Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ok, so Noesen in with a 50% AHL lineup, and the MVP, 1D, and former top prospect all out. And people are upset we aren’t tanking hard enough? 

EDIT: #2 goal scorer on the team out as well. 

Edited by mfitz804

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ok, so Noesen in with a 50% AHL lineup, and the MVP, 1D, and former top prospect all out. And people are upset we aren’t tanking hard enough? 

It's not our fault, there are just other teams in the league that just suck too bad to let us be last.....

For those of you going to tomorrow's 90's night game.  From the Devils:

For the first time, the Local Ford Classic Devils Race will take place during the second intermission. The race features three new racing mascots inspired by the likenesses of Devils legends Ken Daneyko, Chico Resch and Patrik Elias for an alumni-inspired, on-ice, big head character race. Daneyko and Elias both played for the Devils during the 1990s, while Resch was a TV Broadcaster during the decade.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

For those of you going to tomorrow's 90's night game.  From the Devils:

For the first time, the Local Ford Classic Devils Race will take place during the second intermission. The race features three new racing mascots inspired by the likenesses of Devils legends Ken Daneyko, Chico Resch and Patrik Elias for an alumni-inspired, on-ice, big head character race. Daneyko and Elias both played for the Devils during the 1990s, while Resch was a TV Broadcaster during the decade.

Isn’t any likeness of Dano a big head character by default??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

When you point it out like that, it really is amazing we're able to win any games with what's missing from our lineup right now.  I guess we'll see if Schneider can steal some games and get on some type of hot streak, but it might speak to the chemistry and teamwork that the guys have which is responsible for the mild success they've had lately and the ability to come away with a few wins in spite of their best talent missing from the roster.

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

When you point it out like that, it really is amazing we're able to win any games with what's missing from our lineup right now.  I guess we'll see if Schneider can steal some games and get on some type of hot streak, but it might speak to the chemistry and teamwork that the guys have which is responsible for the mild success they've had lately and the ability to come away with a few wins in spite of their best talent missing from the roster.

And, their best talent isn't even that great, aside from Hall. I'm not sure Vatanen is a true 1D, and I think we all know how I feel about Zacha, though he's been showing me something lately and he may deserve a new meme soon. 

• Like 2

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts: “New Jersey GM Ray Shero was aggressive with Brian Boyle, and it sounds like he’s done the same with Marcus Johansson. I’ve heard Columbus, Edmonton, San Jose and Vancouver as teams who have checked in. Possibly Washington, too, since they know him. The Canucks are the odd fit, but they looked at Andre Burakovsky, too. So maybe they are thinking about something for the future or are trying to replace the injured Sven Baertschi.”    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-stealth-suitor-emerge-matt-duchene/

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts: “New Jersey GM Ray Shero was aggressive with Brian Boyle, and it sounds like he’s done the same with Marcus Johansson. I’ve heard Columbus, Edmonton, San Jose and Vancouver as teams who have checked in. Possibly Washington, too, since they know him. The Canucks are the odd fit, but they looked at Andre Burakovsky, too. So maybe they are thinking about something for the future or are trying to replace the injured Sven Baertschi.”    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-stealth-suitor-emerge-matt-duchene/

Do it before he breaks again.

• Like 2

Lotta smoke today...

First the news broke that the Caps were putting Dimitry Jaskin on waivers, when he wasn't at practice. Then, DSP was pulled off and instead placed on waivers. A team official even initially said that his absence was due to him being on waivers (Jaskin)

After the fact, Todd Reirden (their HC) said that "a lot of stuff is going on behind the scenes and the team made the decision."

Following that, one of the main guy's with the prominent Capitals blog "Russian Machine Never Breaks" tweeted that "League sources say the Capitals have a trade in the works. Looking to clear money for it."

and perhaps most credibly, in an Islanders Q&A on the Athletic, Isles beat writer Arthur Staple had this to say with regards to if the Isles would be interested in Johansson:

" @Kyle K. I like Johansson and I've heard Trotz does as well from their days in DC. I've also heard the Caps are pushing hardest to get Johansson back and there's a decently long list of suitors, so the Isles without their 2019 3rd or 4th may not have the assets to get in a bidding war."

https://theathletic.com/826631/2019/02/19/live-islanders-qa-with-arthur-staple-on-wednesday-from-12-1-p-m-et/

I think something might go down today, but we'll see.

40 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

2019 3rd or 4th hahahaha

Sign Marjo to an extension for pete's sake! 

I wish they would, I really don't want to have to relegate my MoJo jersey to the closet for a while

Regardless, I think Staple's point was they don't have the ADDITIONAL assets to throw on top. meaning they can't add in those picks on top of whatever else whereas other teams can.

Now Bob McKenzie is tweeting speculation that he believes it could be something worked out with LAK for a depth piece like Carl Hagelin (3.5 mil) or Kyle Clifford (2mil) but they won't be able to actually complete the trade until DSP clears waivers tomorrow. So... He also said that there is nothing at all set in stone about that and that it's all speculation, so now I am backing off the ledge and thinking that maybe something won't happen tonight.

Edited by Steven M.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Word is the Caps are about to make a deal with LA, maybe for Hagelin, and they're waiting for DSP to clear waivers.

And I'm starting to get a good feeling that Mojo is going to bring back a first.

Wow Daniel, that's pretty optimistic

34 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Are we going to draft a low second round pick who is better than mojo. Who is playing at a top 6 Level right now and for the  last Month? I doubt it... resign him..Unless we do better than a low 2nd rounder.. no pressure

I’d have no issue re-signing him. But he has to bring back better than a 2nd if we’re trading. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d have no issue re-signing him. But he has to bring back better than a 2nd if we’re trading. 

My feelings exactly. The way he's been playing recently has show what a player he can be and I'd hate to lose that. So, no low ball offers should be considered. But better than a 2nd you'd have to consider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Wow Daniel, that's pretty optimistic

It is, but I think a bunch of teams are resigned to giving up a first rounder for whatever they end up acquiring.  Johansson is one of the few that you don’t have to add a good prospect along with that.  So we’ll see.