Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

This came from a TSN article about teams four core players to build around under 24. 

Basically they said they rated the Devils core to highly. 

Screenshot_20181113-225256.thumb.png.833b7f9248896d3b4820151da6960073.png

I like the way they have written Nico off as the top player from the draft after seeing 10 fvcking games from Elias Pettersson who is a whole year older than  Nico, and then saying he is probably not even second best, without offering any explanation even though he has 35 more point than Nolan Patrick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This came from a TSN article about teams four core players to build around under 24. 

Basically they said they rated the Devils core to highly. 

Screenshot_20181113-225256.thumb.png.833b7f9248896d3b4820151da6960073.png

I like the way they have written Nico off as the top player from the draft after seeing 10 fvcking games from Elias Pettersson who is a whole year older than  Nico, and then saying he is probably not even second best, without offering any explanation even though he has 35 more point than Nolan Patrick. 

I posted about it in around the league, we all agreed they're stupid. 😃

So we lose nico and Bratt returns, yet we go on a positive win streak and the lines look good to better. I love nico but is bratt a more important player to this teams makeup? its a nice predicament to discuss and have!!!  hopefully bratt stays consistent this year.. probably way too small a sample size to make this argument.. so lets just say bratt is a difference maker on this team.. also Tri is right about vatanan , good player just not a top pairing difference maker

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

So we lose nico and Bratt returns, yet we go on a positive win streak and the lines look good to better. I love nico but is bratt a more important player to this teams makeup? its a nice predicament to discuss and have!!!  hopefully bratt stays consistent this year.. probably way too small a sample size to make this argument.. so lets just say bratt is a difference maker on this team.. also Tri is right about vatanan , good player just not a top pairing difference maker

Well we lost yesterday so the streak is over.😝

i think both players could be labeled as difference makers for us. I would have liked to say Nico helps Hall keep rolling but he had a 4 pt game the first night without him, so that plane crashed on takeoff. 

Even though Bratt hasn’t scored yet, he brings speed and creativity that other teams have to account for. 

I also hate the fact that a team that was reknown for having great defenses for the better part of two decades doesn’t have a single legit top pair. We’ve got a few top 4 guys with two 6/7 (Greene and Lovejoy). Yes in theory that makes it a decent lineup, except one of this 6s still gets top 4 minutes. When Vats comes back he’ll at least eat top pair minutes and hopefully still perform well, at it. Just don’t expect him to exceed realistic expectations of being a bonafide #1

Edited by jagknife

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

We went through this last year with people asking if Bratt was better than Nico early in the season. The answer is no. I like Bratt a lot, but let’s pump the breaks a bit on that one. 

As far as Vatanen, he might not be a top pair guy on a lot of teams, but I completely disagree that he’s not very good. He’s extremely solid, imo. And his numbers against some of the leagues best players back that up. 

Bratt is a great piece, especially because he was more of a surprise then anything. Being a 6th round pick I don't think he was expected to be anywhere near what he has been for us. Nico has played pretty much next to hall since he came into the league.. take that away and I'm not sure exactly where he would sit. No doubt I'm sure the two of them compliment one another but, id like to see Nico put on more size. I feel like every game I see him being man handled a little too much. Yes before someone says it I know he's only 19? just saying. 

Starting to suspect that last season was more likely than not an anomaly - this team just doesn't seem to have the tools to be considered a playoff team.

We'll see where we stand on Thursday, but obviously we all know that teams not in playoff position come Thanksgiving don't have a statistically good shot of making the playoffs. I think our games in hand situation thanks to the start in Europe might skew this statistic a bit against us, but still...

People here know my opinion on embracing the tank versus living perpetually as a bubble team.. not going to start that talk just yet but if this team is continuing to struggle through January I think it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to consider us sellers and enter the Jack Hughes sweepstakes.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Starting to suspect that last season was more likely than not an anomaly - this team just doesn't seem to have the tools to be considered a playoff team.

We'll see where we stand on Thursday, but obviously we all know that teams not in playoff position come Thanksgiving don't have a statistically good shot of making the playoffs. I think our games in hand situation thanks to the start in Europe might skew this statistic a bit against us, but still...

People here know my opinion on embracing the tank versus living perpetually as a bubble team.. not going to start that talk just yet but if this team is continuing to struggle through January I think it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to consider us sellers and enter the Jack Hughes sweepstakes.

I don't think we have to tank, but if we are not in a playoff spot, or 2 -4 points out of one by the deadline, then I would trade off guys like Mojo, Greene (is there a market for him?), etc. and bring up some of the young guys to see what they have the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bratt is alright, but I just don't see the player that a lot of you are seeing.  I really do think that him being a 6th round pick is making people perceive his efforts and production as bigger than what they really are.

The fact that a 6th round pick from two years ago is starting his second full NHL season in and of itself is impressive. Bratt is a very dynamic player. There’s enough negativity here, so let’s try and keep it to sh!t that’s actually negative. Bratt is fine.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

The fact that a 6th round pick from two years ago is starting his second full NHL season in and of itself is impressive. Bratt is a very dynamic player. There’s enough negativity here, so let’s try and keep it to sh!t thst’s actually negative. 

I see him skate and make a few nice plays and that's about it.  You can say the same about Wood but he gets a pass while Bratt skates free because of where he was drafted?  Why the double standard about using Bratt's draft position to prop him up while I cannot use Zacha's draft position to be more critical of him?

• Like 1