Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s not so bad. 

If it’s Blindfold Night. Is it Blindfold Night?

if not, it should be, nobody needs to see all that. 

on the bright side... they just made it 6-5, Bastian has two goals, and McLeod has three primary assists so... yay?

7 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Well, he finished with 23/29 saves in a 7-5 loss. Rochester got an ENG. Bested by Scott Wedgewood who stopped 25 of 30 shots. lmao.

good night for Devils goaltending

That’s like when you used to play NHL. 94 on Sega and you and your buddy would both pull the goalies. 

• Like 1

Not that it matters because NJ has so much cap room, but having Cammalleri on the books for two more years is kind of annoying. If the Devils do elect to buy Cory out, they will have nearly 4 million in dead space due to Cammalleri, Schneider, and Kovalchuk. That is a good middle six forward, or second pair dman. 

15 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Not that it matters because NJ has so much cap room, but having Cammalleri on the books for two more years is kind of annoying. If the Devils do elect to buy Cory out, they will have nearly 4 million in dead space due to Cammalleri, Schneider, and Kovalchuk. That is a good middle six forward, or second pair dman. 

On the flip side, I’m fine with paying $4m for those 3 guys not to play. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

On the flip side, I’m fine with paying $4m for those 3 guys not to play. 

honestly wouldn't mind watching Cammalleri play 35 out of 82 games instead of drew stafford, blake pietela, kevin rooney, brett seney... etc... etc... and on... and on... and on

7 hours ago, Steven M. said:

honestly wouldn't mind watching Cammalleri play 35 out of 82 games instead of drew stafford, blake pietela, kevin rooney, brett seney... etc... etc... and on... and on... and on

Not me. The difference is, I expect nothing from those guys. While I now expect nothing from Cammalleri,  that was not always the case. 

Edited by mfitz804

11 hours ago, Steven M. said:

It's his second game. First one he let in a goal like 90 seconds in and then in the last 20 seconds of the 1st period, but the defense was atrocious. I haven't seen any of the goals tonight so I don't know. He stopped 21/23 shots in his first game (they lost 2-1, Quennville had the only goal.) Tonight they were down quite a bit, actually came back to make it 4-4 and then another few got put in by Rochester. Terrible D notwithstanding, going to be hard to gain any confidence from that type of performance.

Losses literally seek Cory out these days...doesn't matter if he gives up 2 goals or 5. 

9 hours ago, Derlique said:

Cammalleri still being here and being paid his full cap hit to do very little would have been a lot more annoying...his last two seasons in the NHL were pretty brutal.  Sure, Devils are stuck with dead money for a couple of years, but it's not a huge hit, and like you said, not like they're up against the cap. 

I'm OK with a Schneider buyout...they'll regain $4 million of the $6 million he had coming to him in each of the next three seasons.  Yeah, it will cost them $2 million in dead money in each of the three years following, but I don't know how the Devils can keep him around if he's simply unable to recover from his hip issues. 

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

Why not just LTIR him if he has to retire early? 

Can they loan him off cap overseas?

Only ~1M comes off the cap if Schneider is loaned anywhere besides the NHL.  That's not a solution.

LTIR is only an option if Schneider decides he's done and the Devils can fabricate an injury.  If Schneider wants to keep playing, and I imagine he does, this isn't a realistic option.

I feel bad for Cory, he's a great guy, couldn't be nicer to the fans and seems like a great teammate. Even when he could he never threw his teammates under the bus in post game interviews. 

It's a shame he had this injury, the surgery recovery is clearly affecting him physically and we can only guess how much mentally now. 

I hope he can somehow, someway turn it around but it's really not looking good.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I feel bad for Cory, he's a great guy, couldn't be nicer to the fans and seems like a great teammate. Even when he could he never threw his teammates under the bus in post game interviews. 

It's a shame he had this injury, the surgery recovery is clearly affecting him physically and we can only guess how much mentally now. 

I hope he can somehow, someway turn it around but it's really not looking good.

He was the only source of light in some extremely dark years. It's one of the worst things, sports wise, that could have happened for me in the past five years. He really was great for us at the wrong time. Still pretty unfathomable how bad it has become.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Steven M. said:

He was the only source of light in some extremely dark years. It's one of the worst things, sports wise, that could have happened for me in the past five years. He really was great for us at the wrong time. Still pretty unfathomable how bad it has become.

It was always bad; at least with our fans.  Since day 1 he has been treated by a sizeable contingent of fans as an usurper to Marty's throne even in times when Marty was clearly finished as a player.  It was only his elite play in his first 3 seasons here (13-14 through 15-16) that kept those mongrels largely at bay.  Now that he is struggling, those people have been empowered to sh!t on him any chance they can get while at the same time elevating Kinkaid, whom they bizarrely believe that he is both an NHL-capable full-time starter and the "true" heir to Marty's throne.  What's worse is that the even larger fair-weather and casual fans have been following their lead in being very vocal about how much they dislike Cory.

I want Cory to not play a single game for the team again.  It would be the merciful thing to do in light of how he has been treated since he got here from the toxic elements in our fanbase.  We simply never deserved him.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Now I know exactly what happened to Cory.

It's more accurate than you think.  I have seen dozens, if not more, posts from people saying they hate Cory simply because he "whined" his way into the starters job away from Marty who was "outplaying" him back in the 13-14 season.  I kid you not.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's more accurate than you think.  I have seen dozens, if not more, posts from people saying they hate Cory simply because he "whined" his way into the starters job away from Marty who was "outplaying" him back in the 13-14 season.  I kid you not.

That is definitive proof that not all stupid people are Rangers fans. 

The reverse, of course, is still true. 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Mutantspeak.  Screw those clowns.

• Like 1