Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Inexplicable. The NHL just doesn’t get it.

I'm not really sure about this. I go to games and I see the majority of people wearing $30 knockoffs or $100 replicas. Could it be that those of us that want the real deal are a much smaller group that we think?

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not really sure about this. I go to games and I see the majority of people wearing $30 knockoffs or $100 replicas. Could it be that those of us that want the real deal are a much smaller group that we think?

This is exactly the reason.  98% of the people I encounter already think $100 for a replica is a huge expense, what about spending $400-500 for a MiC Adidas blank?  The only way those prices will drop is if they get discontinued and there is still tons of stock left a la Reeboks last year.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah those Chinese knockoffs are a disgrace IMO, but hey, to each their own. I admit I’m a jersey snob, and I’m obviously part of the minority there. I get that the knockoffs are cheap, and that’s the deciding factor for many, which I totally understand. My bigger issue is the people who are happy to fork over big bucks for garbage replica and ‘authentic’ jerseys. They’re the reason we get stuck with the second rate garbage ‘authentics’, and not what’s worn on the ice. If people stopped shelling out for garbage, they’d be forced to give us the real deal. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Last year when I bought my Hall jersey after he hit a milestone in his points streak towards the end of the year, I got it on eBay because it was reasonably priced for what I thought I was getting.  I couldn't afford much, and I think I paid like 60 bucks for it.  It's lettered and numbered accurately as far as I can tell, along with the 'A' on the front.  It also has some green numbering on the back inside of the neckline that says 95 00 03, some homage to the Stanley Cup seasons I guess - hadn't heard of that and not sure if that's supposed to be there, but it doesn't bother me.  I like my stuff to be as accurate and close to the real thing as possible - for example, when someone pointed out that the Nieds banner in our rafters had something wrong with the number 7 I think it was, if that was on my jersey, it would have bothered me - but I still won't go and pay a couple hundred bucks just to ensure that my jersey is without a doubt authentic and the real thing.  It's just too much for me.  If I had lots of money, I'd definitely do it.    But since I don't, something that looks real but may just be a "replica" is the next best thing.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah those Chinese knockoffs are a disgrace IMO, but hey, to each their own. I admit I’m a jersey snob, and I’m obviously part of the minority there. I get that the knockoffs are cheap, and that’s the deciding factor for many, which I totally understand. My bigger issue is the people who are happy to fork over big bucks for garbage replica and ‘authentic’ jerseys. They’re the reason we get stuck with the second rate garbage ‘authentics’, and not what’s worn on the ice. If people stopped shelling out for garbage, they’d be forced to give us the real deal. 

What is it about the Chinese knockoffs that makes them so bad?  (Other than the fact that it's not supporting American workers 😛).  Mine very well may be one of those knockoffs, but I can't tell.  If someone knows of some flaw that makes it different, I'd like to check tonight to see if mine is like that.

59 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yep...I'm guessing much of the group who would say "I'd pony up for the real deal!" would suddenly say "Too expensive!  No way that I'm paying THAT!"

Would love it if there were limited quantity "ELITE" line jerseys (or some other fancy name), for those willing to spend for the real thing, and who aren't necessarily into GW or GI jerseys. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dude, excellent point...I get not wanting to spend big bucks on TRUE authentics (obviously that's not everyone's cup of tea, and I understand that completely), but when people keep shelling out good money for crap or kinda-sortas, then of course that's what will keep on getting sold to the masses in the Devils Den, NHL.com, etc.  Unfortunately many fans don't really know the difference...they see authentic, they think it's really authentic.  Is what it is. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yep...I'm guessing much of the group who would say "I'd pony up for the real deal!" would suddenly say "Too expensive!  No way that I'm paying THAT!"

Would love it if there were limited quantity "ELITE" line jerseys (or some other fancy name), for those willing to spend for the real thing, and who aren't necessarily into GW or GI jerseys. 

Dude, excellent point...I get not wanting to spend big bucks on TRUE authentics (obviously that's not everyone's cup of tea, and I understand that completely), but when people keep shelling out good money for crap or kinda-sortas, then of course that's what will keep on getting sold to the masses in the Devils Den, NHL.com, etc.  Unfortunately many fans don't really know the difference...they see authentic, they think it's really authentic.  Is what it is. 

You don't know how many people I have had to explain that the authentics in the stores are not the ones the players wear on the ice.  The biggest response I get it "but they look the same" but once they get both in their hands they are shocked about the difference.

The NHL used to sell those Indo Edges from 2011-2017 as "authentics" to the masses.  Those were not what the players wore on the ice but they were still much closer to the on-ice jerseys than those sold right now as "authentics."  However, the NHL/stores did drop the price where blank Indo-Edges were $250-300 while blank Adidas are about $175-225.

52 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What is it about the Chinese knockoffs that makes them so bad?  (Other than the fact that it's not supporting American workers 😛).  Mine very well may be one of those knockoffs, but I can't tell.  If someone knows of some flaw that makes it different, I'd like to check tonight to see if mine is like that.

Wrong materials, wrong color hues, wrong fonts, lousy stitching, lousy overall construction, bubbled customization, embroidered instead of layered twill, etc.  They all range from bad to horrendous.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Wrong materials, wrong color hues, wrong fonts, lousy stitching, lousy overall construction, bubbled customization, embroidered instead of layered twill, etc.  They all range from bad to horrendous.

Hmm, I doubt I'll be able to tell what material mine is made from because I'm just not good at that sort of thing lol, but some of the other stuff you pointed out I don't think was an issue - granted maybe it just hasn't been long enough and eventually I could see issues with the stitching and stuff like that.  Or maybe I'm just easy to please lol, who knows. 

26 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

the indo-Adidas "authentics" vs game worn canadian-adidas "authentics".

what, really, is the difference? Is it actually different material? other than the little button that is on the indo ones on the front bottom, I'm not sure I can tell certainly from looking at them up close.

The materials and build on the Canadian-made authentics (the ones the players wear on the ice) is completely different than the ones they sell to fans at the stores made in Indonesia called "Authentics."

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hmm, I doubt I'll be able to tell what material mine is made from because I'm just not good at that sort of thing lol, but some of the other stuff you pointed out I don't think was an issue - granted maybe it just hasn't been long enough and eventually I could see issues with the stitching and stuff like that.  Or maybe I'm just easy to please lol, who knows. 

I have seen the counterfeiters use upside down W's as M's on Cammalleri jerseys, they use a purplish-red instead of that fire-engine Devils red, the nameplate is crooked, the lettering is crooked and bubbly, the stitching comes apart easily, the customization is embroidered on, the materials are completely different, etc.  Also a lot of the knockoff jerseys can't seem to get the front NHL logo or collars right at all.  I see some with all-white or nearly all-white collars.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have seen the counterfeiters use upside down W's as M's on Cammalleri jerseys, they use a purplish-red instead of that fire-engine Devils red, the nameplate is crooked, the lettering is crooked and bubbly, the stitching comes apart easily, the customization is embroidered on, the materials are completely different, etc.  Also a lot of the knockoff jerseys can't seem to get the front NHL logo or collars right at all.  I see some with all-white or nearly all-white collars.

Damn.  Some of those issues seem pretty flagrant.  I'm definitely going to take a close look at mine when I get home tonight, but overall I was pretty happy with how it looked (I had my doubts) when I received it, and I have worn it about half dozen times without messing with its integrity so far.  Do you know if that green collar is actually a thing?  Being that the counterfeiters tend to cut corners and skimp on things whenever they can, I can't imagine they'd actually put something extra on the jersey that wasn't actually on the real ones.

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Damn.  Some of those issues seem pretty flagrant.  I'm definitely going to take a close look at mine when I get home tonight, but overall I was pretty happy with how it looked (I had my doubts) when I received it, and I have worn it about half dozen times without messing with its integrity so far.  Do you know if that green collar is actually a thing?  Being that the counterfeiters tend to cut corners and skimp on things whenever they can, I can't imagine they'd actually put something extra on the jersey that wasn't actually on the real ones.

Yeah the green collar is part of the new design for the Devils.  The Fanatics jerseys have the years screened on, while the Indo-Adidas and MiC Adidas have them sublimated.  I think the counterfeiters have been embroidering the years on from what I have seen.