Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

GDT: Devils vs. Edmonton 1:00 PM, MSG+, NHLN

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I just don't see it being significant enough a group of people to make a difference. You aren't talking the whole population, you're talking only hockey fans, and only those who don't have a team to follow already out of the more popular teams in the league. 

As noted by the fact that we didn't sell out our home opener, we can't even lock down New Jersey, but we're going to lock down Europe by playing there once a year or every couple of years? 

Doubtful. 

I’d prefer to keep the trips to Europe to a minimum myself, so you’re preaching to the choir on that front. I was playing devils advocate (no pun intended 😛) from the owners’ point of view as to why they’d want to try and tap into that market. They obviously like having the team on a global stage, and it’s not a bad thing for a franchise that doesn’t get a ton of exposure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Triumph said:

This sort of thing happens without going to Europe.  Tampa Bay has only played 1 game so far.  In 1995, the Devils opened with 1 game and then had 4 days off.  

I disagree, I think going to Europe often could make them 'the European team' in the same way that the Jaguars have become London's team.  Sure, plenty of other people will like other teams, but having the chance to see a team live creates fans.

Are the Jaguars Londons team? I actually have never seen a poll of NFL teams there. Just curious...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I just don't see it being significant enough a group of people to make a difference. You aren't talking the whole population, you're talking only hockey fans, and only those who don't have a team to follow already out of the more popular teams in the league. 

As noted by the fact that we didn't sell out our home opener, we can't even lock down New Jersey, but we're going to lock down Europe by playing there once a year or every couple of years? 

Doubtful. 

Selling out the home opener has nothing to do with it. This has been and always will be a flooded sports market. 

The Devils trying to expand their brand is a good thing. Its not just because they play there once a year. The idea is that people going to that game or watching on tv are exposed to live NHL hockey for the first time. If they are interested or even hooked, they will more than likely follow one of Edmonton or NJ. Getting new eyes on a product is never a bad thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MadDog2020 mind starting a GDT? I feel like we’re spectators for the regular season since we’ve played one whole game in a freaking week... I might already have Devils’ withdrawal...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jagknife said:

@MadDog2020 mind starting a GDT? I feel like we’re spectators for the regular season since we’ve played one whole game in a freaking week... I might already have Devils’ withdrawal...

Done! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, '7' said:

Are the Jaguars Londons team? I actually have never seen a poll of NFL teams there. Just curious...

I guess I found a Darren Rovell article from 2016 that suggests that they're not by jersey sales, but that may have changed now that the Jaguars are decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.