Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Probably, but he really needs to show something.  He's missed 64 regular-season games and has put up 11 G and 18 A in 60 GP combined over the last two years.  I think there's supposed to be a fair amount of forwards in this season's UFA class too, so not like he can cash in a little due to slim pickins.  I'm guess MoJo will be some team's Plan C or D, after they strike out on other guys...or maybe he has to sign with a lesser team that's hoping to flip him in a deadline deal later.  He does have bargain potential though...$3 million for a guy who's shown that he can notch 20+ goals and 45-55 points when healthy isn't bad. 

He'll probably go back to Washington and put up great numbers again because he wont be spending 90% of his ice time with dumpster fire Pavel Zacha and insert-whatever-bottom-six-RW-here. In Washington he proved he was good enough to play with the Kuznetsov's and Ovechkin's of the world. Of course, we only have one player of that caliber (two if you want to throw in Nico - which in due time I would agree with - funny enough, some of Mojo's best moments in a Devils uniform have been the few times he's played with Nico) so I don't know what else we could do. We needed someone like Zacha to pan out with Mojo... Mojo is a distributor, someone like Zacha is supposed to be the sniper but he never fvcking shoots. Sucks. I can't even fathom the amount of grade-A chances I have watched Mojo create for this team just for the shooter to have it flub over his stick or some sh!t. Oh well.

Regarding the rest of this season, as much as I absolutely hate him at this point, I hope they just keep giving Kinkaid the lion's share of the net. Maybe he can throw together a 5 game good run of play or something and we can get a 6th round pick or some sh!t for him. I'm all aboard for us just getting the highest pick available at this point.

Re:  MoJo, it just seems like a classic case of "didn't work out", great as that deal seemed when it was made. 

BTW on another note, Zajac's coming up on about a full season's worth of GP where he's been about as productive as you could hope for...nice to see, especially with the rough start he got off to last season after he first came back:

First 33 games of his 2017-18 season:  5 G, 2 A, 7 Pts, 37 SOG

71 games since:  17 G, 26 A, 43 Pts, 119 SOG

He'll never be what he was on the ZZPop line, but at least he's got some good hockey left in him, as he approaches his mid-30s and 1000 GP for his career...just glad to see him bounce back over a fairly large number of games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Dreger specifically talks about “top four defensemen”.  My guess is that he’s talking about Vatanen.  I like him, but can live without him if the return is good and it helps draft position.

It’ll be exciting when the trade is announced, then disappointing when we find out the return... just like most of our games recently

If i'm Shero i'm absolutely trying to re-sign Vatanen now, he's 27, he's our best Dman and losing him would make our terrible D even worst for the next few years. We need to add to what we have, but we also need to get rid of Greene and possibly Lovejoy.

If Vatanen was on a different team... he'd be one of the players we'd be looking at from the UFA list saying we should go for him based on his age and production. 

If you can't re-sign him though you gotta trade him as he would fetch a pretty good return and we need all the assets we can

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

If i'm Shero i'm absolutely trying to re-sign Vatanen now, he's 27, he's our best Dman and losing him would make our terrible D even worst for the next few years. We need to add to what we have, but we also need to get rid of Greene and possibly Lovejoy.

If Vatanen was on a different team... he'd be one of the players we'd be looking at from the UFA list saying we should go for him based on his age and production. 

If you can't re-sign him though you gotta trade him as he would fetch a pretty good return and we need all the assets we can

Agreed, although just getting rid of Greene and Lovejoy would probably improve our D regardless of what happens with Vatanen. 

Can’t extend Vats until the summer, still has another year left, just like Hall

If the rumors are true, however, I’d imagine Vats is the Top-4 they’re talking about. I think trading Butcher or Sevs is a mistake, regardless of current slump and previous slumps, respectively.

if we need to sign a D to improve... there's not that many options on the market.

Erik Karlsson, Tyler Myers, Nick Jensen, Anton Stralman ? 

But since we have Butcher and Smith which are offensive D-man and that our D currently sucks defensively maybe we need a few solid defensive dmen so that Greene is not as necessary say we can't get rid of him, at least pushing him down would help.

As much as it's not ideal to use the market to much to rebuild... what it does is that it's giving you an extra asset which may give you flexibility to make a trade to improve a position you couldnt improve through free agency or internally

Just now, SterioDesign said:

But since we have Butcher and Smith which are offensive D-man and that our D currently sucks defensively maybe we need a few solid defensive dmen so that Greene is not as necessary say we can't get rid of him, at least pushing him down would help.

Here’s my problem with keeping Greene: we had that conversation at the end of last year, the “he needs to be moved down the lineup and he’ll be fine” one.

I honestly think you need to take the Greene bullet out of Hynes’ chamber otherwise he’ll keep using it. Hynes holds the Captain in extremely high regard, for some reason, and there is little to no chance he’ll decrease his role. It’s a glaring Hynes flaw.

Just now, Chuck the Duck said:

If Greene was a UFA at the end of this season, I could see a team taking a shot with Greene at the deadline.  However, with 1 more year left on his deal at $5 million, I doubt that trading would be a possibility this year.

Devils could take on some of Greene's remaining money, but his new team might not be so keen on Greene's $5 million cap hit.  Devils will likely either have to buy him out before next year (that'd be $1,666,667 in dead money over the next two seasons) or try to move him again next year, as he's owed less and less on his final year.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Here’s my problem with keeping Greene: we had that conversation at the end of last year, the “he needs to be moved down the lineup and he’ll be fine” one.

I honestly think you need to take the Greene bullet out of Hynes’ chamber otherwise he’ll keep using it. Hynes holds the Captain in extremely high regard, for some reason, and there is little to no chance he’ll decrease his role. It’s a glaring Hynes flaw.

He seems to trust Greene too much. I really do wonder if, while Hall is the clear leader on the ice, maybe Greene is that important to the locker room to Hynes. I just feel there is another side to things that we don't see.

Well. I hope so anyway, because other than the wacky stats that say he's amazing, I don't know what else it could be. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Andy Greene I can see us moving. 

No one would really want Greene and I believe he has a full NTC.  Vatanen on the other hand could very well command a ridiculous contract when he hits free agency.  It makes sense to sell high on him now.