Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

20 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ben Lovejoy called {INSERT LATEST EMBARRASSING LOSS} "one of the worst games I've ever been part of." 

That does it!  Another meeting! 

Image result for planning to plan

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they just shut Hall down for the rest of the year at this rate.

Meaningless hockey from here on out.  Literally no reason to get him back in the lineup, and if the injury is something that has the potential to linger long-term.. 

It’s ridiculous they haven’t given an update on the team’s star player. His absence is the main reason the fans have had to suffer miserably through this season. Any other market and the media would have extracted some information by now. I hope this isn’t an injury that could lead to chronic and structural issues down the line. 

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

It’s ridiculous they haven’t given an update on the team’s star player. His absence is the main reason the fans have had to suffer miserably through this season. Any other market and the media would have extracted some information by now. I hope this isn’t an injury that could lead to chronic and structural issues down the line. 

Lol what does knowing about his injury do for us fans? He isn't playing, I don't need to know if he is keeping it elevated or whatever. If he isn't on the ice at game time then I know he is still hurt.

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Lol what does knowing about his injury do for us fans? He isn't playing, I don't need to know if he is keeping it elevated or whatever. If he isn't on the ice at game time then I know he is still hurt.

That’s exactly how I feel, but it’s still amazing in 2019 when everyone demands information NOW. Ultimately, it’s Taylor’s business and while we may want to know, we don’t “need” or “deserve” to know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Details, my friend. Some fans like to know what’s going on to the team’s best player and the reason for his absence for quarter of a dreadful season. I’m not looking for a stool sample analysis, just any update, really, because if this is a serious injury, then that can lead to chronic issues. Adds more context to watching games. These CIA-level “he’s not skating” updates every three weeks do not give any information as to his possible return.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

Details, my friend. Some fans like to know what’s going on to the team’s best player and the reason for his absence for quarter of a dreadful season. I’m not looking for a stool sample analysis, just any update, really, because if this is a serious injury, then that can lead to chronic issues. Adds more context to watching games. These CIA-level “he’s not skating” updates every three weeks do not give any information as to his possible return.

I demand the stool sample. The rest of the team has been sh!tting all over the ice, so it’s only fair. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s exactly how I feel, but it’s still amazing in 2019 when everyone demands information NOW. Ultimately, it’s Taylor’s business and while we may want to know, we don’t “need” or “deserve” to know. 

Id say we deserve a better update at the very least. I’ve never heard of a team sitting dead last in its division withholding injury updates on this scale. You only see that in the playoffs and for good reason. What possible reason would the Devils have to not give better updates? That tells me it’s either very serious (which fans ought to be informed) or he friggin stubbed his toe and they want to be extra cautious with him and promote tanking, and if it’s the latter I’d be pretty annoyed because it’s subjected us to misery on the ice. Either way, anything beyond these meager updates, the fans deserve. We’ve all been watching this sh!t show with Rooney Seney Gabriel and Gryba for months now.

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

Id say we deserve a better update at the very least. I’ve never heard of a team sitting dead last in its division withholding injury updates on this scale. You only see that in the playoffs and for good reason. What possible reason would the Devils have to not give better updates? That tells me it’s either very serious (which fans ought to be informed) or he friggin stubbed his toe and they want to be extra cautious with him and promote tanking, and if it’s the latter I’d be pretty annoyed because it’s subjected us to misery on the ice. Either way, anything beyond these meager updates, the fans deserve. We’ve all been watching this sh!t show with Rooney Seney Gabriel and Gryba for months now.

I understand your argument. But I disagree completely. Just because we’re fans of the team doesn’t mean we are entitled to know these kind of details. 

If it is about tanking (although we were doing a fine job with him in the lineup), they can’t tell you. Do you think they’d admit that? No way. 

It's crazy that  I was criticized (quite heavily) earlier in the season for mentioning the fact that during a contract year Hall's injury was slightly concerning given the fact that he had a small issue last year and then again had one this season as well, and here we are two months later, and he hasn't played a single game since then, and no word whatsoever on what the injury actually is. 

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's crazy that  I was criticized (quite heavily) earlier in the season for mentioning the fact that during a contract year Hall's injury was slightly concerning given the fact that he had a small issue last year and then again had one this season as well, and here we are two months later, and he hasn't played a single game since then, and no word whatsoever on what the injury actually is. 

This is directed at me and you were not "slightly" concerned.  You were making him out to be Cammalleri 2.0.

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It’s not a contract year, he’s still under contract. We’re looking to extend him, but that’s not my understanding of the term. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

This is directed at me and you were not "slightly" concerned.  You were making him out to be Cammalleri 2.0.

Not only at you, but it's good to see you have self-awareness 😛😉  I never compared him to Cammalleri or implied that he's made of glass, but for all of the people saying "back up the brinks truck" and give him whatever he wants this off-season, that might not be the best idea.  Hell, there's an equally number of people saying they don't care if Hall were moved (I think yourself included), so how the hell could you justify giving him a blank check if he's not even integral to our team's future, especially with these injury concerns now to boot?

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

My recollection was issue having been taking with his durability when he missed 8 games for a knee surgery. 

Clearly, this extended absence is concerning, but it could be due to an acute rather than a chronic injury. We don’t know. 

I’d love to know. But I don’t feel like I “deserve” to know, as it doesn’t change anything whether I do or don’t. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

My recollection was issue having been taking with his durability when he missed 8 games for a knee surgery. 

Clearly, this extended absence is concerning, but it could be due to an acute rather than a chronic injury. We don’t know. 

I’d love to know. But I don’t feel like I “deserve” to know, as it doesn’t change anything whether I do or don’t. 

Bingo.  At the time he was going on and on about his injury history when there wasn't much of one.  And now, after Hall misses 20+ games this season he wants to take a victory lap of "I told ya so!"

lol can't make this up.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Exactly - and of course we didn't know at the time that this injury would continue for a few more months, but my point at the time was that he could have (and turns out, it did), and I just didn't think it was worth ignoring at the time.  Some things aren't worth speculating about, sure, no one likes to play the what-if game too often and worry about things that may or may not happen, but in the case of our star/franchise player, I think it's warranted.  That's all I was saying back then.  Believe me, in this situation, I'm not glad it turned out to be true.  I honestly have no idea what to expect now, since we've been in the dark about the injury.  

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bingo.  At the time he was going on and on about his injury history when there wasn't much of one.  And now, after Hall misses 20+ games this season he wants to take a victory lap of "I told ya so!"

lol can't make this up.

No not at all - in reference to my above post, everyone else that wasn't sharing the same opinion as me was basically casting it off like it could never happen.  It wasn't as much of looking at the previous 8 games he missed as much as it was contemplating "what-if" he missed continued time?  Forget about who's right and who's wrong - here we are, and that has happened.  So I ask you honestly and sincerely, what now?  How do you feel?  Do you still throw anything and everything at him this summer and sign him to 8 years ~12M?

Edited by NJDfan1711

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True, that's what I meant though - trying to get him signed before it's up.

Yeah, I knew what you meant. 

I should also point out, I can understand why you would not want to broadcast the injuries (and as such, his weaknesses when he returns) of your star player. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

No not at all - in reference to my above post, everyone else that wasn't sharing the same opinion as me was basically casting it off like it could never happen.  It wasn't as much of looking at the previous 8 games he missed as much as it was contemplating "what-if" he missed continued time?  Forget about who's right and who's wrong - here we are, and that has happened.  So I ask you honestly and sincerely, what now?  How do you feel?  Do you still throw anything and everything at him this summer and sign him to 8 years ~12M?

You can’t know the answer to that because you are on the outside looking in and you don’t know the extent of it. The people who have the ability to make that offer certainly do. 

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

He's unlikely to get $12M (I think he will get around $10M).

However, unlike a couple months ago, circumstances have changed.  I am still firmly in the sign him at almost any cost.

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You can’t know the answer to that because you are on the outside looking in and you don’t know the extent of it. The people who have the ability to make that offer certainly do. 

I'm not wanting to know what Shero will do, I'm asking DM84 (and you, or anyone else).

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

He's unlikely to get $12M (I think he will get around $10M).

However, unlike a couple months ago, circumstances have changed.  I am still firmly in the sign him at almost any cost.

Precisely.  That's my thinking.  I honestly would offer even 9M for 8 years.  It's still a good amount of money, and it's the term that counts (I would imagine).  He claims to like it here, and the coach, so I don't see why he wouldn't agree to that.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I understand that, and what I’m telling you is, anyone who answers that question is doing so without the relevant information. 

Don't overthink it dude lol.  Use the information at hand.  That's all I'm saying:   given what we know, what do you offer him this summer?  And has your opinion changed since two months ago?

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Don't overthink it dude lol.  Use the information at hand.  That's all I'm saying:   given what we know, what do you offer him this summer?  And has your opinion changed since two months ago?

There’s a difference between thinking and overthinking. The last two months don’t mean anything to me in terms of what I would offer him, because I don’t know the information. Whatever value you add or subtract based on the last two months is based on complete speculation.

Maybe you think that throwing out opinions without a basis for them is “not overthinking”. But I don’t.