Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Zacha will be the last of a long line of bad drafting by Conte. McLeod we knew he wouldn't be much as the drop of talent was considerable after the 10th pick. I remember not caring much by the time we drafted cause we knew there was nothing exciting. As usual a few later picks became something but that's always going to happen. Overall it was a pretty weak draft that year. McAvoy, Chychrun, Girard and Debrincat are the only one worth mentioning really

I still haven’t given up on Zacha. I’m really hoping (and somewhat confident) that Zacha can figure things out in Binghamton. Mcloed I was always pretty low on. 

6 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

I still haven’t given up on Zacha. I’m really hoping (and somewhat confident) that Zacha can figure things out in Binghamton. Mcloed I was always pretty low on. 

thing is at least on paper McLeod did fit our system and what we want. If he doesn't pan out well

And i'm also not fully giving up on Zacha but at this point it's clear he won't be a big impact player which is what we all hoped

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

3 points and 9 shots in 2GP is a step in the right direction.

It's two games, not enough to make me confident. Add to that the fact that he's playing in the AHL, where at least 50% of the guys will probably never make an NHL roster. And he still hasn't scored a goal, he should be lighting it up. 

Three assists in the AHL doesn't make me confident of anything. 

It's the same thing as when he was in the NHL: people like him and feel he was drafted high and are willing to engage in wishful thinking despite the actual evidence in front of their faces. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's two games, not enough to make me confident. Add to that the fact that he's playing in the AHL, where at least 50% of the guys will probably never make an NHL roster. And he still hasn't scored a goal, he should be lighting it up. 

Three assists in the AHL doesn't make me confident of anything. 

It's the same thing as when he was in the NHL: people like him and feel he was drafted high and are willing to engage in wishful thinking despite the actual evidence in front of their faces. 

The question essentially was what gives the impression that Zacha can figure things out in Bing and the answer was his evident production thus far.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm not extrapolating that out to tell you that he'll be a 2C in the NHL.

8 minutes ago, Crisis said:

The question essentially was what gives the impression that Zacha can figure things out in Bing and the answer was his evident production thus far.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm not extrapolating that out to tell you that he'll be a 2C in the NHL.

In terms of it being better than going to the AHL and having zero points in 2 games, I would agree. Does that indicate to me that he'll figure anything out? Not at all. 

Am I crazy to think that Zacha should be expected to put up like.. 2PPG at this point in the AHL?  Or am I getting greedy.

He's not that far off after only 2 games, I suppose.  Though, yeah, some God damn goals would be nice..

Edited by Devilsfan118

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

A really good 3rd year NHL player should be able to put up 2 PPG in the AHL.

So not Zacha. 

Fair enough.

I was thinking that even with his struggles, Zacha should be able to torch the AHL having gotten used to the speed of the NHL level. 

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Fair enough.

I was thinking that even with his struggles, Zacha should be able to torch the AHL having gotten used to the speed of the NHL level. 

Re: whether someone who had zero points in 10 games is actually used to the speed of the NHL level, you could argue he totally was not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Man, I am so pumped for Bratt’s return. I really think his absence has been understated and that he’ll be an improved player over last year. Just what the second line needs.

Definitely. Let's hope he picks up where he left off in the pre-season. 

8 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Fair enough.

He should, but 2 points per game is not realistic.  1 certainly is, 1.25 maybe, anything beyond that is doubtful.

• Thanks 1