Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

Even if they did play center, why does that push Zajac out? Zajac in the 3C role or even 4C in the year after that would be fine. Who gives a sh!t how much money he makes, we're not the ones paying him. We aren't going to be anywhere near the cap any time soon, even with the theoretical contracts for Hall / Nico, etc. 

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

You're not going to replace Zajac in free agency and if you do you'll just go through the same issue with the free agent.  His play absolutely will decline but the Devils can live with that - they need to put someone in front of Zajac on the depth chart, not get rid of him and then have 2 holes to fill.

I know we like to pretend Zajac is some sort of unique player, but I don't agree that it would be impossible to replace him.  That's not to say Zajac isn't good at what he does - he clearly is a very capable defensive forward - but getting a 3C in free agency isn't an impossible task.

In this hypothetical scenario, we'd be getting an asset for Zajac and replacing him for 'free' in free agency.  If said asset is a 1st round pick or something I don't see how you can't make the deal.

Now in reality, Zajac probably fetches a 3rd at best and that's probably not going through the headache of having to replace him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Could have sworn he was.  Oh well, so I guess ending up with Hughes is where the scenario makes sense.

You're partially right:  https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/kaapo-kakko-is-proving-hes-the-real-deal-for-the-2019-draft

The question now becomes one of potential. Because of his smarts and size, Kakko could easily be a center in the NHL and he has begun to play down the middle with TPS Turku in the Liiga. At the world juniors, he’s been back on right wing and that’s fine by him for now.

“I feel more comfortable on the wing but I can play center,” Kakko said through translator and teammate Aarne Talvitie. “I think I get more offensive opportunities as a winger, so in this tournament I like it more on the wing.”

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I know we like to pretend Zajac is some sort of unique player, but I don't agree that it would be impossible to replace him.  That's not to say Zajac isn't good at what he does - he clearly is a very capable defensive forward - but getting a 3C in free agency isn't an impossible task.

In this hypothetical scenario, we'd be getting an asset for Zajac and replacing him for 'free' in free agency.  If said asset is a 1st round pick or something I don't see how you can't make the deal.

Now in reality, Zajac probably fetches a 3rd at best and that's probably not going through the headache of having to replace him.

I'm not pretending Zajac is some unique player, but the trouble is that free agency seldom offers good players -  it is difficult to replace players of Zajac's ability in free agency.  A lot of centers don't make it to UFA.  A player who does everything Zajac does for the Devils, even less often.  Plus teams want guys who can do what Zajac does, so they tend to be expensive.

Zajac plays 5 on 5, PK, and PP for NJ.  He's had a real comeback season.  This team needs more good players, not fewer.  If they could've gotten a 1st round pick for him in 2015-16, great, go ahead.  This team has to be good next year and it's going to be harder to do that without Zajac.

Here's something that will hopefully lift our spirits a bit as we wait for this impending L to the Islanders. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/taylor-hall-considering-future-with-new-jersey/c-304584246

Hall happy, mulling future with Devils, says agent

Reigning Hart Trophy winner could sign new contract July 1

"I recently met [Hall] in Montreal and we had a great chat and he loves the New Jersey Devils, he loves the fan base there," Darren Ferris said on the "Stellick and Simmer in the Morning" show on Sirius/XM Radio on Thursday. "I think this type of discussion, at the end of the year, is something where he's going to sit down with his family and with [general manager Ray Shero] and strategize to say, 'OK, how is this going to look going forward' and then probably make a decision there.

from your keyboard to God's eyes, Mike Morreale

Obviously not some concrete news of anything but nice to hear regardless. 

Edited by Steven M.
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Here's something that will hopefully lift our spirits a bit as we wait for this impending L to the Islanders. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/taylor-hall-considering-future-with-new-jersey/c-304584246

Hall happy, mulling future with Devils, says agent

Reigning Hart Trophy winner could sign new contract July 1

from your keyboard to God's eyes, Mike Morreale

Obviously not some concrete news of anything but nice to hear regardless. 

442DE668-40BE-4A32-8F74-7DD66D5D1471.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

definitely nice to hear from halls agent, but lets be honest if it was the other way around and hall privately told him he wanted to go somewhere else do we really think his agent would come out and publicly say that? 

No, but he might be inclined not to say anything at all.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

definitely nice to hear from halls agent, but lets be honest if it was the other way around and hall privately told him he wanted to go somewhere else do we really think his agent would come out and publicly say that? 

There's a million instances of agents saying their client is either neutral or unhappy with a place. You need look no further than like a week and a half and ago when Panarin's agent essentially stated that his client will not be with the CBJ beyond this season (when you read between the lines.)

I know we're Devils fans, so the man is always out to get us or whatever the hell, but there's no reason to take this as anything less than mildly encouraging. There's no obligation for this guy to rave about Shero and state how much Hall "loves the New Jersey Devils and their fanbase." The degree to which you are encouraged by it is certainly up to you, but I definitely don't see it as a "he had to say that" type of article.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Idk Boyle brought back a 2nd...

Boyle's a rental...Preds don't owe him anything after this season, and he's not costing them much for the rest of the year.

Zajac still has two years and $5.75 million coming to him over each of his remaining years...some teams might find that prohibitive (unless the Devils take on a percentage of the hit). 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Boyle's a rental...Preds don't owe him anything after this season, and he's not costing them much for the rest of the year.

Zajac still has two years and $5.75 million coming to him over each of his remaining years...some teams might find that prohibitive (unless the Devils take on a percentage of the hit). 

That’s true. Personally, I think he’s worth that money, but like you said it might scare some teams away. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

That’s true. Personally, I think he’s worth that money, but like you said it might scare some teams away. 

I think we're so used to having oodles of cap space that we forget that other teams that might be interesting in adding Zajac may not have the room to fit him in over the next two years.

I'm hoping he stays here myself...I can't say that I'd be 100% opposed to him being dealt, but like Tri mentioned, even if he declines, I think you can still find a role for him.  It hasn't always been smooth sailing for him, but I remain a fan of his...I'd love to see him reach 1000 GP (needs 107 more) and 600+ points (needs 108) as a Devil.  The former is definitely within reach if he stays healthy...the latter will be tough.  Assuming he manages to miss no games at all (not likely), he would need to notch those 108 points in 193 games from now through the end of his contract.  About 46 points per 82 GP...but obviously for every game he misses, he'd need to produce at a higher and higher rate.  600 doesn't seem possible unless he re-signs. 

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Go ahead and ask the Leafs, Caps, Oilers, etc.. if they think Zajac is worth 5.75M for the next two years.

I mean it clearly doesn't matter to us since we're a cap floor team for some reason, but Zajac ain't worth his contract.  Never has been, never will be.  Hasn't impacted us negatively, though, so it is what it is.

Edited by Devilsfan118

21 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Go ahead and ask the Leafs, Caps, Oilers, etc.. if they think Zajac is worth 5.75M for the next two years.

I mean it clearly doesn't matter to us since we're a cap floor team for some reason, but Zajac ain't worth his contract.  Never has been, never will be.  Hasn't impacted us negatively, though, so it is what it is.

The Oilers pay Milan Lucic 6M a year, they have no room to knock Zajac’s contract...

i was going to say the Caps overpay Lars Eller, but he actually makes slightly less than I thought (3.5M)

the Leafs are whole other story. 

25 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Zajac is not worth 5.75M going forward, but his performance this year looks to be worth something around $5M on the open market.  It isn't easy to find players who can do what Zajac does.  The issue with his tenure here has often been that he's been put in spots where he's bound to fail.  He's not a dynamic player.  He doesn't make great plays in space, he's not a great skater, he's not particularly creative.  He is, however, great on a hard forechecking line - great along the boards.  With Jagr and Parise he shined, with Kovalchuk and Cammalleri he wilted.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And I’m starting to really not like this staff. 

Me either.  I mean wtf?  So without Vatanen in the lineup they're rather go with Mueller, Santini, or the soon-to-be-31 year old Eric fvckking Gryba?  How many times are they going to pass up on him and choose other guys before him?  When he's up here he plays pretty sound defense and also contributes offensively.  The guy isn't perfect, but he's young and looks like he has potential.  Keep him up here with the big club and let him work through whatever issues he may have while it doesn't matter.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I want Shero and Mueller to have DNA testing done.  I'm starting to suspect there's some distant relation there.

I am starting to think it is a sunk cost fallacy. They put so much effort/resources into Mueller and Santini and can't accept the reality. Yak is going to walk after this year and I don't blame him. 

• Like 1