Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

3. Devils GM Ray Shero pointed out that, too often in the offer sheet debate, a crucial element is skipped over: That the player actually wants to sign the offer sheet. While there are often cases to be made for teams offering these players a deal, the player has to want to do it too.
“It’s not one of those things where you go, ‘Hey, here you go, sign this,’” Shero said. “Everyone talks about offer sheets, like, ‘why didn’t a team do this?’ You missed the part where the player actually has to agree to sign.”

4. Speaking of which, Shero has his own contract negotiation to worry about this summer. Taylor Hall will be entering the final year of his contract next season and can sign an extension with the Devils on July 1. There’s a big raise coming from the $6 million Hall is earning now. Shero said he hasn’t engaged in any talks yet with Hall’s agent Darren Ferris, which is consistent with how he’s always handled franchise players in this spot.
“I’ve never talked with a player during a year before the end of the year – (Sidney) Crosby, (Kris) Letang, (Marc-Andre) Fleury – it would be well after the season. You have a year left,” Shero said. “We’ll sit down and talk. He’s an important player for our franchise.”

5. At the trade deadline, we saw the trend of teams moving players with term on their contracts continue to be an effective strategy. There seems to be a higher appetite among GMs to use assets on players who will contribute beyond just the one playoff run while shopping at the deadline. So with that in mind, was there any consideration in the Devils front office about shopping Hall at the deadline?
“Less than ****ing zero,” Shero said. “Zero percent. Someone (in the media) asked me that two weeks before the deadline. Zero chance. Zero. Just to make it clear.”
So, one percent?
“Zero. Zero,” Shero said. “It was zero.” https://theathletic.com/855696/2019/03/07/gms-offseason-priorities-blackhawks-looking-to-spend-sabres-looking-to-deal-rangers-a-wild-card-and-more/#_=_

He sounds pretty confident Hall will re-sign. Otherwise, you don’t tell the guy how bad you want him because you lose any negotiating power. Or at least, that Shero will do whatever he can. He will offer a ton of money and hope it works. 

• Like 2

First rule about offer sheets, don't talk about offer sheets. 

Also - yes - you can offer one, and yes, the player has to sign it, and yes the team will likely match...but it's also a tactic potentially used to screw up another team's roster by messing with salary structure

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Also, Bratt is not very durable at all. 

That’s kind of unfair. The biggest injury he’s had so far was a broken jaw from a puck to the face. Don’t think many players are coming out of that unscathed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Everyone is out for the season. Erika is starting at left wing tonight. League waived the helmet requirement so she can get her hair done. 

Also, Bratt is not very durable at all. 

Praying Jackie Redmond centers that line.

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That’s kind of unfair. The biggest injury he’s had so far was a broken jaw from a puck to the face. Don’t think many players are coming out of that unscathed. 

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He got hit in the ankle with a shot. That has nothing to do with durability.

Ok, that’s fair. Injury prone, then?

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ok, that’s fair. Injury prone, then?

Probably too early in his career to say that, but god I hope not.  Looks like the Devils are likely going to try to lock up one injury-prone player in Hall (not saying that they shouldn’t take that risk).  Just sucks when you have too many guys that you can’t count on to stay healthy.  I remember some of those Lindros Flyer teams (of course Lindros himself was a big reason why) seeming like they always had key guys out of the lineup.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I remember some of those Lindros Flyer teams (of course Lindros himself was a big reason why) seeming like they always had key guys out of the lineup.

Scott Stevens was another reason. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sundstrom said:

i don't think it happens much because the cost is prohibitive. and rather than just offer sheet, you're better off simply working out a trade for the player.

pretty much. You have to way overpay to get a good player and on top of it give up high draft picks. Too risky. If a GM does that and their season goes wrong and they cough up a high first(s) they'll get fired.

Can someone let me know what you give up if a player like Kapenen signs said offer sheet? Isn't it like 3-4 1st round picks in a row? Does it depend on $$$ player is signed for? I'm not about to pay 3/4 1st round picks unless this player is truly a player that'll get us a cup. Trouba get us a cup? Kapenen? are you sh>tting me? They help us get better, sure

6 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

pretty much. You have to way overpay to get a good player and on top of it give up high draft picks. Too risky. If a GM does that and their season goes wrong and they cough up a high first(s) they'll get fired.

I think the point there though is that the team likely has no interest in trading the player - that's kind of the whole idea beyond offer sheets, to try and poach players from other teams, or at the very least, screw with their roster and salary structure as others have mentioned.  

1 minute ago, vadvlfan said:

Can someone let me know what you give up if a player like Kapenen signs said offer sheet? Isn't it like 3-4 1st round picks in a row? Does it depend on $$$ player is signed for? I'm not about to pay 3/4 1st round picks unless this player is truly a player that'll get us a cup. Trouba get us a cup? Kapenen? are you sh>tting me? They help us get better, sure

Yeah, it depends on the amount of money that you would be offering to player X.  Players making more than 10M per year (i.e. your difference makers in the league) require 4 first round picks.  Guys making between 8-10M require 2 1sts, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd.  

I agree guys like Trouba and Kapanen aren't worth that.  To me there's really only 5 guys or so in the league, maybe 10, that would be worth 4 1st round picks.  Think about it, giving up 4 1sts will set your team back a LONG way. The situation would have to be perfect and the stars would have to align in order for it to be worth it.  

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, it depends on the amount of money that you would be offering to player X.  Players making more than 10M per year (i.e. your difference makers in the league) require 4 first round picks.  Guys making between 8-10M require 2 1sts, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd.  

I agree guys like Trouba and Kapanen aren't worth that.  To me there's really only 5 guys or so in the league, maybe 10, that would be worth 4 1st round picks.  Think about it, giving up 4 1sts will set your team back a LONG way. The situation would have to be perfect and the stars would have to align in order for it to be worth it.  

If you think about it....  Lets say you are a great team, or well on your way of being a great team.  You anticipate having picks between 20-30.  The chance of those picks working out, are probably 50-50 and at what level?  In addition, if your team is now constantly winning with a franchise player it is worth i

We have had 4 1st rd picks in a row that have amounted to nothing.  If you aren't drafting well, it seems like a no brainer! LOL!  

Biggest thing here is does the player want to come to the team!

5 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

If you think about it....  Lets say you are a great team, or well on your way of being a great team.  You anticipate having picks between 20-30.  The chance of those picks working out, are probably 50-50 and at what level?  In addition, if your team is now constantly winning with a franchise player it is worth i

We have had 4 1st rd picks in a row that have amounted to nothing.  If you aren't drafting well, it seems like a no brainer! LOL!  

Biggest thing here is does the player want to come to the team!

Yeah that's true. I guess it depends on the GM and scouts and their track record of being able to hit on picks.  Also, you have to take into account the fact that those picks might be worth something in terms of sheer trade value.  You might not be able to draft a player and have them be a sure-fire 1st line player in a year or two, but there's still a perceived value to it which generally brings back a pretty good asset in return.  Just look and what we were almost able to get for Johansson - we got a 2nd for him, but many people didn't think it was out of the question that he would almost be worth a 1st.

I think the part at the end - whether or not the player actually wants to come to the team - is often one of the bigger hurdles, but then again like you said if you're a team that's already above average and potentially making a legitimate run for the Cup, then maybe your team would be of interest to the player after all.