Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am starting to think it is a sunk cost fallacy. They put so much effort/resources into Mueller and Santini and can't accept the reality. Yak is going to walk after this year and I don't blame him. 

What exactly have they put into Mueller?  Dude was acquired last year, wasn't he?  I feel like we have almost nothing vested in him and his contract is up this season as an RFA.  Tender him an offer if you want, pay him $1M to be the 7th defenseman next year, on an as-needed basis if someone gets hurt.  But he absolutely shouldn't be getting time over Yak who's played better in all aspects, with much less time and opportunities.

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What exactly have they put into Mueller?  Dude was acquired last year, wasn't he?  I feel like we have almost nothing vested in him and his contract is up this season as an RFA.  Tender him an offer if you want, pay him $1M to be the 7th defenseman next year, on an as-needed basis if someone gets hurt.  But he absolutely shouldn't be getting time over Yak who's played better in all aspects, with much less time and opportunities.

I think he’s referring to the 2nd and 3rd

49 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

37 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Yea, the picks, but also the effort sunk into him by the coaching staff as well. They thought Mueller would have a higher ceiling and they aren't willing to give up on him yet.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

2017 2nd and 2017 4th actually, for Mueller (and San Jose's 2017 5th)

As much as I'm not impressed by Mueller's overall body of work as a Devil to date (and admittedly I'm pretty much done with him), might as well play him from here on out and find out if he's got anything that leads Shero to believe that he's worth keeping around.  Devils have nothing to lose.

Kinda sucks that Shero's more recent "picks for player" deals haven't worked out as well as Palms, but at the same time, easy to forget how little he inherited, both at the NHL and maybe even more so at the AHL level.  The picks were just about the only asset he had to send to other teams, in trying to get some "NHL now guys".  And sometimes you take a chance on a guy you think has some upside and isn't 2+ years away from helping your team.  I do remember Tri not being terribly thrilled about Mueller at the time...looks like he was right about that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

If they were fully giving up on Yakovlev they would've just sent him back to Russia - he has a European Assignment Clause in his contract, so he can choose to play in Russia under this contract.

It has seemed at times that Hynes will pick anyoine but Yak though. Haven't they seen enough of Mueller and Santini to have a reasonable idea of what sort of players they have there? And as it would take more than another herculean season from Hall to drag this team into the playoffs surely it would make sense to give Yakovlev a run of games to see if he's worth keeping on beyond this season? I fully admit I'm no expert but he's looked pretty decent when he's played to me. Mueller, for instance, though doesn't seem to have progressed one little bit since he signed. I really can't figure out what the coaching staff are thinking in this situation.

heard some snippets from Elliot Friedman. He said he heard some rumblings about Hall potentially being available and checked with Shero who said zero chance. Friedman said that he believes that Devils ownership is willing to spend $ to be bring in more players but that a factor is in waiting to see how much Hall costs, thinks Hall will cost 10+ per. He thinks Hall will sign an extension to stay in New Jersey but will want to hear what the plan is first. 

12 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

heard some snippets from Elliot Friedman. He said he heard some rumblings about Hall potentially being available and checked with Shero who said zero chance. Friedman said that he believes that Devils ownership is willing to spend $ to be bring in more players but that a factor is in waiting to see how much Hall costs, thinks Hall will cost 10+ per. He thinks Hall will sign an extension to stay in New Jersey but will want to hear what the plan is first. 

It is almost circular. Hall wants to see what the plan is to draw in better players, better players want to see Hall stay a Devil because he is 80% of the team right now.

19 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I mean, on the one hand, Auston Matthews just signed an extension for $11+m AAV, is Hall worth $10=m?

On the other hand, Matthews probably gets more if Toronto has the space for it. We have the space for it and then some. 

If he wants 8 years/$80 million, I think you give it to him. I think I might even go 8 years/$88m. I think locking him down will be a big part of our future rebuild because of...

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is almost circular. Hall wants to see what the plan is to draw in better players, better players want to see Hall stay a Devil because he is 80% of the team right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

that occurred to me to. I really like Shero but it is unfortunate the team wasn't able to add anything this past offseason to build on their progress and instead regress from last year when they probably overachieved. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, on the one hand, Auston Matthews just signed an extension for $11+m AAV, is Hall worth $10=m?

On the other hand, Matthews probably gets more if Toronto has the space for it. We have the space for it and then some. 

If he wants 8 years/$80 million, I think you give it to him. I think I might even go 8 years/$88m. I think locking him down will be a big part of our future rebuild because of...

One factor to keep in mind is the Leafs are generally buying cheaper RFA years in Mathews case whereas for Hall the team paying him is buying pricier UFA years. I agree they have to keep this guy and I am sure Shero knows it, getting Hall has been his crowning achievement here if he loses Hall the rebuild is basically back to the sh!tter. 

I know there's so much love for Lovejoy here, you'll all be relieved that he doesn't want to go anywhere and may retire in NJ (eventually)! :evil: 

“I love it here,” Lovejoy told NJ Advance Media. "I’ve loved playing here, I’ve loved living here, I’ve loved being a Devil, coming to the rink every day. We have not been successful enough this year and I understand when that happens, changes are made, particularly at the deadline.

“I am a Devil right now. I have too much respect for the owners, management, coaches, our players, people that work here. I’m going to give everything I have as long as I’m a Devil..." 

“At this point in my life, with three young children, this is the best place I’ve ever lived," Lovejoy said. "We love living in New Jersey. It’s a place we found really special that we could end up living at for the rest of our lives.” 

https://www.nj.com/devils/2019/02/nhl-trade-rumors-how-devils-ben-lovejoy-is-approaching-trade-deadline-its-something-i-think-about-every-day.html

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I know there's so much love for Lovejoy here, you'll all be relieved that he doesn't want to go anywhere and may retire in NJ (eventually)! :evil: 

“I love it here,” Lovejoy told NJ Advance Media. "I’ve loved playing here, I’ve loved living here, I’ve loved being a Devil, coming to the rink every day. We have not been successful enough this year and I understand when that happens, changes are made, particularly at the deadline.

“I am a Devil right now. I have too much respect for the owners, management, coaches, our players, people that work here. I’m going to give everything I have as long as I’m a Devil..." 

“At this point in my life, with three young children, this is the best place I’ve ever lived," Lovejoy said. "We love living in New Jersey. It’s a place we found really special that we could end up living at for the rest of our lives.” 

https://www.nj.com/devils/2019/02/nhl-trade-rumors-how-devils-ben-lovejoy-is-approaching-trade-deadline-its-something-i-think-about-every-day.html

Lovejoy gets it. It is the best place he’s ever lived. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

People can hate on the guy, but he has been fine this year and last in his role on the 3rd pair. He's also consistently been one of the more interesting interviews and is generally worth listening to, which can't be said of many boring ass hockey players. I'll miss him when he's gone, even if he's nothing special.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

People can hate on the guy, but he has been fine this year and last in his role on the 3rd pair. He's also consistently been one of the more interesting interviews and is generally worth listening to, which can't be said of many boring ass hockey players. I'll miss him when he's gone, even if he's nothing special.

You’re right. He hasn’t been THAT bad. My issue is the season is over, Hynes should be playing youth letting guys get experience, yet Rev Greene and Eric fvcking Gryba are getting minutes while Yak rots in Bing. I honestly think Hynes doesn’t have the balls to tell a vet on defense that they have to sit a game, so you have to take the option away from him.

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You’re right. He hasn’t been THAT bad. My issue is the season is over, Hynes should be playing youth letting guys get experience, yet Rev Greene and Eric fvcking Gryba are getting minutes while Yak rots in Bing. I honestly think Hynes doesn’t have the balls to tell a vet on defense that they have to sit a game, so you have to take the option away from him.

Nah, I agree with you, but we're not going to get any value out of him riding out the next few weeks in the press box. He WILL be traded, you can bank on that.

Gryba? Yeah. No excuse for that other than we are explicitly tanking without saying it. Same thing with playing trash ass Gabriel. The issue I have with Gryba over Yak specifically is Yakovlev has AT MINIMUM shown enough flashes of talent that he is still a question mark going forward of will he useful to bring back for next year? We're not answering that question by playing sh!tty Gryba over him, but I guess the fact that he keeps getting yo-yo'd around basically answers my question.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Shero draft pick in the 5th round of 2010.

AHL MVP during the 2016-2017 season.

A few years ago I played golf with a couple of friends of his. The one dude had a Calgary Flames hat on (not a hat you see in Jersey very much lol), so I asked him what the deal was, and he said ‘they traded for one of my best friends, Kenny Agostino’ (I think he was dealt for Iginla). Pretty cool that he gets to come home. I think he and Palms played against each other (Palms at CBA, Agostino at Delbarton).

Edited by MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A few years ago I played golf with a couple of friends of his. The one dude had a Calgary Flames hat on (not a hat you see in Jersey very much lol), so I asked him what the deal was, and he said ‘they traded for one of my best friends, Kenny Agostino’ (I think he was dealt for Iginla). Pretty cool that he gets to come home. I think he and Palms played against each other (Palms at CBA, Agostino at Delbarton).

I think Palms went to St. Peter's but I don't know if he finished there. JVR and his siblings went to CBA. 

Kenny and Johnny Gaudreau played against one another in high school.

Image result for johnny gaudreau kenny agostino

• Like 2