Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

23 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Am I alone in not wanting to give the starting job back to Cory right away?  I'm never really in favor of disrupting a good thing, and so far it seems like KK's earned the right to continue getting the majority of starts.

Well it's not like Cory is starting right away. Keith will still get a start Saturday and maybe Thurs/Sat after that as well. If he keeps playing well Cory can be the backup until Keith's game falters. I'd ride the hot hand and just make sure one of them gets in on back to back nights. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Well it's not like Cory is starting right away. Keith will still get a start Saturday and maybe Thurs/Sat after that as well. If he keeps playing well Cory can be the backup until Keith's game falters. I'd ride the hot hand and just make sure one of them gets in on back to back nights. 

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.  I know it's always a delicate balance for coaches to juggle the starting/backup roles between goalies - no goalie wants to be the #2, and while I usually tend to think it's best to have a pretty clear distinction of who is in fact the starter and who's the backup, in this particular case I hope Hynes approaches Cory and says something like "Listen, we're glad you're healthy and we want to give you the opportunity to play and help this team, but right now Keith's been playing well and we're going to give him some more starts and see if it can keep it up.  If we feel he needs a break then we're not gonna hesitate to get you back in there. "

Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition if you ask me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Am I alone in not wanting to give the starting job back to Cory right away?  I'm never really in favor of disrupting a good thing, and so far it seems like KK's earned the right to continue getting the majority of starts.

Nah you're not alone. I wouldnt say that i was "upset" last year when they gave Schneider the net after kinkaid had an "average" game (After being awesome for quite awhile and dragging us in the playoff)...  but i wasn't happy about it. Didnt feel right.

49 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Q sent back to the Bing??

re:  Q being sent down, happened even sooner than I thought it would.  Felt inevitable though.  He's just not that good.  The kind of guy who will keep bouncing back and forth.  For how long as a Devil, who knows. 

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'd rather give it to a young guy with promise, than an aging vet at the end of his career.  You give it to the kid, and you're saying "here's a big opportunity, let's see what you can do with it" - you give it to the older journeymen, and you're saying "we have no better options, we're not expecting much".  It's basically a waste.  Plug Stafford in on the 4th line and let him eat up 6 or 7 minutes.  

The chances of Quennville doing something productive are higher than that of Stafford.

I think I agree.

A discussion going on over at /r/hockey on Karya's jersey retirement. Not many, but I saw a couple people there talking some sh!t about Stevens. Maybe people just being sympathetic to Karya, which is understandable since it's fun to circle jerk and talk a dude up on those nights, but now I am curious as to if that is how Stevens' legacy is perceived around the league these days. 

A lot of fans these days tend to look at Stevens' legacy through today's lens.  Back then a lot of those hits he made on players would get him suspended and labeled a repeat offender in today's NHL.  A lot of those fans who bash him were probably younger and only see his highlights where a majority of them are his hits and instantly look at him as a sort of Tom Wilson type player.

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

A discussion going on over at /r/hockey on Karya's jersey retirement. Not many, but I saw a couple people there talking some sh!t about Stevens. Maybe people just being sympathetic to Karya, which is understandable since it's fun to circle jerk and talk a dude up on those nights, but now I am curious as to if that is how Stevens' legacy is perceived around the league these days. 

The reason people hated Scott Stevens (and still do) is because he wrecked their players, he wrecked their seasons, and he wrecked their dreams of their team winning the Cup. All of the fvcking pussies who claim he was a cheap shot artist say that because he wasn’t knocking the living sh!t out of people (legally) and shutting down top lines in their uniform. Period. End of fvcking story. I’m pretty sure Scotty can’t hear their bitching though, because he has his three Cup rings, his HOF ring, and his Conn Smythe plugged in his ears. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 4

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

A lot of fans these days tend to look at Stevens' legacy through today's lens.  Back then a lot of those hits he made on players would get him suspended and labeled a repeat offender in today's NHL.  A lot of those fans who bash him were probably younger and only see his highlights where a majority of them are his hits and instantly look at him as a sort of Tom Wilson type player.

Yeah, Stevens wasn't even whistled for a penalty on most of those big hits.  Game was simply different back then.  And I never got the impression that Stevens was deliberately ever trying to hurt anyone.  And in some cases, some guys really had a VERY bad habit of skating with their heads down...Lindros was especially guilty of that.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It’s jealousy pure and simple. Stevens had one elbowing penalty in his entire career. He cleaned clocks within the rules of the game at that time. Any old heads that saw him play and call him a cheap shot artist are probably disgruntled Flyer fans who wish to God every day that Stevens played for them. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, Stevens wasn't even whistled for a penalty on most of those big hits.  Game was simply different back then.  And I never got the impression that Stevens was deliberately ever trying to hurt anyone.  And in some cases, some guys really had a VERY bad habit of skating with their heads down...Lindros was especially guilty of that.   

Yeah I doubt any of those hits were him trying to deliberately hurt the other players.  He just wanted to deliver a big hit and that's it.

Just a totally different game back then.  I do re-watch some of those hits from time to time and cringe at some of them, especially the Kariya one.  I never saw that game 7 hit on Lindros as one of his more brutal ones, but it was Lindros' concussion history that made it more brutal than it looked.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s jealousy pure and simple. Stevens had one elbowing penalty in his entire career. He cleaned clocks within the rules of the game at that time. Any old heads that saw him play and call him a cheap shot artist are probably disgruntled Flyer fans who wish to God every day that Stevens played for them. 

To be fair, back then elbowing penalties were called when it was very obvious (example: Tie Domi on Nieds).  These days, the refs are a little bit more stringent on elbowing.  There are a few hits where Stevens might get called for an elbowing these days.

Edited by DevsMan84

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

To be fair, back then elbowing penalties were called when it was very obvious (example: Tie Domi on Nieds).  These days, the refs are a little bit more stringent on elbowing.  There are a few hits where Stevens might get called for an elbowing these days.

Different game now. He’d probably be called, but they’d be bullsh!t calls relative to what elbowing actually is. 

All these were pretty much my thoughts. It wasn't a mystery how Stevens played the game. Everyone knew when playing NJ that you had to keep your head up. It was just how he played and it was how he played his entire career. Now people are all sour grapes about it because things have changed. Makes you think how people will feel looking back when fighting is inevitably taken out of the game.

Sorry, I kind of hijacked this thread. I meant to post this in around the league.

• Like 1