Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

You hear that the Bruins want to go big game hunting in free agency, like maybe Stone or Duchene, or perhaps even Karlsson if they make it there.  Seems like you have to move out Backes to do that.  

Right, but they don't need to move all of his salary out to do that.  They can give Chara a bonus-laden one-year deal and they can bridge McAvoy.  That could leave them with $15M to sign everyone else, including one of those big names.  

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ehh that's a tough save but he's gotta stop letting in early stuff every single game. 

That being said, start him every game and lose for Hughes. Or play like caca for Kaako

i can't fault cory at all on that one - great pass to wide open streaking guy - defender in the slot looking the wrong way. cory got a push to get over enough but he was just not fast enough.

that it was early - what are you going to do.

16 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i can't fault cory at all on that one - great pass to wide open streaking guy - defender in the slot looking the wrong way. cory got a push to get over enough but he was just not fast enough.

that it was early - what are you going to do.

Yeah its not a save most people are making and honestly he got over pretty fast. I just was referring more to the stigma of letting in something early. There's not much he can do there realistically

I don't really fault Cory for that one either.  I mean, the guy was wide open and it was a one-timer, the only real issue with that is that it was a pass from the opposite corner across the crease, so you could make the argument that Cory should've been able to stop that one since the puck had to travel so far over.  

Also, how long before that Boure-Roult guy or whatever his name was is up in the NHL scoring goals for the Lightning against us, because that just seems to be what happens with them (and us).

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone else walking in the line between “I’m bored because the Devils aren’t playing” and “I’m glad I don’t have to watch that crap every other day”?

I did need a break from watching them...since that 4-0 start, they’ve had a staggering number of just flat-out rotten games.  Lately it’s been “Blake Coleman and bunch of other guys.”  Right now I’m enjoying this layoff.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I did need a break from watching them...since that 4-0 start, they’ve had a staggering number of just flat-out rotten games.  Lately it’s been “Blake Coleman and bunch of other guys.”  Right now I’m enjoying this layoff.

Same.  Good call.

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone else walking in the line between “I’m bored because the Devils aren’t playing” and “I’m glad I don’t have to watch that crap every other day”?

With the trade deadline less than a month away, I'm honestly more interested in the roster moves the Devils will do than any actual games on the schedule in the coming weeks.

I sure hope Shero manages to sell off some pieces.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

With the trade deadline less than a month away, I'm honestly more interested in the roster moves the Devils will do than any actual games on the schedule in the coming weeks.

Definitely, but the boldeed part assumes they will make roster moves. I hope they do, but I’m not expecting anything exciting. Couple guys on expiring deals going out, couple picks coming in, and watching AHL forwards make up at least half of our 12 forwards every night. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely, but the boldeed part assumes they will make roster moves. I hope they do, but I’m not expecting anything exciting. Couple guys on expiring deals going out, couple picks coming in, and watching AHL forwards make up at least half of our 12 forwards every night. 

Looking forward to movement on this team, but Schneider and Kinkaid is like having gum stuck to one shoe and sh!t on the other. Both really suck, but one is just harder to get rid of than the other. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aznjsn said:

Looking forward to movement on this team, but Schneider and Kinkaid is like having gum stuck to one shoe and sh!t on the other. Both really suck, but one is just harder to get rid of than the other. 

And, may I add, that’s a perfect excuse to get a new pair of shoes. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was 16...that one's a kinda-sorta for me, as far as remembering the details at the time...obviously remember the hellish weather and bits and pieces about the game on ice.  Unfortunately those Devils teams would get off to respectable starts, only to crumble completely as the season went on...the 1986-87 Devils started 16-14-2 and went 13-31-4 the rest of the way (they'd started 12-13-1 and then went 17-36-2 the previous season)...one thing I do remember about that game was being hopeful that the Devils might be stabilizing their season with that win (they were trying to recover from having won just 2 of their previous 15 games)...but ultimately they couldn't. 

1987-88 was headed (very maddeningly) the same way, with another solid start followed by a long malaise (15-9-4, then 13-25-1, before pulling it together with Burke's arrival)...fortunately they DID turn that one around, though it took that miracle run to do it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yep... this week has so far been a relief. Tired of not having the willpower to not watch these idiots.

Unfortunately I wasted 7 hours on Sunday watching the Rams and Patriots win though. That Super Bowl is going to be the football equivalent of Rangers vs. Flyers for me (Seahawks fan)

Once that's over though, all I'll have left is the miserable Devils so... you're right. The only compelling thing left is what assets we'll get and who goes for them.

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was 16...that one's a kinda-sorta for me, as far as remembering the details at the time...obviously remember the hellish weather and bits and pieces about the game on ice.  Unfortunately those Devils teams would get off to respectable starts, only to crumble completely as the season went on...the 1986-87 Devils started 16-14-2 and went 13-31-4 the rest of the way (they'd started 12-13-1 and then went 17-36-2 the previous season)...one thing I do remember about that game was being hopeful that the Devils might be stabilizing their season with that win (they were trying to recover from having won just 2 of their previous 15 games)...but ultimately they couldn't. 

1987-88 was headed (very maddeningly) the same way, with another solid start followed by a long malaise (15-9-4, then 13-25-1, before pulling it together with Burke's arrival)...fortunately they DID turn that one around, though it took that miracle run to do it. 

I can barely remember the arc of last season, Jesus. Besides the Streak and Lemaire's 2011 run, my memory of each season is pretty much "we didn't make the playoffs, and we lost to Columbus".

I'm exaggerating, of course, but that's all exceptional. 

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Pretty sure every team has to be represented. So with Hall injured they had to replace him with another Devil. Palms deserves it though. 

Yep, every team still needs at least one player.  I kind of like rule so that each team is represented, and although it can be a sort of pity invite in some situations, I think in this case either Hall or Palms deserved to go.  When Hall was healthy he was having a pretty good year, and Palms has certainly had a pretty exceptional year too.