Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Calling Dea a “great asset” is probably the overexaggeration of the century. 

A can of peas may not seem like a great "asset" in your house. But give it to a starving kid in Africa and it's a pretty good "asset"

Looking at our depth and assets. We're literally the starving kids of the NHL

33 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Not a big fan of losing Dea on waivers... i don't really understand the move either. One of the reason we're in such a bad spot is because we've been lacking assets to make any moves... Dea was a great assets for us and we got him free... He was not producing much lately but he was bringing speed and energy which we need. 

I'm not punching walls or anything about it but it's a bummer unless McLeod explodes but i doubt it, i'm not really high on the kid

To help you understand Hynes reasoning: 

Losing Dea and adding McLeod came down to a simple stance that goes beyond just one roster more: the Devils need more grit.

“Those decisions are never easy, but we feel for our team, for the Devils, that we need a little bit different element,” Hynes said. “There’s some guys, whether it’s in our organization or possibly outside our organization, that we need more pushback in our forward group, whether that’s size, speed, competitiveness, when some of our top guys are on the road and getting checked. We need some guys to come through and give us energy or score some goals or give us some physical pushback.”

The Devils have preached speed as a key element to their roster since coach John Hynes and GM Ray Shero took over in 2015, and McLeod brings that. He also adds an element they didn’t see in Dea.

“He’s a fast, tenacious player and adds size to our lineup. He’s very competitive,” Hynes said. “That’s something we’ve talked about wanting more from our forward group, is guys that are harder to play against. He adds kind of both, the speed element and some more size. Hopefully he comes in and takes someone’s job.”

c/o Chris Ryan: https://www.nj.com/devils/2018/11/why-devils-michael-mcleod-earned-nhl-call-up.html

• Like 1

I think they missed the forest through the trees with Dea, who was a perfectly serviceable forward - I understand that they want more physical play and there may not have been a spot for Dea when Anderson comes back, but it gets kinda bare down in the AHL on RW - Bastian doesn't seem like he's ready, Speers isn't going to be anything, Lappin's probably an AHL All-Star.  Maybe they'd consider putting Quenneville or Studenic on their off-side but I don't love these ideas either.

• Like 2

Dea is a dime a dozen player. Has he even recorded a single point since his nice first two games? Does he even get shots on goal? He's been barely noticeable on the ice and doesn't bring a single useful element to this team at a time that we need difference makers. He's a Sislo/Sestito type from the bad old days

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

Dea is a dime a dozen player. Has he even recorded a single point since his nice first two games? Does he even get shots on goal? He's been barely noticeable on the ice and doesn't bring a single useful element to this team at a time that we need difference makers. He's a Sislo/Sestito type from the bad old days

ses-TI-to!

15 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

I don’t understand why Lovejoy can’t sit

"Too valuable to the PK" 🙄

I honestly think it's because he's a veteran.  Coaches think it's disrespectful or something.  I get that it's not a popular move, and I'm sure the player would be upset, but if there are better options to put out there, you have to do it.  

51 minutes ago, '7' said:

Doesn't Tim Sestito has or still hold the NHL record for most games played by a player no never record a goal in their career?

Zero goals in 101 NHL games.

42 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yak plays well, gets sat anyway. 

It’s pretty interesting that our defense is as bad as it is, yet they are acting like there’s no room for him. At this point I’d be fine with rotating through our other 6 defensemen and telling all of them one of them is getting sat each game for Yakovlev. Not that he’s been lights out by any means, but he’s been good and will only improve if he gets to play. 

22 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

"Too valuable to the PK" 🙄

I honestly think it's because he's a veteran.  Coaches think it's disrespectful or something.  I get that it's not a popular move, and I'm sure the player would be upset, but if there are better options to put out there, you have to do it.  

Could be. His immediate response would be “Greene sucks and he still gets to play”. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Doesn't Tim Sestito has or still hold the NHL record for most games played by a player no never record a goal in their career?

Zero goals in 101 NHL games.

I don't know (I wonder if some short term goons would have that record) but it was pretty clear from the first time I saw him step on the ice that he'd never score a goal 😁

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Dea is a dime a dozen player, but he is not a Sislo or Sestito type of player, or even close to the latter in terms of badness.  The idea that a player who was on a hot streak 'hasn't done anything' - well yeah, sometimes that's how hockey is, but he was still having some impact sometimes, and he was still on pace to be a above-average 4th line scorer.

Captain Lead Skates still gets to play yet looks worse game to game.

It pisses me off every time but I expect nothing less from our staff at this point

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

Dea is a dime a dozen player, but he is not a Sislo or Sestito type of player, or even close to the latter in terms of badness.  The idea that a player who was on a hot streak 'hasn't done anything' - well yeah, sometimes that's how hockey is, but he was still having some impact sometimes, and he was still on pace to be a above-average 4th line scorer.

I also think he brings more to the table than Stafford, which is why the waive pissed me off too

Stafford is probably worse but also had to know what he was getting into.  I guess the rest of the lineup has enough versatility that Stafford can always slide in and someone can move over, but it's often hard to keep an extra forward who is always the extra forward - guys want to play.  Someone at the end of his career like Stafford isn't exactly playing for the next contract.

13 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Thoughts on Palmieri potentially being used as trade bait?

Pretty great contract for a streaky 30 goal scorer.  Think he honestly might be one of our more valuable pieces.

I'm nowhere near there yet.  He's definitely streaky, but I see him as part of the solution.  It wasn't so long ago that we all screaming for a guy who could put pucks in the net at a 30 goals per 82 GP pace.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm nowhere near there yet.  He's definitely streaky, but I see him as part of the solution.  It wasn't so long ago that we all screaming for a guy who could put pucks in the net at a 30 goals per 82 GP pace.  

This is true.  I certainly don't want to get rid of him, by any means.

I'm just thinking of ways we could possibly get a top-3 or low end top-2 defender and Palms seems like the only borderline tradeable guy that would fetch us such a piece.