Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Pretty pissed about that, but it's not like we were the home team, so he wasn't gonna get booed or anything, and there aren't many guys left on the team from that 2012 Cup run anyway, so no one to get vengeance on him either.  It's basically a non-issue now.  He'll get booed the first/next time he's back in NJ by the fans for sure, but that's about it.

For me, the fact that kovalchuk is going to be forced to play through a rebuild in LA for the next 3 years is delicious. 

That is unless a stupid GM tries to acquire him or something. But I believe he's got two more years left and with it being a 35+ contact not many teams will probably be interested

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

and there aren't many guys left on the team from that 2012 Cup run anyway, so no one to get vengeance on him either.  

Guys are not going to “get vengeance” over a contract matter. It doesn’t even happen for bad hits on the ice in today’s NHL. Sometimes I wonder what game you guys are watching, it seems better than what I’m watching. 

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Guys are not going to “get vengeance” over a contract matter. It doesn’t even happen for bad hits on the ice in today’s NHL. Sometimes I wonder what game you guys are watching, it seems better than what I’m watching. 

I don't really mean get vengeance in the sense that they'd stab him and take off in a white Bronco.  I do think some of the guys on that 2012 team would have played a bit harder against Kovy during his first game back.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

ONE MAN TANK JOB, LOVE IT!

Cory should have gotten the starts a lot sooner in the struggle. Now the team is at a point when they're running out of time to turn the ship around and it's forced. Whatever. I'm so unbelievably disappointed so far. I was really looking forward to hockey this year and we're weeks away from already having to look forward to the draft. 

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

ONE MAN TANK JOB, LOVE IT!

I'm starting to wonder if Shero goes with Nuclear Option #2 (after the season ends):

Buy out Cory (that would be a $2 million cap hit for the next six seasons, starting next year, but would save the Devils $4 million in cap space in each of the next three seasons)

Buy out Andy (that would be a $1,666,667 cap hit for the next two seasons, saving the Devils $3,333,333 in space next season).

Devils will carry over $5.5 million in dead space in 2019-20 and 2020-21 (that's for Cory, Andy, Cammalleri and Kovy), but from 2021-22 through 2024-25, the dead money hit will be $2,250,000 (for Cory and Kovy). 

Considering that doing nothing with Cory and Andy would mean the Devils would be on the hook for $11 million combined for the two of them in 2019-20 anyway (with no reason to expect much on-ice return on their investment)...does Shero actually say fvck it and buy them out?  Yes, he will be down a goalie, but will suddenly have $7,333,333 more to spend next season...in addition to the space that they already have.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm starting to wonder if Shero goes with Nuclear Option #2 (after the season ends):

Buy out Cory (that would be a $2 million cap hit for the next six seasons, starting next year, but would save the Devils $4 million in cap space in each of the next three seasons)

Buy out Andy (that would be a $1,666,667 cap hit for the next two seasons, saving the Devils $3,333,333 in space next season).

Devils will carry over $5.5 million in dead space in 2019-20 and 2020-21 (that's for Cory, Andy, Cammalleri and Kovy), but from 2021-22 through 2024-25, the dead money hit will be $2,250,000 (for Cory and Kovy). 

Considering that doing nothing with Cory and Andy would mean the Devils would be on the hook for $11 million combined for the two of them in 2019-20 anyway (with no reason to expect much on-ice return on their investment)...does Shero actually say fvck it and buy them out?  Yes, he will be down a goalie, but will suddenly have $7,333,333 more to spend next season...in addition to the space that they already have.   

I mean, when you say it like that, I don't see why they would NOT do that. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, when you say it like that, I don't see why they would NOT do that. 

Of course, a lot of this depends on if Cory ever starts to show something this year...and if the Devils are convinced that Blackwood has a legitimate future as a good NHL goaltender.  I don't think Cory will get mothballed...he's going to get a real look at some point (the trajectory that the Devils are currently on suggests that we might see that as soon as early-mid January).  But yeah, if he doesn't look like he's going to ever find it, I don't think you fvck around...$4 million out of $6 million to re-invest elsewhere over the next three years isn't too bad of a proposition...even if with the -$2,000,000 hits for a few years down the line. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Of course, a lot of this depends on if Cory ever starts to show something this year...and if the Devils are convinced that Blackwood has a legitimate future as a good NHL goaltender.  I don't think Cory will get mothballed...he's going to get a real look at some point (the trajectory that the Devils are currently on suggests that we might see that as soon as early-mid January).  But yeah, if he doesn't look like he's going to ever find it, I don't think you fvck around...$4 million out of $6 million to re-invest elsewhere over the next three years isn't too bad of a proposition...even if with the -$2,000,000 hits for a few years down the line. 

I don't think what Blackwood is or does is even a consideration. You can pay him $800k to suck as bad as Cory sucks for $6m, and look for your next goalie elsewhere. From a money saving standpoint, I'd do that all day long. 

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

@Colorado Rockies 1976 if I’m Ray, I’m doing everything in my power to force Greene to retire. That would be my first option before a buyout. Otherwise I love the idea of saving 2/3s of their cap hit next year

my question, since I’m not well versed in the CBA at all, if we waive him and pot him in the minors, does his cap hit remain?

From my understanding, the cap hit is gone but you still have to pay the player because he's on a one-way contract, so he only has an NHL salary. Then the question is does ownership want to be throwing that money at a guy who isn't even on the big club? It's probably best, and more respectful to the player, to buy them out. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

From my understanding, the cap hit is gone but you still have to pay the player because he's on a one-way contract, so he only has an NHL salary. Then the question is does ownership want to be throwing that money at a guy who isn't even on the big club? It's probably best, and more respectful to the player, to buy them out. 

Yeah...a guy like Greene might get a shot with another club at $1-2 million or so on a one-year deal, the season after he's been bought out.  Kinda like what Cam got when he went to LA.  

Don't see him just retiring, but ya never know.  

• Like 1