into the European market. It may or may not have been Shero who mentioned that being the reason for so many afternoon games this season

Well people want the afternoon games. Saturday afternoon specifically. During football season the NHL should be scheduling as many Saturday afternoon hockey games as possible and as few as possible on Sundays

If Hischier takes off then yea perhaps there's something to be made in Switzerland. But other than that the Devils just don't really have the international stars to make a dent in other countries.

Edited by '7'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, '7' said:

What a joke some teams will have played 4 games before we take the ice for our 2nd. Hope we're spared from this international garbage for a long long time

This sort of thing happens without going to Europe.  Tampa Bay has only played 1 game so far.  In 1995, the Devils opened with 1 game and then had 4 days off.  

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Well people want the afternoon games. Saturday afternoon specifically. During football season the NHL should be scheduling as many Saturday afternoon hockey games as possible and as few as possible on Sundays

If Hischier takes off then yea perhaps there's something to be made in Switzerland. But other than that the Devils just don't really have the international stars to make a dent in other countries.

I disagree, I think going to Europe often could make them 'the European team' in the same way that the Jaguars have become London's team.  Sure, plenty of other people will like other teams, but having the chance to see a team live creates fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Triumph said:

This sort of thing happens without going to Europe.  Tampa Bay has only played 1 game so far.  In 1995, the Devils opened with 1 game and then had 4 days off.  

I disagree, I think going to Europe often could make them 'the European team' in the same way that the Jaguars have become London's team.  Sure, plenty of other people will like other teams, but having the chance to see a team live creates fans.

Not for nothing, but is there any reason I should care whether we have fans in Europe? If the theory that if we have more Euro fans, maybe more Euro stars will want to play for us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not for nothing, but is there any reason I should care whether we have fans in Europe? If the theory that if we have more Euro fans, maybe more Euro stars will want to play for us?

The theory is more fans = more revenue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The theory is more fans = more revenue.

I'm not sure I believe that playing a game in Europe, even if its every year, is going to make enough fans that it will increase revenue with any significance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure I believe that playing a game in Europe, even if its every year, is going to make enough fans that it will increase revenue with any significance. 

Those fans buy merchandise too. Just sayin’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Those fans buy merchandise too. Just sayin’. 

I just don't see it being significant enough a group of people to make a difference. You aren't talking the whole population, you're talking only hockey fans, and only those who don't have a team to follow already out of the more popular teams in the league. 

As noted by the fact that we didn't sell out our home opener, we can't even lock down New Jersey, but we're going to lock down Europe by playing there once a year or every couple of years? 

Doubtful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.